Profile for Tom Dickson > Reviews

FIFA Football World Cup Replica Trophy Gold Look 32 CM 1.6 KG Weight New
FIFA Football World Cup Replica Trophy Gold Look 32 CM 1.6 KG Weight New
Offered by Toyworld & Gifts For You

3.0 out of 5 stars From a distance, very good. Up close..., 14 Jun. 2014
I bought this trophy for a friend of mine, a regular football fanatic. Although I was warned it would take a while for the replica to arrive, it appeared at my door in a matter of days! On the surface everything about this looked authentic.

It looked metallic (it appears to have been made from a hard plastic) it had the writing on the bottom, was the right size. But the more I studied the replica, the more unappeling it appeared. The writing at the bottom was on top of a slightly misaligned sticker, the green stripes where peeling off and there are some small white stains all over the thing. All in all this trophy appeared somewhat cheap to me, but when I showed it to other people, they loved it! And I must admit, after I cleaned it up and restuck the stickers before wrapping it up, it looked pretty good.

It might be dirty and unappeling when you unbox it, but as long as you have the time to fix the imperfections, then this trophy is a great gift or decoration.

Star Wars: Death Troopers
Star Wars: Death Troopers
by Joe Schreiber

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombie wars, 30 April 2012
It seems an intresting combination. star wars meets zombies. this isn't the first time star wars has dwelled into the realm of horror, with games/ books and even the films themselves using the elements of fear to scare the player. yet Death Troopers is a new breed of fear. it's a gore infested story of a horrific virus that turns people into flesh eating beasts, and focuses on a young boy as he tries to survive with a small group of non-infected. But this time, it's covered in the skin of a star wars setting.
to be honest, the tale is intresting. I personnaly like the idea of zombies in the star wars universe, and the tale is quite terrifying at times, with the writer making me feel breathless at times as I envisioned thousands of zombies clambering to devour our heroes!
be warned however,the tale is extremly gory and you could be shocked at what is shown in these pages. if you are of a nervous dispostion, the story may become too much at times, though if you want high amounts of gore in a story, you'll be quite pleased.
there are problems with the tale. two beloved characters from the films are shoved in just for star appeal (you can probably guess who) and the story feels rather rushed near the end, as the characters try to escape, defeat the undead and end their plot points. it ends up feeling rather rushed and you could forget what happend in the final few pages due to the rushed nature.
the story also feels out of placed. No it's not the violence, though high amounts of violence have always been seen in star wars, though it's mostly restrained (limbs are constantly cut off, but are easily healed) simply, the books doesn't fit in with star wars. say what you will, but most star wars tales always fit in with the universe due to the content and the story itself. the tale simply feels rather bland and instead would have worked far better perhaps as a normal everyday story. I won't say it doesn't sound intresting, but perhaps next time, a horror star wars novel shoudl rely on more subtal methods instead of high amounts of gore.
in short, if you like star wars, getting scared and the zombie infested gore fest then this is the book for you. for those who like only one of the elements I've stated, this book could intrest you, though it won't be a memorable tale.

Star Wars Ultimate FX Lightsaber (Darth Vader)
Star Wars Ultimate FX Lightsaber (Darth Vader)

4.0 out of 5 stars the force is strong in this toy..., 24 Mar. 2012
I suppose I should start by saying why I bought the lightsaber. well to be honest, I did it out of love for my force fx lightsabers. I was going to make a spoof of the origanal star wars film and due to the sabers now even more expensive cost (back when they came out, I clearly remeber my first one being £60 while now there around £150) I decided I would be using a tougher brand of lightsaber that wouldn't break.
so as luck would have it, imagine my suprise when I heard that they had created a version of the force fx for little kids. surely these would be tough enough to stand the difficult fight in which obi-wan and vader desperatly try to recreate the fast paced action of the prequel fights?
well, the answer is yes. this ultimate bad boy is perhaps one of the coolest toy's (or collectbles for the adults out their) you can get for star wars without spending hundreds of pounds.
postively, the ultimate fx lightsaber has the same lightsaber effects and authentic sounds as the more high quality force fx sabers. it also comes with an authentic plastic looking hilt and a tougher blade for all that fast paced dueling! the sounds also feel more exciting than the actual force fx saber itself. for instance, the force fx vader saber makes a boring and bland hissing sound whenever it clashes against anything, but the ultimate fx lightsaber actually uses various diffrent clash effects, which leads to far more exciting fights. a plus is the fact you actually have to push the button instead of sliding or turning it, meaning it's easier to turn on/off and is more authentic.

