Profile for M. Burns > Reviews

M. Burns (GB)

The Greatest Hoax on Earth? Refuting Dawkins on evolution
The Greatest Hoax on Earth? Refuting Dawkins on evolution

3.0 out of 5 stars Sarfati Clearly hasn't read dawkins book, 27 April 2011
Like the title of this review says Sarfati hasn't really read Dawkins' book, or many other books for that matter.
I understand the need to criticize any "theory" put forward, but lets be straight evolution isn't a theory.
Evolution due to natural selection is more of a theory and there are some(not many convincing) arguments against it, but the fact of evolution is just that, it's a fact.
The arguments in the book are pretty much the same old arguments that every other "young earth-ist" keeps on repeating (probably because they are trying to convince themselves more than others).
This makes the book very hard to take seriously, especially after listening to Dawkins for any short period of time.
That said it is a book worth reading because it proves that Dawkins has a point about the education system having failed people where science is concerned.
So not a bad book really if you ever needed convincing that Richard Dawkins strongly worded approach is necessary.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2011 5:35 PM BST

An Optimist's Tour of the Future
An Optimist's Tour of the Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, 6 Jan 2011
Not many books can make you think about such questions like "what is intelligence?" and "what will happen if we all start living longer?", without boring you or sounding like a preacher talking about the end of the world, but this book keeps you wanting to know more and getting excited thinking about the ideas people have come up with in the world today.
This book kept me interested all the way through and even convinced me to look into some of the people the author meets, because frankly I was surprised I hadn't heard of them sooner.
It presents the world we live in, in a different light to what we usually hear about not doomed due to some of the various reasons presented to us by the mainstream opinion, but something to look forward to where we can think our way through some of the problems that we have today.

Overall a refreshing read, and a book that will definitely give you something to talk about.
(also I haven't read something as witty yet thought provoking since I read Hitchhikers)