Profile for Chris > Reviews

Urban Dreams Rural Realities: In Pursuit of the Good Life
Urban Dreams Rural Realities: In Pursuit of the Good Life
by Daniel Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 27 Mar. 2003
I re-discovered this book unpacking in my new flat and, settling down for a quick flick through, instantly remembered why it's one of my favourites of all time and managed to leave the packing until I'd read it again. Cleverly composed between the two authors, suprising in its honesty and continuously interesting, it's simply a delicious read. If only they'd write an update so we could see how they're doing now. (or maybe one from the perspective of their baby son?).
You won't regret buying it!

Man and Wife
Man and Wife
by Tony Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 4 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Man and Wife (Hardcover)
Man and Boy was one of the most enjoyable books I'd ever read, so I have to admit that Man and Wife had a lot to live up to. And it just didn't deliver for me. The story didn't have the depth of emotion that Parsons conveyed so beautifully in his first novel. The plot felt thin, the messages were confused and most of the characters were simply not explored. Don't get me wrong - this book is much better than a lot of stuff out there - but I just got the feeling that it had been thrown together in a bit of a rush to get something on shelf. Don't expect too much from this one...