Profile for Sammij > Reviews

Content by Sammij

Sammij "bookmadgirl" (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
The House We Grew Up In
The House We Grew Up In
by Lisa Jewell

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful - just beautiful, 15 Aug. 2013
Honestly - thats the only way I can describe Lisa Jewells books!

I started this one thinking 'I don't want it to finish' and thats how i've felt about all of her books from Ralphs Party (where i had to order another copy as my first one was so tatty!) to this one.

You just love her characters and when the 'secret' came out in this one - i was shocked - but again, done with such understanding, you soon get over it and just want to read on.

It has certainly made me look again at those Hoarders type programmes - I certainly won't feel like i did before reading this ''oh they can SURELY tidy up'

If you've never read Lisa Jewell before - I truly envy you!

This Is How It Ends
This Is How It Ends
by Kathleen MacMahon

3.0 out of 5 stars We all know how this ends......, 19 May 2013
This review is from: This Is How It Ends (Paperback)
I won't give anything away by saying we know how this book ends - after all if the blurb says 'if you loved One Day....' then you kind of guess where this book is heading.

Like many others i read all they hype & started this book with very high expectations.

It started well, some quite interesting characters, but I just didn't get Addie at all - - in fact I thought she was dull dull dull. Didn't understand why she wouldn't introduce Bruno to Hugh (her dad) even though she was living in dads basemanent flat (!!) weird. Della was a great character, hilarious. And the back story with her dad, what happened there??

A lot of drawn out pages with, well - a lot of nothing really. Towards the end I just flicked as knew where we were headed.

It was ok though - another reader said 'very easy to put down' and thats what i will say. Def not a page turner.

Glad it only cost me £1.95 at my local Tesco.

Losing It
Losing It
by Cora Carmack

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if your aged between 15-20........, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Losing It (Paperback)
I bought this as on offer for £1.95 and the blurb read as sounding a quick easy frothy read..

which it was - -but only if you are a teenager - anyone over the age of 20 (like me -by a few years lol) will just read and then revert back to something a little more adult and interesting.

The Trap
The Trap
by Kimberley Chambers

4.0 out of 5 stars The Krays revisted...., 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Trap (Paperback)
I really love KC books - to me she has surpassed Martina Cole as queen of 'East End Crime Lit'

However......I started reading The Trap and kept thinking 'sounds very familiar' - we have 2 brothers, they love their mum and aunty, close knit family, one brother doesn't like women very much/ one brother loathes the others girlfriend / wife.....hmm this is The Krays!!!

Martina Cole has also done this with one of her earlier books and its just very dissapointing when the story has been done time & time again.

It definitely wasn't a bad read, but I have left halfway through as i was just becoming a bit bored< i will pick up again and buy the next KC book, I just felt this was same old.

The Stag and Hen Weekend
The Stag and Hen Weekend
by Mike Gayle

3.0 out of 5 stars Def not his best!, 18 Feb. 2013
I purposely didn't buy this in hardback as when i read the blurb, i thought to myself 'sounds a bit same old'........ in my opinion I was right!

I will always hold a soft spot for MG as my husband had never read a book until Turning Thirty and then i had to drag all the old MG books out so he could read them - I re-read them all & loved them all over again.

But with this one - i was bored from about page 5 (I started with the Hen w/end....) it was just so predictable and then skimmed read the remainder to see if i had guessed what had happened (it had) and then i turned to the Stag w/end.

Again - predictable and sooo boring. skimmed read to the end & then realised that i didn't even like Helen or Phil as characters so couldn't care less what happened.

However - -MG writing style is still so spot one with the 30+ / early 40's genre, & loved the 2 parter idea - also no real belly laugh moments as with previous books??!!!

Sorry Mike - personally didn't enjoy, but from reading the reviews I know plenty of others did - -as me & husband have just turned 40 - i'm praying your next one is Turning 40!!'

