Profile for Alexandra Smith > Reviews

The Escapades of Biff Digglett
The Escapades of Biff Digglett
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny it should be televised, 6 Jun 2014
This collection of three stories is largely narrated by the central protagonist, with the author occasionally dropping in for a friendly chat. I must admit that the description of '...town of the dying and dead,' did make me think I was about to read a zombie novel but this book has comedy, murder, Cumbrian-isms, romance (of sorts) and even educational facts. The main character would probably offend everyone - old people, women, men, fat people. However, Biff is young, naive, cynical, funny, hapless, flirty and also fictional so we can forgive him. I laughed uncontrollably several times while reading these stories and the final episode really tied the whole book together nicely with a couple of cliff hangers to leave us wanting more. I actually think this would make a really funny TV series, well worth a read!

The Further Contemplations Of A Nobody
The Further Contemplations Of A Nobody
by Sid Wright
Price: 13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Wright Strikes Again, 13 April 2014
The second instalment of Mr Wright's contemplations is as intriguing, witty and cynical as the first one. Sid's stories, poems and lines are honest, charming and funny...with a pinch of grumpy-old-man. The tales and musings in this book are more grammatically accurate than those in the first one but it still maintains the 'diary-like' feel which makes Sid's writing so appealing. The illustrations are delicious and it was great to catch up with some of the characters we met in Contemplations of a Nobody. I still can't work out whether Todd and Neville is a slightly risky subject or a cockily brilliant jest. A good book, save up your pennies for it.

100Mts X 3" Pencil Pleat Curtain Heading Tape 3 Pocket By Rejuvopedic
100Mts X 3" Pencil Pleat Curtain Heading Tape 3 Pocket By Rejuvopedic

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 15 Dec 2013
This roll will last me a lifetime! I've made one pair of curtains to cover a 3 meter wide window on a budget by using this product and two single duvet covers. There was a handy black thread running along either side of the band to assist with sewing and I was hand sewing with a running stitch but I'm sure a sewing machine would be a lot quicker! I didn't notice a smell as another review suggested and I'm not unrolling it all to find out if there are 50 meters but I feel sure there are. The curtains I made hung up just as well as shop-bought ones.

Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster
Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 10.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Slam fire and cylinder drop, 28 Mar 2013
This has an impressive range. It takes dart tag darts as well as elite darts but won't take old streamlines or my old glow in the dark streamlines (I know they all look the same length but a rod in the barrel won't let the old ones go in far enough). The cylinder drops all the way out and is easy to give a wrist flick back in which is cool. You can easily slam fire the blaster (hold trigger down and keep priming) which you can't do with the Maverick. Although the Maverick is still cool, this one fires smoother and further.

Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut
Nerf N-Strike Elite Rough Cut
Offered by Venture Blue
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fussy but cool, 28 Mar 2013
This blaster is really picky about how you put the darts in. It's supposed to fire two at a time (or one then the other if you depress the top of the trigger then the bottom of the trigger) but often it randomly drops one and that confuses the next pairing as it knows a barell is empty so it fires the next one down instead. This seems to be a common problem on YouTube reviews so it's not just my particular one (although I assume that's why someone returned it). Anyway, if you put all the darts in then pull them out slightly again (so they're not jammed as far in as possible) they seem to stay in until they're actually fired. Despite the problem, this gun is still good because trying to get the hang of firing it is addictive. It will take elite darts and dart tag darts (and the black tipped ones that look like dart tag ones) but it won't take orange streamlines or my old glow in the dark streamlines. It's as big as the alpha trooper which I wasn't expecting and its sawn-off shot gun style (if that's what it is) amuses me - I'm looking forward to producing it at a Nerf battle.

Lalaloopsy: The Ballet Recital (Scholastic Reader - Level 2 (Quality))
Lalaloopsy: The Ballet Recital (Scholastic Reader - Level 2 (Quality))
by Jenne Simon
Price: 2.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Little Story, 22 Mar 2013
This story contains the original Lalaloopsy girls so my daughter (nearly age 3) was interested straight away. The pictures are lovely and colourful just like the first film and the other books. It's fair to say it's a thin book but so are many popular children's short story books (which can be twice the price). I imagined the book would be the size of books like the Gruffalo but it's about half that size. I couldn't find the Lalaloopsy books cheaper anywhere else and the price on the cover is in dollars - which perhaps explains why they didn't understand what I was asking for in every English bookshop I checked in.

Cinder Slippers and the Grand Ball (Lalaloopsy)
Cinder Slippers and the Grand Ball (Lalaloopsy)
by Lauren Cecil
Price: 2.37

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fairytale Characters, 22 Mar 2013
This story contains all the fairy tale characters and non of the original Lalaloopsy girls so my daughter (nearly age 3) took a while to warm to it. The pictures are lovely and colourful just like the first film and the other books. It's fair to say it's a thin book but so are many popular children's short story books (which can be twice the price). I imagined the book would be the size of a Mr Man book as it's square but it's about twice the size. I couldn't find the Lalaloopsy books cheaper anywhere else and the price on the cover is in dollars - which perhaps explains why they didn't understand what I was asking for in every English bookshop I checked in.

LeapFrog Shapes & Sharing Picnic Basket
LeapFrog Shapes & Sharing Picnic Basket
Price: 15.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it, 7 Mar 2013
My two year old loves this. The sound function isn't used that often but we've had several pretend picnics and now the basket tends to get filled with all sorts of other toys. Quite expensive but so are the other picnic products out there and this one is safe for under threes.

Lalaloopsy Silly Hair Doll Mittens Fluff 'N' Stuff
Lalaloopsy Silly Hair Doll Mittens Fluff 'N' Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly Hair pets are the best, 7 Mar 2013
Although Silly Hair dolls tend to sell cheaper than the other large dolls in second-hand online auctions, I think they are better toys. They do have heavy heads but there's a lot more play to be had with the bendable hair and the pets are far superior to the normal pets. The clothes and shoes tend not to be as good on the Silly Hair dolls but this one is a better outfit than some of the others.

Lalaloopsy Little's Doll Bundles Snuggle Stuff
Lalaloopsy Little's Doll Bundles Snuggle Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Nunya is very robust, 7 Mar 2013
My daughter loves this doll and likes banging her large head on things for some reason. The doll takes it well though- very robust! We got a biscuit instead of a lolly but I think that's why it was on Warehouse Deals which is great for us.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4