Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Emma > Reviews

Content by Emma

Emma

Luella's Guide to English Style
Luella's Guide to English Style
by Luella Bartley

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating Author, 14 Feb. 2011
Never before have I found myself irritated by the author of a book. This is new!

Luella was originally a journalist. I would suggest that she is more suited to this kind of writing as her book is highly repetitive and could be summed up in a couple of pages. Essentially ,it appears to be a self-indulgent, egocentric rant about her own personal obsession with being, and looking "cool". It also outlines the reasons why she is cool - a prime example is having celebrity fashion friends. These are named - repetitively lest we forget.

I am also offended that Luella suggests all English girls are as shallow and insecure as she appears to be. Take this paragraph for example:
"Really, we still care far too much for what everyone else thinks of us and if they are intimidated by our superior taste and where we sit on the social scale at any particular moment."
Oh really? This is news to me. Am I alone in disagreeing with this statement or is this book largely about Luella herself - the "we" a thinly veiled "I".

I give the book 2 stars rather than one because I think the design of the book itself is awesome. The visual references inside the book however are disappointingly bland.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2011 6:33 PM BST