Don't Want To Miss A Thing
Don't Want To Miss A Thing
by Jill Mansell

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then the last!, 7 Feb. 2013
I will start by saying that whilst I LOVE Jill Mansell books - her last one really really annoyed me (too many characters similiar to her other books) and when I saw this in a well known supermarket for £7.00, I did dither but decided to buy.

I am soo glad i did - a very emotional start and Dex was a character that I loved from the beginning and even though Jill has kept to her tried & tested method of lovely little village with fab people who are all funny / quirky and almost too good to be true -you know what, nothing wrong with that.

This book for me was like putting on a lovely comfy onesie, wouldn't want to wear (read) all the time - but every now & then - a heartwarming and quite funny read.

I will say it again though as I did in my last review for JM - if you've not read her before, please please start with Fast Friends, for me one of the best chick lit books ever written and I have re read so many times as its my fail safe book!

Days of Blood and Starlight: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 2
Days of Blood and Starlight: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 2
by Laini Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love!, 30 Dec. 2012
I so wanted to love this book!! Bought as a xmas present form my lovely hubby - I was delighted & started to read on xmas night.

By page 10 i was bored - cannot believe i am typing that, as Daughter of Smoke & Bone I have re-read about 10 times.

DOSAB was an addictive read from page one - loved the characters - feel in love with the characters is far more accurate - however with this I felt was far too descriptive of the new worlds, far too many new characters and tbh - the storyline was quite dull.

I have reached page 230 and I have had to very reluctantly put down as its just not gripping me enough.

Am praying - book 3 will be better.

Thoughtless (Thoughtless 1)
Thoughtless (Thoughtless 1)
by S.C. Stephens

3.0 out of 5 stars the New Fifty Shades - I don't think so!, 22 Oct. 2012
I will start this review saying I am not a teenager or even in my early 20's - I think another reviewer put it perfectly on here - of you're over say 25+ - this is not for you.

which is a shame really- i loved Beautiful Disaster (beautfully written) and from reading the blurb on this - i was kind of hoping for the same.

story is very simple - girl & boy move to another town as boy has new job, girl up sticks to be with him, they move into house & girl falls in love with 3rd party - boys so called friend.

I think for me the characters were just so boring (sorry Kellan fans - but he is no Mr Grey as was mentioned on the cover) Keira a tad annoying and the way she cheats on boyfriend I found a bit disturbing - SPOILER -who would shag their lover whilst boyfriend is asleep in the next room - maybe cos i'm not 20, i just thought eww[...]

Very long winded in places - pages of narrative describing, well , nothing really.

I did read til the end as wanted to see who ended up with who - you can guess how it all ends, but i was very surprised to read there will be 2 more books - crikey - how much more angst can you take!!

Overall - its ok - but avoid if you are over 25.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2012 9:30 PM GMT

Friends and Rivals
Friends and Rivals
by Tilly Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others.., 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Friends and Rivals (Paperback)
I love Tilly Bagshawe - i think she even surpasses sister Louise in the chic lit novels.

Friends n Rivals started as an excellent faced paced typical TB read, however - halfway through i was becoming slightly bored. I had guessed who would end up with who (i think you realise after about 20 pages) and it did start to lose something.

by then end i was almost rushing to finish, which i never do with a TB book.

I still enjoyed - but the sparkle and interest of the previous books just isn't there for me - BUT i will still rush to buy her next one tho!!

Bared to You (Crossfire, Book 1)
Bared to You (Crossfire, Book 1)
by Sylvia Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Better then FSOG me thinks, 19 Aug. 2012
I was one of those who loved FSOG and needed a filler.

Am halfway through & needed to share my views - this book is far better written than FSOG and Eva is more believable then Ana -however (and this is soo shallow i know - i loathe the name Gideon and its just bothered me throughout - sorry to anyone who has a Gideon in their life -this is purely personal)

Once over that sillyness - i am thoroughly enjoying this - yes its kinda the same as FSOG but thats ok -cos thats what i was looking for. The sex scenes are far more realistic and not the b all and end all of everything, like FSOG.

Didn't realise this was going to be a trilogy as well - so looking forward to Oct!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15