Profile for Ek Stewart > Reviews

Content by Ek Stewart

Ek Stewart "Book Explorer" (Newport, South Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Malicious Intent (Anya Crichton)
Malicious Intent (Anya Crichton)
by Kathryn Fox
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Want it to End., 20 Jun 2007
I loved this book. I had just finished a very lighthearted book when I decided to read this as I wanted something that would create an internal reaction.

I am not a big crime fan, although I love James Patterson but I have to say this book was incredible from start to finish (which is not the ending you expect!). It really is a true thriller which borders on the verge of horror. This book makes you feel like you sat in front of a screen watching the characters unfold in front of your eyes as the mystery into suspicious suicides unfold.

The one thing I would say though is that the story can be a little predictable at times but sometimes that just makes it an easier read without your own imagination of what might be coming getting in the way.

The Sunday Philosophy Club
The Sunday Philosophy Club
by Alexander McCall Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars How Dull, 15 Jun 2007
I am a great fan of the NO1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander so I was eager to start this new series.

I have to say I was extremely disappointed. This book was tedious, it drags and waffles to a seriously indecent extent. The story itself is quite interesting but it is unfortunately not a story with a lot of content, meaning or interest.

Arlington Park
Arlington Park
by Rachel Cusk
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Just an Afternoon Read, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Arlington Park (Paperback)
This book was a really easy book to read and is very easy to identify with, especially if you are a suburb housewife, or have ever felt that you have not achieved all you thought you would.

Really well written it has a flow that makes it a pleasure to read, if a little depressing at times.

This book is ideal for an afternoon read when you just want to drift away and enjoy some realistic characters without a really deep meaningful story.

Wicked (Wicked Years 1)
Wicked (Wicked Years 1)
by Gregory Maguire
Price: 8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Describe! NOT for Children, 22 Mar 2007
I first bought the CD for the musical of the book last year and was immediately enthralled and so went to see the show. I started reading the book just before I saw the show and thankfully didn't get very far into it.

The show was incredible and I absolutely loved it so was eager to read the rest of the book. I have to say I am disappointed that the book hardly relates to the show (really that should be the other way round)yet it was still just as fascinating in its own right.

Elphaba does not do any magic at all in the book though and the ending is quite brutal in story and abruptness.

This book though is not for children, yet the show is a family affair. Wicked is written wonderfully and you really feel like you are there with the characters as they leave school and venture out into the real world, and the fascinating land of Oz.

Wicked [Original Broadway Cast Recording]
Wicked [Original Broadway Cast Recording]
Price: 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly Amazing, 22 Mar 2007
This CD I required by sure luck. I was going through the musicals on Amazon and saw it. The cover and synopsis intrigued me so I bought it. I am so glad I did. From the moment it hit my CD player I loved it. I am a big fan of quirky musicals and this just totally tickled everything that was quirky. I listened to the CD once and then went on the Internet to book tickets for the show and I bought the book.

The musical was fun and different. A real family show and the CD really brings that out. You can grasp the story of the book just by listening to the wonderfully charming music. The characters come alive in such a different way than they do in the wizard of Oz. Do not be put off by the fact that it is another story based on the original book and film, it takes nothing away from the magic of Dorothy and Toto, It is just another more magical side to the story. Wonderful

Million Dollar Baby [DVD] [2005]
Million Dollar Baby [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Unexpected, 22 Mar 2007
I have to say I put off watching this film for so long as I really cannot stand Clint Eastwood. I know that should not put me off an entire film but he really grinds on me. Anyway we bought the DVD and one night I decided to watch it as I was in bed (thinking that it would make me dose off!) on the contrary, I forced myself to stay awake as I didn't want to miss any of it. It was wonderful. Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman, and yes even Clint himself did wonderfully in their roles and the story was beautifully written and acted. This is definitely a film I would recommend.

The Amityville Horror [DVD] [2005]
The Amityville Horror [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 4.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrortastic!, 22 Mar 2007
I saw the original years ago and was very frightened by that, I decided to watch this DVD just to see if it was any good. I usually find that remakes are never as good as the originals so I did not have many expectations for it.

I have to say I was scared all the way through. It makes you jump, gasp and question. Everything a good horror should. All the actors are brilliant in their roles and it was nice to see Melissa George again.

If you have or haven't seen the original you should still definately see this version. Excellent

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: 6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Enthralling!, 21 Aug 2006
This book appealed to me as soon as it was released yet I have only just managed to find time to read it and I can honestly say I was not disappointed.

This book is like nothing I have ever read, it tells the story of a man with a genetic disorder that shoots him through time at any given moment. He does not have control of where or when he travels to, but along the way he meets the love of his life. This book is written in a diary type way by the main characters Henry the time traveller and his wife Clare.

I was immediately drawn into the lives of these two extraordinary people as they fight to stay together and be happy and normal against all the odds.

Even though the story jumps from one persons perspective to another and from one time to another it flows beautifully because of the amazingly fluent and enchanting writing of Audrey Niffenegger. I would recommend this book to anyone whatever their usual literature is.

The Horrific Sufferings Of The Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot: His Wonderful Love and his Terrible Hatred: Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and Terrible Hatred
by Carl-Johan Vallgren
Price: 8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Enthralling!, 29 Jun 2006
This book was bought as a gift as I had noticed the title whilst walking past a book shop and was immediately intrigued. The title alone sets your mind racing to what the book could be about.

This is a truly awesome book(i know they say do not judge a book by its cover but in this case make the exception). It is different to anything I have ever read. It has been translated beautifully and the way its written just makes you delve deeper and deeper into it until you are lost in the weird, very hurtful, confusing but sometimes wonderful world of Hercules Barefoot.

This is not just another story of Quasimodo and its as far away from the bells of Notre Dame as you can get. Hercules, born with the most hideous deformities imaginable spends his life fighting one prejudice after another. He lives through torture, damnation, ridicule and basically a lot of the time pure evil, but he does all this in the pursuit of love. Does he find it? You will have to buy the book, but I can assure you, you will not regret doing so. This book will make you laugh, cry and gasp! It is definitely my book of the year so far.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 8 Jun 2006
I have just finished reading this book and I have to say it wasn't at all what I expected. My friend lent it to me and was explaining what Alchemy was, which then kinda put me off reading the book for a while as it sounded quite dull.

When I eventually picked the book up I was shocked at how easy to read it was the pages flow like an eternal stream which really makes it easy to take in the message the book is giving you.

I find myself now thinking of this book when I feel low or stressed remembering how important each day is and how lucky we are to feel love in our lives or just to be able to experience something new everyday if we just open our eyes to our world.

It really is a book for everyone and it does not lecture or dictate what is right or wrong. For me it was just telling me that it is my life and it is up to me to enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4