Profile for bazad01@vmail.virgin.com > Reviews

Is This It?
Is This It?
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars the title of the album is too modest, 8 Jan 2002
This review is from: Is This It? (Audio CD)
I never heard of the hype surrounding the strokes because like a fellow reviewer I don't read music magazines, I saw them perform "new york city cops" and was impresssed. It wasn't a new sound but it was a familar sound that made you warm inside because finally someone was making good old fashioned rock music. The album itself did not disappoint me in the slightest. There are those who argue that it is "samey", which is a fair enough point, but each song offers something different be it a drum loop, or a great guitar riff, or bass line. It gives me a smile when I listen to it because it has a nostalgic feel about it, which is probably why I could be viewed as biased. However I would say that if you like rock'n'roll then buy this album, it will make a lovely addition to your collection.

Much Against Everyone's Advice
Much Against Everyone's Advice

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best albums I have ever heard!!!!, 8 Jan 2002
I stumbled upon this album through my brother, he simply said to me listen to this because it is magic. I did just that and I can say nothing bad about this album at all. It kicks off with a cracker "conversation intercom" a lovely mixture of off-beats and slide guitar. It slows down with a couple of slow balads sang wonderfully. Track 4 the title track of the album just hits you with a boom of guitar distortion. " proverbal pants" is personally my favourite song because the melody is to die for. "too many d.j's" is a classic in its own right, a song if you buy this album you will play over and over again. There is something for everybody in this album, Soulwax take 80's beats and mix them with 90's rock guitar, then add their own wonderful melodies to make this one of my favourite albums ever! BUT THIS RECORD!!!!