Profile for Mattkat > Reviews

Content by Mattkat

Mattkat

The Gift (Super Deluxe Edition)
The Gift (Super Deluxe Edition)
Price: 58.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Album - disappointing mistakes, 6 Dec 2012
I've been a long time fan of The Jam. I saw them seven times and have all the original vinyl albums. I agree with the previous reviews.
I think it's fair to say that this 'Deluxe Box Set' is aimed at, and will mostly sell to 'hard-core' fans, who wish to own the ultimate version of the album. Cleary a fair amount of effort has gone into this package, but sadly, more with the packaging than the actual content of the discs.

What really makes the content disappointing for me is the fact that the actual album has the stereo reversed - the left channel comes from the right and the right from the left!! For 80+ pounds, I'd expect the actual album to be carefully and acurately remastered. This is just amateurish!

Sadly, poor attention to details like this have been rife in CD releases of The Jam. The 'Direction Creation Reaction' box set was great. It was well put together and well mastered. However, some of the individual albums (Setting Sons, All Mod Cons)released at the same time had the left and right stereo channels reversed. The Live at the BBC CD was a mess - the limited edition Live at the Rainbow CD that came with it, had the stereo reversed halfway through the concert, so it appears that Paul and Bruce changed sides on stage halfway through the concert!! Then there's the recent 'remaster' of Sound Affects. The powerful, driving bass and drums sounding so thin and the treble so harsh. Had the engineer ever heard The Jam or referenced an original vinyl copy.

Anyway, I've digressed. I guess I stupidly believed that at this price I would get some really good quality recordings to listen to, but that's not the case. Even the live at Wembley CD is disappointing. It sounds like a rough mix taken straight from the mixer on the night - The Jam sounded much better live than this example.

The Danish TV appearance on the DVD is really good though. Much better than the bootleg copies I've seen.

These albums were superbly recorded and produced at the time - with real passion and attention to detail. They should be treated with respect by the record companies that now own then.

Oh dear. Roll on 'Setting Sons Super Deluxe Ultimate Box Set'!!!?? Hopefully we will at least get an official, good quality DVD of the fantastic 'Rockpalast' concert.