Profile for Mikey G > Reviews

Stepping Out
Stepping Out
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Just needs a DVD release to keep her happy!, 18 Dec. 2014
Rented this for my Mum. She's loves it.

Just needs a DVD release to keep her happy!

The Best British Short Stories 2014
The Best British Short Stories 2014
by Nicholas Royle

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Dec. 2014
I bought this thinking that I could read one story during my lunch hour at work on my Kindle. I'd recently finished reading all the short story anthologies that I owned by Maragaret Atwood and was tempted to branch out to other authors. This seemed the ideal way of doing this.

I was however very disappointed. The stories are banal and the writing stitled, convaluted and facile. There is nothing in these stories to encourage a reader to engage with them. I found that these became a chore to read and there was no sense of enjoyment. Rather that leaving me wanting more after finishing each story I often couldn't wait for the stories to be over. Why would I choose to read stories the calibre of the following when there is a whole raft of other creative, stimulating stories out there:

"It lay at the end of a long, badly lit second-floor landing, which still smelt of food cooked there in the 1960s: a section of a room - perhaps twelve feet by ten, painted white, accessed from a fire-door with the remains of brokend bolts laced down the inside - so literalistically partioned out of the original Victorian space that the light filtered in from about two-thirds of a bay window".

Disappointing.

Sagemcom RTI95320 Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder 320GB
Sagemcom RTI95320 Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder 320GB
Offered by Hughes Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Excelled HD quality - but a few irritating quirks, 10 Sept. 2013
My old PVR broke so I needed to get a replacement.

For the price this ticked all the boxes. Always worth paying a bit more to get HD capabilities these days.

So far it's worked a treat. However be aware that there a few design flaws with the usage that will jar if you've been using another make/brand.

For example it stores your recorded shows in folders named after the show. Handy for having linked recording in one place. Not so handy for instantly seeing what you have watched. Even when going into the folder it still wont show you what has already been viewed.

Secondly it doesn't show what programmes have been set to record if you're not viewing the actual programme on the TV planner screen, you are only made aware of a clash when you try and schedule three programmes. My previous machine set one or two red lines above the TV Guide screen showing if any recordings had been made.

Thirdly when viewing a recorded show you phyiscally have to press the stop button before it allows you to move to another screen. Minor irritation but other machines I've used just allow you to navigate away from the recorded show instantly.

Fourthly the subtitle button isn't as straightforward as putting them on or off, you have to scroll through a number of options via the main menu.

These are only minor quibbles and if you havent used a PVR before you probably won't notice that it's a bit unusual doing this. It also wouldnt stop me buying this again; you just have to be aware that different brands have different operating procedures.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 5:55 PM BST

Trinity
Trinity

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucy fun romp, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Trinity (Kindle Edition)
Hats off to Nigel for writing a fun sexy romp that makes you wonder, considering the author's showbiz background, how much of this is fact or fiction.

The story has morals too in that bad behaviour doesn't always go unpunished, and that if you're true to yourself and your friends you are in a much stronger position.

It's a fun read so download this and see if you can be enveloped in the world of the Trinity girls that Nigel has so cleverly created.

Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD]
Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamsin Greig
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated gem, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this after remembering how much I had enjoyed it when shown on TV.

It's an underrated gem, although beginning to look dated.

Nothing like it on TV at the moment so definitely worth purchasing.

Vivitar Vivicam V46 Digital Camera - Blue (4.1MP, 1.5" Preview Screen, Movie Mode))

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long enough to form an opinion, 1 Sept. 2013
I bought this as a gift for an 8 year old nephew. I was attracted to how simple and straightforward it appeared to be to use and was also a good price.

After giving it to him within a day it was broken. Still no idea what happened but having had various cameras in the past that have been through bumps and knocks with me and not broken, I was surprised that this was broken so easily.

As it wasn't used I can't rate it's effectiveness except to say it's no particularly sturdy.

I'm Starved for You (Kindle Single) (Positron Book 1)
I'm Starved for You (Kindle Single) (Positron Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the themes and ideas started in the Oryx and Crake trilogy, 1 Sept. 2013
I like the idea of a serialised story format, just be aware that depending on when you join in with this you may have to wait for the next chapter to be released.

Margaret Atwood continues using dystopian ideas of the future started in the Oryx and Crake trilogy of books (as well as The Handmaiden's Tale) and makes us look at ideas and themes that are relevant to us now.

Her writing style is deceptively easy to read but she manages to convey ideas and the way in which we humans act and think in a much more accessible way that some authors who feel the need to use a thousand words to set a scene.

If you're already a fan of Margaret Atwood then you should have already downloaded this. If not it's a quick easy read as an introduction to her work.

Colgate C200 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate C200 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Offered by imperialoutlet-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars If you want to buy an electric toothbrush this will tick all the boxes, 1 Sept. 2013
If, like me, you want to try an electric toothbrush as opposed to a manual one then I can't fault this on price and ease of use.

It's easy to use, fairly stylish for a toothbrush and with Colgate you know it's a trusted brand.

What I will say is manage your expectations. Using this will help improve your dental health, but I eventually went back to a manual toothbrush. I like being able to control how long I brush for, you can use this in two minute bursts, and I also worried that I wasn't cleaning my teeth as vigorously as before with the manual toothbrush.

If you combine this with flossing, and mouthwash I think the price is good enough for you to trial using this. Just make sure that you are not asking it to do more than it's capable of.