sadly there are problems. the blade is quite short, meaning, while it will be the right size for your child, it will be quite small for a fully grown adult. it doesn't take away from the fun and is even quite useful, as you have less chance of hitting all the important objects in your house/ aparment...space ship, but it will feel slightly weak when you compare it with the force fx vader saber. the sound is also very quiet. this can obviously be useful if you get annoyed buy the loud sounds of your childs/ other halfs/ freinds toy's, but if you want the saber to sound as loud as the movies or video games portray you will feel disappointed.

So should you get this lightsaber? well if you know someone who is a huge star wars fan, then yes, Theres no question that they should recieve it!
if your looking for a more authentic weapon and don't mind spending large amounts of money, then I would go with the force fx lightsabers.
just a little tip, there is a small switch on the bottom of the hilt, near the grip area, that switches the saber off completly, places it on try me mode and places it fully on play mode. you'll want to slide it completly down to place it on to play mode. it's right at the bottom of the black lines/ grip. you should notice it if you look alongsides the silver bumps and find a slighty bigger one with some numbers on the grip to the right.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my saber when filmings done. I might give them to my little cousin, who due to his families nature, is probably going to become a sci fi fan. that would be cool, dueling with him...

GREEN POP AFRO WIG
GREEN POP AFRO WIG
Offered by Best Fancy Dress

3.0 out of 5 stars The jokes on you!, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: GREEN POP AFRO WIG (Toy)
I bought the wig for a clown costume and was suprised at the quality of the wig. it looked suitble for the costume and felt slightly real.
however, the wig had been falling apart before I even got it, with several bald patches being seen across the wig. as time went on, more of the hair started to fall out so now, these meduim sized patches have grown larger. the wig is also not as large as seen in the picture, with it ending just above my ears.
simply put the mask is good for a low quality costume, but won't last long.
so be warned, it looks nice, but I wouldn't say it's good enough for a high quality costume.

Batman The Dark Knight 3/4 Adult Mask
Batman The Dark Knight 3/4 Adult Mask

4.0 out of 5 stars Good costume piece., 25 Feb. 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
this is going to be a quick review.
I needed a batman mask for a film.
I had a choice between a deluxe batman cowl or this little beauty.
guess which one I chose?
the mask is quite simply fantastic compared to the deluxe version. the detail on the face is a far greater quality. the ears actually stick up and finally the colour is a matte black instead of a shiny black. (I compared this with a deluxe version that belonged to my friend)

of course you may nee a balaclava so that nobody can see your head of neck, which will complete the comic book look.

Batman - Dark Knight Deluxe Vol. 1
Batman - Dark Knight Deluxe Vol. 1
by David Finch

2.0 out of 5 stars one side's good...the other? bad!, 25 Feb. 2012
before you ask, no two face is not in this story.
so let's do this. Batman's back. after a tiring journey in time bruce has decided to make the batman legacy into a world wide organization. however, while Dick is looking after Gotham, Bruce has decided to go back after hearing new's of his childhood sweetheart being kidnapped. then some thing about demons and hell follow along with a few stories that just don't make any sense.

