Profile for Ms J K Johnson > Reviews

Ms J K Johnson

Fishing For Stars
Fishing For Stars
by Bryce Courtenay

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of interesting threads in this book kept me wanting to turn the pages., 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fishing For Stars (Paperback)
The only other Bryce Courtenay book I had read was 'The Power of One' which I class as one of the best books I have read, so I looked forward to reading this. I wasn't disappointed although there were times when I did feel irritated by the dialogue between Nick and Anna in particular. I did like the two main female characters - Anna and Marg, but couldn't believe that two very strong women would keep coming back to 'Nick'.....nice as he was.
I thought the picture painted of the 'old' Japan and the 'new' Japan very interesting - something I knew nothing about, and some of the characters in the book were fascinating, funny and I enjoyed learning about them. I had never heard of 'kinbaku'...a form of bondage using ropes.....apparently.
Courtenay clearly undertook extensive research for the book which I found impressive. This included the 'environmental' aspects of the book - which at times read like a factual account of a campaign or movement. I really got a sense of some of the politics involved in the 70's and 80's growing conservation movement. There were a lot of 'threads' in this book that worked for me - regional and National politics, relationships, human weaknesses, the power that some people can weald over others and the effects this can have on individuals for the rest of their lives.
I loved the poem 'Fishing for Stars'. I am now looking forward to reading more Bryce Courtenay

The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure
The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure
by Adam Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read in ages, 17 Jun. 2014
I liked the writing style of Adam Williams. This is the first book of his I've read and only then because a friend gave it to me and recommended it. This covers a period of history in China I knew nothing about and although it's a novel, I found the book enlightening, interesting, at times sad and very brutal. A difficult read at times, with my 21st C sensibilities........it's all in here - rape, child abuse, subjugation and oppression of women, greed misuse of power and influence and towards the end of the book I didn't want to put it down. I did have difficulty in accepting that Helen Francis would cast all caution to the wind and go against convention in the ways that she did, but it made for a riveting read I thought. I do want to learn more about the 'Boxer Uprising' now as a result of reading this book.

Mythology (Ology Series)
Mythology (Ology Series)
by Dugald Steer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book in the 'Ology' series., 10 Feb. 2014
This book has lovely graphics and is packed full of information. Another 'Ology' book brilliantly produced. My grandson loves it

Olympus SZ-31 Traveller 3D Camera with FHD 25mm Wide Lens - Silver (16MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by 1A-PHOTO-PORST

5.0 out of 5 stars A classy little camera, 10 Feb. 2014
This camera is so easy to use and has some great features. It does much more than I have tried out yet. Would recommend this camera.

Richard Burton Reads Dylan Thomas
Richard Burton Reads Dylan Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful CD., 17 Jan. 2014
To hear Richard Burton reading the poems of Dylan Thomas is such a treat. I wish I'd bought it years ago. It's the kind of CD you just want to sit and listen to in peace and quiet.

The Tale of Jack Frost
The Tale of Jack Frost
by David Melling

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a 'must have' book for children, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Tale of Jack Frost (Paperback)
I first borrowed this book from our local library for my toddler grandson - about six years ago. He now has Three year old twin brothers and this book is for them. I have already bought them the dvd - which they love, and this will be a regular story for them to know and love. I would definitely recommend this book.

Words For You
Words For You
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cd of poetry and music, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Words For You (Audio CD)
I can imagine that this will not be everyone's 'cup of tea' - and at times the music distracts a little from the poetry, however, I love it.
This is a collection of some of my favourite poetry, read beautifully.