ARRAY(0xa6290234)

Alan Titchmarsh How to Garden: Allotment Gardening
Alan Titchmarsh How to Garden: Allotment Gardening
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, no nonsense reference, 1 Nov 2013
I took over my first allotment in the spring. A very neglected, overgrown plot.
As a newbie to the delights of growing your own I wanted a book I could refer to for straightforward, simple advice.

This book hits the mark. It covers all the basics of preparing your plot, tools, how to plant, grow and harvest your own produce in a simple, straightforward manner. It's easy to navigate so you can find what you need quickly.

Alan's style of writing is full of encouragement (believe me, I needed it!) without overcomplicating things.

Over time I have added more books to my collection with more in depth info, but I still reach for this one first when I want a quick no nonsense answer.

Gardman Raised Bed Growing Trough
Gardman Raised Bed Growing Trough
Offered by Garden Selections

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gardman Raised Bed Growing Trough
I bought this to use outside my house to grow salads etc.

Many similar troughs retail for double the price so I had some reservations over the quality I could expect.
Assembly was fairly straightforward, though it was apparent the wood was fairly flimsy so care was needed. There was some mould on the wood which I suspect was caused by packing the wood damp.

Assembly was not difficult, have a charged drill handy for the screws and a second pair of hands is helpful too.

Once it is up position it where you want before filling, once compost is added it becomes very heavy and with it not being the strongest wood it is not easy to move.

It does give plenty of growing space (Allow for plenty of compost to fill it!) It is also at a good height so you don't need to bend to use it, though I imagine a wheelchair user could also reach so that is a positive.

I suspect long term it won't last more than a few growing seasons, but for the price it was about what I expected.

Coleman Comfort Double Airbed
Coleman Comfort Double Airbed

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Airbed Around, 1 Nov 2013
We have used the Coleman comfort double for over 5 years. Our first lasted 3 years of regular use and our second is still going strong. The same can't be said for many other airbeds.

Having 2 separate chambers is ideal if one person is a restless sleeper or gets up during the night. It also means you can inflate it to suit yourself. The bed stays inflated well, just occasionally needing a small top up after several days use. It's also relatively quiet, some other airbeds squeak quite alarmingly which can be a little uncomfortable on a crowded campsite!

It comfortably fits in our tents 3 man sleeping compartment with a little space for bags etc behind, but still feels comfortable for 2 adults (and I regret we are not skinny).

We also purchased the Coleman Jersey fitted sheet for it though this isn't essential.

Overall a great buy, I can't see us changing to a different type.

Kampa (ME0530) Bubble 1L Electric Kettle
Kampa (ME0530) Bubble 1L Electric Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our camping trips., 1 Nov 2013
We wanted a compact kettle for camping and this looked ideal.

Delivered super fast and we are really impressed.
Well made with solid element base so much less inclined to fur up and easy to clean. It doesn't boil as fast as our main "rapid-boil" kettle but still very satisfactory. Small enough to pack in our camping kit but still boils enough water for 3-4 mugs.

This kettle would also be ideal for a single person or couple who don't need a large kettle or anybody who wants something smaller and lighter than the standard large kettle,. Also, less temptation to waste power and water boiling more than you need so good eco-credentials.

We probably could have bought a cheap supermarket kettle for less but for size and convenience we felt this was good value. Recommended.

BAAS® Nokia Lumia 925 Black Flip Leather Case Cover with 3x Screen Protector & Stylus Pen
Offered by BAAS Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 30 Oct 2013
Had this a few weeks now and very happy, well constructed, feels much more expensive than it is.

A perfect fit so I can fully use my phone without removing the cover.

For a good value, no nonsense cover you can't go wrong

Campingaz 2 Burner Stove Carry Bag
Campingaz 2 Burner Stove Carry Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 6 Mar 2011
We bought this to carry our Campingaz Kitchen Plus stove.
Ours is a larger stove with the griddle accessory however it all fits neatly into the bag.
My only gripe is that it would be handy if it had a pocket to carry the stove legs, though you can strap these to the bag.
The bag is well constructed, the stitching is good and the fabric is quite strong. It has two carry straps for transporting the bag though I doubt these would be comfortable to carry the stove for any distance. However the bag is very useful for loading and unloading the car and moving the stove around on site.
Overall a useful accessory of you have a similar sized camping stove.

Campingaz Camping Kitchen Plus Stove
Campingaz Camping Kitchen Plus Stove
Offered by Springfield Camping Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and great value, 6 Mar 2011
We purchased this to replace our old and quite bulky gas stove. We were attracted by the idea of it not needing a seperate stand which reduces overall bulk when loading our car.
It took a little effort to assemble to begin with but now we have it set up it is easy to remove the legs and pack away. It would have been nice if they included the carry bag instead of this being a seperate purchase.
It provides a good heat output which adjusts well. Even in quite windy conditions which can be an issue with some stoves. Two decent sized pans will fit over the burners side by side, which I have found a struggle on some other stoves. If I was going to be picky then when the sides shelves are up as a windbreak, it still leaves quite a wide gap which could be an issue.
Once set up it is relatively sturdy and feels secure. I wouldn't recommend putting very heavy items on the side shelves as I'm not sure how much weight they would support, but they are a handy addition for holding utensils, sauces etc. The shelf undeneath is useful for stowing pots and pans.
The griddle is a useful feature, especially when cooking breakfast for a crowd. Though of course it's not a char-grill that will give a bbq flavour.
The unit is easy to clean without too many difficult surfaces that can trap grease or dirt. The stove rings are easily removed which aids cleaning too.
Overall we are very happy with this stove. It provides a versatile kitchen when camping.