okay let's just start with the plot...It's awful. just awful. it starts of intresting, I mean hey a tale of bruce trying to find somebody who is one of the last links to his past makes him feel more human and makes you think what will happen to bruce when all links to his childhood are gone. then it suddenly turns into a story about demons and sacrifice for immortality, which inevitbly lead to you simply paying attention to the art, as the story feels completly out of place. to put it simply, finch is not a good writer. he started off fantasticly, but then let the quality slip to a very low level. he also includes a story of bruce trying to work with damian, but then telling him he's awful and essentially going from an okay father into a terrible one. and then a final tale of an older daiminan wayne who now has taken the mantle of batman and is talking with superman about their dead fathers. and after two pages, just as you think it's starting to lead somewhere, it ends. like somebody switching off a light. in fact, I felt like most elements in this story where quickly finished. and by finished I mean unresolved (probably should have just said that)
so yeah, just an awful set of stories that don't lead anywhere. plus his characters are awful. everything feels out of place, from an almost teenage batman to a stupid killer croc (he is to me diffrent from his incarnation in hush, due to the fact that he is no longer a creature you can pity)his dialouge is also terrible at times, particuly words from bruce's lost love and the demons themselves.

so now it's time for the art. I'll be honest david finch is a great artist...but it's bland. to be honest, it's very similar to jim lee, with nothing unique really popping out to me. his reprsentation of th epenguin is also, to me, awful. it looks like danny divito with an awful punk haricut.
the colouring is also medicore. it looks good in some pages, but at other times feels quite sickening to look at. the style also seems to change from realistic to colourful...which doesn't mix.

I actually had high hopes for this when I first heard of the plotline. I expected a story about how difficult it was for bruce to let go of the past and his home. instead I get some garbage about demons and cults alonside batman once again moaning about his terrible love life.
if you like david finchs art, then I'd wait for the price to drop. if you like batman when he fights off against demons, then go ahead and buy it, though like I siad, this book is just awful and wouldn't be able to satisfy your needs.

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
by Grant Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars The more things change, the more they stay the same., 25 Feb. 2012
I'll be honest, I don't like grant morrison as a writer. my first expirence with him was batman rip and batman and son, which for me where just...awful. I just couldn't understand the plotline or the dialouge. I mean it's like someone turned off a switch in my brain to understand simple sentences! and let's not forget that the books- ahem, sorry.
so why did I pick up batman and robin, if I don't like the writer. the premises, simple as that.

after bruce wayne is killed in battle as the legendary batman, dick grayson (the first robin, who then decided to take the identidy of nightwing) must take up the mantle of the bat, and wear the legendary cape and cowl. he also has to train bruce wayne's son, Daimian Wayne, a former child assasin who has an immense dislike of grayson and belives he should be batman instead of robin the boy wonder.

the first thing you'll notice is the characters. grant morrison is able to change the nature of the dynamic duo without it feeling out of place. batman is now a lighthearted, smiling, yet still serious character, while robin is the dark, brooding, violent warrior. the dialouge between the two is quite simply, fantastic, with the tension in the partnership brilliantly brought up. their's also some fantastic scene's with alfred giving advice to the new dark knight on how he should deal with the role and some great villians (proffesser pyg, a disturbing indivdual, is to me almost as memorable as other members of batmans rouge gallery)

frank quitley art is also striking. the emotions of the characters, the fantastic action on screen, he's able to perfectly capture these moments!
another item of note is quitely's reprsentation of dick graysons batman. he's visibly shorter, thinner and less chisled. but it works! he doesn't look as heroic as the previous batman, but he does look more...normal? relatble? I can't really explain it. finally the colours are brilliant. the range of bright yellows and reds feel out of place at first, but alongside frank's art it feels right.

if I do have a problem, it's the plot. something about a virus? it's not very intresting and I honestly can't remeber what happened in the novel, even though I've had this book for 2 years and have read it constantly. It does feel exciting while your reading the book, but I don't feel that it has ever left a lasting impression on me. and I guess that's okay as in my opinion it's simply there to introduce the setting. although the plot for me is virtually non exsitent, the character reprsentation and the art and the dialouge are all fantastic. I honestly enjoyed this reprsentation of batman and robin and if I'm honest, I think I might like grayson in the cowl more than bruce!

so yes, definetly get this book, if you want the tale of two son's trying to live up to the legacy of their father along with some fantastic action and beatiful art.

