Profile for Guy > Reviews

Content by Guy

Guy

Page: 1 | 2
Kaufmann Sings Wagner [Staatskapelle Dresden, Jonas Kaufmann, Christian Thielemann] [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Staatskapelle Dresden

4.0 out of 5 stars short changed, 7 May 2014
I WAS ENTHRALLED with the singing of Kaufmann as usual.the audio and picture superb . However I was disappointed that the disc was only just over 1 hr long and of this we only heard Kaufmann singing for 30 min ! Since the main reason for getting this disc is to hear this great tenor I felt that I had been short changed++. And the disc was in the top price bracket as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 3:18 PM BST

Netrebko And Hvorostovsky [Blu Ray] [2013] [DVD]
Netrebko And Hvorostovsky [Blu Ray] [2013] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Netrebko Dmitri Hvorostovsky State Academic Symphony Orchestra "Evgeny Svetlanov" Academic Grand Choir "Masters Of Choral Singing" Constantine Orbelian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concert by the greatest artists, 23 Nov 2013
This would have to rate as one of the most enjoyable concerts I have had the pleasure of watching and listening to. Both Dimitri and Anna were in superb voice. It must have been a bit distracting for them to be looking into the glare of the setting sun.(Probably this is a rarity in Moscow!!)Both the artists and the audience seemed to be enjoying the occasion. The choir and the orchestra were excellent as well. The picture and sound on Blu-ray was exemplary.Buy it and you won't be disappointed.

Europa Konzert 2006 (Symphony 35/ 36/ Piano Concerto/ Horn Concerto) (Radek Baborįk/ Berliner Philharmoniker/ Daniel Barenboim) (Euroarts: 2055304) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Radek Baborįk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb concert, 19 Aug 2013
I dont know when I have enjoyed a concert as much as this one.The venue is spectacular ,;the music was sperbely recorded and the picture was stunning.What more can I say except that no-one could be disappointed if the purchased this disc.

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6 (Mariinsky Orchestra / Gergiev) [Blu-ray][Region Free]
Offered by Speedyhen Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars a QUALIFIED RESPONSE, 9 May 2013
Much as I enjoy these Tchaikovsky symphonies I was a bit disappointed in this disc. The sound to my ear is only in very good Stereo and the last symphony No 6 is very badly lit. All the players looked quite cadaveric even when the colour was made more intense on the screen. Also to be fussy why doesn't Gergiev either grow a decent beard or shave! He looks really scruffy with that "designer stubble!My other quibble is that some of the soft pianissimo passages are inaudible and if one turns up the volume then ones ears are shattered by the loud passages. Gergiev's tempi are rather exaggerated but I guess that is his interpretation.The camera work leaves much to be desired with too much focusing on the conductor's hands.I found this too distracting. None the less I did enjoy the disc very much and not even my nit-picking could spoil these magnificent orchestral works

Humperdinck: Konigskinder [Blu-ray] [2012]
Humperdinck: Konigskinder [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Kaufmann

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 29 Mar 2013
I was very disappointed in this Blue-ray disc for two reasons. One was that the story that was portrayed was absolutely ridiculous ;apart from the Jonas Kaufmann who would have to rate as one of my favourite voices the cast is very ordinary. The soprano is much too old for that part so that one tends to lose any sympathy with her fate. The production in my mind was so infantile that it was almost an insult to the intelligence. I think sometimes producers get so carried away with trying to modernise the story that they ruin it from a spectator's point of view. If amongst your viewers you have anyone who would like to buy it cheaply. I would be only too glad to get rid of it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 2:44 PM GMT

Liszt/ Wagner: Barenboim (Piano Concertos/ Overtures) (Accentus: ACC10239) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Daniel Barenboim

5.0 out of 5 stars magnificent, 1 Feb 2013
once again Barenboim shows us his piano prowess in these two exciting works by Franz Liszt. On Blu-ray the sound and picture is flawless

Andras Schiff Plays Schubert 199: Piano Trios, Arpeggione Sonata (Euroarts: 2066798) [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Andrįs Schiff
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful restoration, 1 Feb 2013
The two Schubert trios and the Arpeggione Sonata are beautifully played and the sound is excellent for its age and has probably been restored. I found the playing of all three soloists was superb. The works are, for me, rather repetitive but I would be very presumptuous to criticise Schubert! I think that once he had a good melody he worked it for all it was worth!

Puccini: Tosca (Royal Opera House 2011) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Puccini: Tosca (Royal Opera House 2011) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Angela Gheorghiu

5.0 out of 5 stars superb performance of Puccini's masterpiece, 1 Feb 2013
as I have mentioned in a previous review I think that the performance of Tosca is one of the best if not the best that can one could possibly hope to hear and see in one's lifetime . The principle three singers are so magnificent .and the acting is beyond reproach. I personally could not recommend this disc highly enough and would give it seven stars if such was available. Just go and buy it.

Wagner: Ring Without Words (Berlin Philharmoniker/ Lorin Maazel) (Euroarts: 2057607) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Berlin Philharmoniker

4.0 out of 5 stars I should have bought the complete set, 1 Feb 2013
this compilation of Wagner's Ring cycle music it is certainly magnificent and beautifully played by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. I would buy the complete set of Wagner Ring cycle but I think the story rather puts me off. it is so ridiculous!

Mahler: Symphony No.8 (Dudamel) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Mahler: Symphony No.8 (Dudamel) [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Mahler

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic performance of a great work, 21 Jan 2013
All in all this is a fantastic Blue-ray and both the picture and sound is exemplary . My only reservation was that I personally think that the soloists were really in the first rank .But then again the music that they are required to sing must be the most taxing that Mahler could have dreamed up ! My greatest joy was the chorus which despite the huge numbers in the choir(s) was perfectly recorded and never became "muddy".. I am delighted and inspired by this monumental work. Dudemal is a genius to have been able to conduct the vast numbers both in the orchestra and in the choirs. It takes very good audio and visual equipment to do this disc justice I may say

Page: 1 | 2