Crocs Unisex Classic Clog
Crocs Unisex Classic Clog
Price: £13.22 - £37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted, 22 Aug 2010
After swearing blind for ages that I wouldn't be seen dead in them I now have to confess. I'm a total convert, I LOVE my crocs.

Getting the sizing right can be a little tricky. I'm normally a ladies 6, but my crocs are an Mens 6, ladies 8. I bought them off amazon and it wasn't immediatly clear which size they were offering so i originally ordered the wrong size and had to return them. Though as always the Amazon returns service was quick and very efficient.

Now I have them I wear them all the time. Super comfortable and not hot to wear which I had worried about as they are plastic. They are very lightweight too making them ideal for travel. I live in them while camping, around the house and garden, or just out and about.
If they get mucky just give them a wash, if they get wet it doesn't matter and they dry in no time.
So far they seem virtually indestructable.

I think I'll be adding a few more colour options to my collection and maybe a pair if their flip flops too!

Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Digital Camera - Silver (10MP, 10x Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Digital Camera - Silver (10MP, 10x Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Offered by 1A-PHOTO-PORST

4.0 out of 5 stars A great step up from basic point and shoot., 4 July 2010
For some time I had been debating buying this camera or the Panasonic Lumix T27. Then they brought out the new F80EXR which did really turn my head.

However I was offered an ex-display model of the F70 at half price. The F80 is rated at 12MP and has HD movie recording, but is basically the same camera so I took the deal. It was a GREAT deal.

The camera is easy to use, has a really nice feel in your hand and compared to my old compact is very quick in operation with minimal lag. Yes HD movie would be nice but I have a camcorder anyway. 10MP is more than sharp enough for most uses unless you are a pro, which I'm not. My hubby has a new 12MP compact and comparing images it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference when veiwed full size on a 17inch monitor.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about with this camera to fully test the range of photo options and put the EXR sensor and 27mm wide angle lens through it's paces.

Initial test shots at home using natural light indoors with no flash, macro and pro focus have been impressive. Practice will highlight which modes on the camera work best.

A quick read of the manual (a basic one comes in paper form with a more comprehensive guide on CD) and I was up and running. The menus are easy to navigate (nothing worse than missing a shot because you are setting up your camera)

The camera looks good. It really is no bigger than most compacts, despite the lens. The LCD is very clear and sharp, even in bright light. It feels well built.

The only reason I've rated it a 4star is that it has now been superceeded by a new model that has HD movie. But if you want a small compact with powerful zoom and good image quality this camera ticks all the boxes.

Coleman Trailblazer 5 Man Tent
Coleman Trailblazer 5 Man Tent

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value weekend tent, 7 Feb 2010
We have one of these and it is a great little tent.

It's advertised as a 5 man, which may be OK for a festival or overnight stop, but for any longer breaks 5 would be a squeeze. For a couple, or maybe with 1 or two children it would be fine.
For myself and my husband the sleeping pod gives plenty of room for a double airbed plus all our kit. The sleeping pod has good head height which makes a huge difference.

The living area has pace for a couple of chairs and a small folding table, though it can get a little claustrophobic if you were forced to spend too long inside, We have sheltered in it through several downpours, with a radio and a pack of cards or a book to while away a rainy afternoon.
When it's dry there are three doors which can be rolled up or opened out with poles to make a little canopy/sunshade. There are also 2 vents at the back which allow extra airflow around the sleeping cabin.

Once erected it's very stable. It pitches inner first then the flysheet is fitted over. This means there are less seams in the flysheet which is often where leaks will occur, and aside from a couple of drips around the doors our has proven able to withstand driving rain with no real issues.
The only disadvantage is that pitching inner first is not ideal if it's raining at the time, but we have always managed to avoid pitching up in the rain so far.

It is easy to pitch, taking 15 minutes or so. The only difficult part is the ring and pin system on the front pole which takes a bit of brute force to flex the pole far enough.

If the tent has a fault it's that the groundsheet in the living area isn't fully sealed to the flysheet so it is open to draughts, bugs etc. (the sleeping compartment is fully sealed). This is the reason I held back a star on the rating.

We have since invested in a bigger tent with a larger living area for longer holidays, just for the space. However we wouldn't part with our "Blazer". It's perfect for a weekend getaway or short break when the other tent would just be a bit too big and heavy.

If you can find one, a great addition is the Classic Awning, which gives a large sheltered area which can double your living space, aspecially if the weather isn't great.
We also bought a tent carpet. It was for a Vango tent but the dimensions were the same and that really adds to the comfort, especially if like me you operate a "no shoes in the tent" policy.

Highly recommended.
Much cheaper than many comparable sized tents but just simply does the job. As with all the coleman kit I've tried it's well made and practical.
It may not have some of the "frills" of the more expensive models but for a simple, good value tent it's ideal.

Happy camping.