"never let me forget the golden rule alfred...the show must go on"
dick grayson

Predator Mask - Adult
Predator Mask - Adult

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent mask, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Predator Mask - Adult (Apparel)
I bought this mask quite a while ago, along with an attachble faceplate. first off I loved it and still do and although it's not the most realistic looking mask of a movie monster, it's certainly one of the best in my opinion.
however, while it looks good, the mask has a few problems. the dreadlocks do fall off, though can be easily glued back on. unfourtantly the mask is quite big, so big that it becomes unrealistic and problamatic. the mask will constantly move around your head and your view (which is seen through 2 small slits)will be even worse.
if you do get the mask along with the attachble bio mask, then you may find the same problems here. looks nice, but is big and also feels difficult to get on.
so while the mask looks good, it is quite large and difficult to wear. if you want something that looks better and is probably easier to wear, I'd probably go for a more proffesional mask. or possibly that new mr black predator mask, but I don't see that on amazon and for all I know it might be worse.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 11:35 AM BST

Predator Omnibus Volume 1: v. 1
Predator Omnibus Volume 1: v. 1
by Dan Barry

3.0 out of 5 stars The hunt begins..., 6 Jan. 2012
I admit that I've wanted to get this book for quite a while now, but never got round to it because of the fact that...well I just couldn't be bothered.
when I finally got round to reading it I fet rather conflicted. the stories where all very intresting on the surface, but when I dug deap down into the actual content...well it was lacking.
the first story, concrete jungle was quite good. I liked the idea of dutches older brother trying to find out the reason he disappered and his fight with the predators. however it got a bit difficult to follow and the sequels that followed where very difficult to read. no they wheren't complicated, I just didn't like them. and there isn't really an end to it, which for me was unfourtanate.
rite of passage was a very entertaining story. I liked how the story showed links between the predators and the humans and the art was diffrent, but very stiking and likeble.
pride at nghasa was also very entertaining and the classic concept of the hunter becoming the hunted was put to good use in the predator universe. the art was a bit rough, but I was able to deal with it, as it provided everything in a highly detailed light.
the bloody sands of time was a medicore story. the concept intresting. a lawyer researches the journal of a french solldier to try and save the life of an american soldier who is blamed for the barbaric deaths caused by a predator. the art pretty much delivers what most fans would want. high amounts of gore. but besides that the colouring style just doesn't fit, as it's just so damn vibrant! which obviously leads to conflicting styles that just don't work.
finally blood feud. I didn't really like this story. the art was awful (sorry) the story was so confusing that I just didn't have a clue what was going on. finally...hmmm...that's it really. it was a good concept on the surface. a japanese martial artist (or a doctor? sceintist?) his hunted by the predators because of the actions of his ancestors (or...him in the...past?)

so yeah that's it. I was disapointed. the book didn't really capture the action I'd hoped for after watching the film, so I would recommend mabye getting one of the other volumes first...

Glamdring Gandalf Letter Opener. Lord of the Rings Noble Collection
Glamdring Gandalf Letter Opener. Lord of the Rings Noble Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Foe-Hammer, 10 Dec. 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars
I ordered this toy for my father for christmas. He is a huge fan of the books and the films and his favrioute character has always been gandalf. so it was obvious I needed to get him something that was used by his hero...
this was the perfect item. the Collectible is a small replica of Gandalfs sword Glamdring Foe-Hammer, which he recieved after defeating a group of trolls in the prequel to Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit. The bane of the Orcs of middle earth, the blade was wielded by Gandalf throughout the rest of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
The blade was an accurate, steel replica of the blade. It matched the design of Gandalfs sword perfectly and looks like it has jumped out the film itself! only it shrunk on it's way to the real world.
It is also pretty sharp at the tip, so if you do use it as a letter opener, then you should find the job pretty easy.

unfourtantly there was one problem. the sides of the blade, where damaged near the tip, with the blade looking quite ugly. I don't know what happened to it, but if your planning to put this on display, this may ruin it slightly for you.

Overall this is, despite the damage, a rather good collectible. I'm sure my father will love it and mabye I'll be getting myself Aragorns sword...as a little present for my self.

Page: 1 | 2