Profile for bookworm betty > Reviews

bookworm betty

Bermuda Lilypad Floating Fountain Pump
Bermuda Lilypad Floating Fountain Pump
Offered by Waterlife Aquatics

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than any of the similar products bought in the ..., 25 May 2015
Much to my surprise this works, albeit intermittently, on a completely overcast day. When the sun shines the fountain is very strong, about 18 inches, much better than any of the similar products bought in the past. An added bonus, the newts love it! Much recommended.

The Queen's Oranges (Red Ned Tudor series Book 4)
The Queen's Oranges (Red Ned Tudor series Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Delightful scamp as the hero, 28 Feb. 2015
I like the idea of all the Red Ned books and have read them all. It is true they all need a thorough proof read as the numerous mistakes are exasperating and, as others have said, the reader could do with a little less of the good angel and bad demon. Hence my three star review. It would increase to four if the simple mistakes were sorted out. However the main character is a delightful scamp who grows on you and I so wanted to find out 'what happens' that it kept me reading on from book to book. It makes a wonderful change from the usual take on Tudor and Elizabethan murder, mystery and suspense and the author has hit upon a great idea even if he isn't in the same league, in the literary sense, as Sansom for example.
The plots however are ingenious and there was the promise of at least three more books 'coming soon' with many questions waiting to be answered but we are now 2015 and have seen nothing since 2012. I do hope the author hasn't given up . Red Ned is a perfect antidote after a
hard day in the office!

The Amarnan Kings, Book 5: Scarab - Horemheb
The Amarnan Kings, Book 5: Scarab - Horemheb

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic adventures, 25 Feb. 2013
I've read all the books in this series, and enjoyed some more than others. The first two books - Akhenaten and Smenkare - were thoroughly enjoyable. I thought it lost its way a bit with Tutankhamen, but picked up again in the last couple of books. The story as we follow Scarab throughout the turbulent Armana period is well conceived. I guess I'd say, looking back, that the books seem a bit over-long. I think I'll read them again one day, but I have a feeling I may find myself skipping chunks. The author clearly knows his subject and must have done a huge amount of research. Interesting link to the bible stories in the last book. All in all a big bold set of books.

Hatshepsut's Hideaway - Book 3 of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt
Hatshepsut's Hideaway - Book 3 of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt

5.0 out of 5 stars Nile adventure, 25 Feb. 2013
This is the third book in what I hope will turn into a series of books. The first three seem to stand as a trilogy, and you'd definitely need to have read the first two, rather than launch straight into this one. In Hatshepsut's Hideaway we follow Merry and Adam on another madcap adventure around Egypt's amazing historical sites. This time the adventure includes a Nile cruise. I really enjoyed this part of the story and the escapades that take place along the way. The pace of this third book is perhaps slightly slower than the first two ? I liked this as it allowed time for the relationship between Merry and Adam to develop. As ever with these books, there's plenty happening and some interesting characters along the way. As one of the characters says, Merry has a quite amazing ability to be on the spot when ancient discoveries are to me made. I guess without this there wouldn't be a story, and I liked the way the author weaves the past into her modern stories. As with the others, this is an escapist read, an enjoyable romp of a book. That said, the historical side seems well researched and adds enough depth for those interested in Egypt and its fascinating history. For those giving Egypt a miss as a holiday destination at the moment, I'd definitely say these books can take you there in your imagination. The author seems to have a love of Egypt and its people, past and present, that comes to life on the page. In Hatshepsut's Hideaway all the loose ends seem to have been pretty well tied up, but there's a suggestion of more stories to come in the last line of the book. I hope so.

Hatshepsut's Hideaway: Book Three of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt: Volume 3
by Fiona Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Nile adventure, 25 Feb. 2013

Tutankhamun's Triumph - Book 2 of Meredith Pink's adventures in Egypt
Tutankhamun's Triumph - Book 2 of Meredith Pink's adventures in Egypt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 19 Jan. 2013
An ancient egyptian mystery wrapped up in a modern adventure story ! I've read a few books set in Egypt, and this one had me hooked from the first to the last word. While it didn't end on quite as much of a cliffhanger as the first book, it's still left me quite breathless to know what happens next. Great descriptions of Egypt, believable characters, fast-paced and action packed - this is a fantastic romp of a book. I enjoyed learning about ancient egypt, while feeling the heat and dust of modern egypt rising from every page. The author's note at the end is intriguing and makes me want to do some research of my own about Tutankhamen, Akhenaten and Nefertiti. As I said, I've read a few books set in Egypt - what I particularly liked about this one was having Ay portrayed as something other than an out and out villain. Looking forward to the next adventure... I hope I don't have too long to wait.

Tutankhamun's Triumph: Book Two of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt
Tutankhamun's Triumph: Book Two of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt
by Fiona Deal Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 19 Jan. 2013

Carter's Conundrums - Book 1 of Meredith Pink's adventures in Egypt
Carter's Conundrums - Book 1 of Meredith Pink's adventures in Egypt

5.0 out of 5 stars Egyptian Escapade, 2 Dec. 2012
Here's a book for holiday reading or when you've had a pig of a day at the office and need to unwind! It's easy to read, with an exotic location and great weather !! It's set in the present day but the story sets out to solve a mystery from Egypt's past. Historically accurate, and very descriptive; I found myself swept along. Fast paced and entertaining.

Carter's Conundrums: Book 1 of Meredith Pink's Adventures in Egypt: Volume 1