Profile for Sammij > Reviews

Content by Sammij

Sammij "bookmadgirl" (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
One Night: Promised (One Night Trilogy 1)
One Night: Promised (One Night Trilogy 1)
by Jodi Ellen Malpas
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Really undecided, 21 July 2014
I have re-read Jesse & Ava's stories time & time again, was very excited to see this on the shelf.

My title says it all, I really don't know whether i liked this or not. The story seemed too similar to the This Man trilogy and I do understand why an author will stick to the same format, however some scenes were almost cut n pasted ( the nightclub scene for one)

But the big thing for me was M and why some people on here are complaining that other reviewers have revealed his name, it's on page 30 for gods sake......anyway back to M, he was just a bit too creepy, if I pictured him he looked like the polish market inspector who was on Eastenders recently, smug n smarmy!!

& the big reveal by M, I guessed halfway through and again, just made me shudder.

So def no Jesse or Ava, I've even struggled to remember the girls name in this one, she was so boring.

So I shall buy the next one & prob the next, but let's guess, the start of the next one will be the agonising by Livy (that's her name lol) of whether she should get back with M or not...........

Little Beach Street Bakery
Little Beach Street Bakery
by Jenny Colgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but....., 2 July 2014
I haven't read a JC book in years & couldn't remember why..... Until halfway through I realised, the use of SHOUTY CAPITALS on almost every page...why......????

Little moan over, this was a good read, great characters, loved the best mate & Reuben - deserves a book of his own! did remind me of a Jill Mansell book (yes got the Gillian Manse reference.

Easy, simple read, great for a few hours on a sun lounger.

Beneath This Man (This Man Trilogy 2)
Beneath This Man (This Man Trilogy 2)
by Jodi Ellen Malpas
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this trilogy, 27 Jun 2014
Forgot to post this review after I had read.

As I have now read all 3' I won't give any spoilers away, you will thoroughly enjoy this and will not wait to get to book 3' a must read trilogy, I think miles better than FSOG.

Who doesn't want Jessie in their life.......?!

The Inheritance
The Inheritance
by Tilly Bagshawe
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A great summer read, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
This is a perfect beach read, a very old style 'bonk buster' - did remind me like a few reviewers have commented on, true Jilly cooper style!

Old ancestral family v new money and all that will entail, a very spoilt young, beautiful girl, rich older man, family tie ins, and an old English village = a lot of great characters.

Did feel it was quite a predictable read and the ending was rushed, would have liked an epilogue.

However, a great read and I did enjoy.

Into the Deep
Into the Deep
by Samantha Young
Price: 7.05

2.0 out of 5 stars Too young for me..., 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Into the Deep (Paperback)
Didn't realise this was a YA novel as I love the On Dublin st series.

A good read, if you like the American style, bit too high school for me,but not a patch on SY other books, I guess if you are in the age this is aimed for, it would be great, but not for me being (ahem 35-40ish.....)

Probate: The guide to obtaining grant of probate and administering an estate
Probate: The guide to obtaining grant of probate and administering an estate
by LLB Gordon Bowley
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still need a legal dictionary!, 16 Jun 2014
Received this as dealing with a late uncles estate who died 'intestate'

Yes parts very useful, however i wish this book had been a little clearer from the beginning, still had to use trusty internet to look stuff up and if I'm being honest, the gov.co.uk web page has a very clear guide to all things probate.

I guess it all depends on the complexity of the estate you are dealing with, in our case less than 150k, so a good buy.

The Summer Without You
The Summer Without You
by Karen Swan

4.0 out of 5 stars A great summer read, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Summer Without You (Paperback)
I do enjoy KS books but sometimes find them a bit drawn out.

Loved the setting of the Hamptons, descriptions of the places were fantastic, however this did tend to get a little tiring halfway through when everything was described in such detail, but none the less, a good summer beach read.

The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
by Paige Toon
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A YA read?, 15 Jun 2014
Was very surprised when I realised I was reading a YA book by Paige Toon - a great read and if you are fan, then a must read!

Beauty (Louise Bagshawe)
Beauty (Louise Bagshawe)
by Louise Mensch

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Louise great!, 15 Jun 2014
I always enjoy a Louise Mensch (Bagshawe) book, perfect glossy read.

When this started it was a little of a tried and tested style, poor girl from wrong side of the tracks does good - starting with being wronged by a man and then halfway through meeting 'the one'--- but you know what, if that's her style, stick with it.

An very enjoyable read, perfect for the summer holiday!

You're the One That I Want
You're the One That I Want
by Giovanna Fletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her first, 6 Jun 2014
I really loved the first book by Giovanna Fletcher and really wanted to enjoy this one as well.

I found it (and i'm sorry, as everyone else loved this) quite boring from halfway through, yes the characters were great, Giovanna's writing style is lovely- but maybe when you've read as many chic lit books (& others) as i have - this just seemed a little too 'gushing' and full of Dawsons Creek style prowse and thoughts - i guess this is the age group aimed at (i'm a little older!) and i do agree with some other reviewers - the ending was very rushed!

So i skipped the last 20 pages or so as i just became slightly irritated by the 3 friends, just kept thinking 'oh grow up'.

i liked - just didn't love.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11