Profile for Sammij > Reviews

Content by Sammij

Sammij "bookmadgirl" (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Daughter
Daughter
by Jane Shemilt

1.0 out of 5 stars V disappointing!, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Paperback)
Don't think I have ever read a book & skipped almost every other page!

I found this book slow, pretentious, with the most shallow characters I have ever come across. Long paragraphs of the most drawn out rubbish, in the end I couldn't care less what had happened to Naomi, her mum, dad, brothers.

Skip to the last page & you will find out exactly what happened to her.

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooh not sure!!, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Paperback)
Wasn't a huge fan of Jane Austen growing up, but am a huge fan of Val Mcdermid so thought i would give this a go.

Strange....really strange. nothing of VM style here at all but I guess that's the point?

Great if you are teenager, great if you like romance and if you know the JA book, you may well love this updated version.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 5:50 AM GMT

Pop Goes the Weasel: DI Helen Grace 2
Pop Goes the Weasel: DI Helen Grace 2
by M. J. Arlidge

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good sequel, 13 Sept. 2014
Follow up to eeny meany, which I loved

DCI Helen Grace returns after the events of the first book which rocked her world or did they? Was intrigued to find out..

A little more back story and I love the fact that the main character is so flawed, she has some real issues and you do understand why a lot more in this hook

I agree with other reviewers, not as gripping as the first, but this does happen a lot with second books ( Chris Carter being the exception methinks!!)

Just as graphic as the first and descriptions are spot on.

If you like a thriller, slightly graphic & realistic characters, you will love this author.

Ps same title as a James Patterson early book, is that allowed??

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE THIS!!, 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Paperback)
I have to admit i originally read this book when published years ago - but as an avid 're-reader', I finished this again yesterday and it is truly fabulous!

I LOVED Sadie - real LOL moments with her & her 'stroppiness' and this whole book just read like a dream.

Please buy or re-read - well worth it!

Lamaze Play And Grow Sir Prance-a-Lot
Lamaze Play And Grow Sir Prance-a-Lot
Offered by The Entertainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Sept. 2014
This was bought for a 6 month old & he absolutely loves it, well made, noisy, colourful- perfect!! And the name just makes me smile every time I see it lol

Taking Hollywood
Taking Hollywood
by Shari King

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry Jackie C!!, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
I'm going to be completely honest here, have about 30 pages to go before I finish this book...

It's ok, a bit Jackie Collins esque, and clearly the publishers wanted the book to be sold on that with the cover - but in my mind not as good as the queen of Hollywood tales.

I didn't feel like i do with JC books that I was reading anything 'startling' about the Hollywood life, we all know what goes on behind the A listers doors is no way reflected in their public persona, this book just seemed to read like the pages of Heat magazine!

As I said it was ok, just not memorable.

The Fixed Trilogy
The Fixed Trilogy
by Laurelin Paige

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as the other one....!, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Fixed Trilogy (Paperback)
Gonna add to all the other 5* reviews - i think its just as good as FSOG - personally would like the leading man to be a little older than 28/29? but thats just me.

If you're after a FSOG book - then this will be right up your street, the main character Alayna has real issues and what she & Hudson go through - makes Ana & Christian seem like a fairy tale!

A very hefty book if you purcahse the trilogy as one book from Amazon - (just don't expect to take the book on hols - it will take up half your baggage allowance - its that hefty!)

well worth a purchase if this is your type of read

The Forever Song (Blood of Eden)
The Forever Song (Blood of Eden)
by Julie Kagawa

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really good!!, 3 Sept. 2014
I truly loved this series! not being quite (ahem) a young adult, this book to me was so right - the settings / characters and it just screamed 'make me into a film!!'

Halfway through this there is a shock - and you can't see a way through this - but JK does and the last 30 apges - in was almost holding my breath.

a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy - well worth a purchae if you like the future / vampire / fantasty type of book.

Olympus Has Fallen [DVD] [2013]
Olympus Has Fallen [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars USA saves the day film!!, 31 Aug. 2014
Gerard Butler in an action thriller, USA saves the day film. Nothing wrong there at all!!!

A very good take on the Die Hard films, I personally think miles better than White House Down, maybe it was the direction & action on this film, just seemed more polished.

Well worth a purchase or download.

Captain Phillips [DVD] [2013]
Captain Phillips [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Does he do a bad film??!!, 31 Aug. 2014
Cannot believe it's taken me all this time to watch this film, was slightly worried as had read ' shaky camera'
' and I loathe that in films as makes me feel slightly dizzy, but sat night with not a lot on, gave this a go.

& blimey, from the start, was gripped, Tom Hanks is such a good actor - with some actors you know you are watching them ( Tom Cruise springs to mind) but with TH, he was Captain Phillips.

Tense, nail biting, a superb real piece of drama & the supporting Somali cast, equally as good.

Well worth buying or downloading, a perfect sat night film!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14