Profile for movie fan > Reviews

Peter Cushing: A Life in Film
Peter Cushing: A Life in Film
by David Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned!!, 25 April 2013
I'd seen this advertised on Amazon for some time and was counting the days until I could order it. I finally received this item today.The book itself is beautifully presented with some great colour photos in amongst the black and white pics. It's informative and entertaining and a worthy addition to anybody's book collection.
HOWEVER, as I was looking through it I had a niggling feeling that parts of it looked all too familiar. Sure enough,it turns out that this book was initially published in 2000 and I already had it!! Back then it was called " The Peter Cushing Companion". I'm really annoyed that the cover of the book and the title have been changed to such an extent that I thought I was buying a brand new publication. If you didn't buy this book when it first came out then I heartily recommend it. Just be aware this is a re-print with a new look and a few updates. I could have saved myself £12!!.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 10:25 AM GMT

Rasputin The Mad Monk (Blu-ray + DVD) [1966]
Rasputin The Mad Monk (Blu-ray + DVD) [1966]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars mad monk indeed!, 2 Dec. 2012
I was greatly looking forward to getting " Rasputin- the mad monk" on blu-ray/dvd. It's good to see more and more of the old Hammer films being released with decent extras. The extras on this are entertaining and informative and having watched these first I sat back to enjoy the movie. I can't comment on the blu-ray ( not having a blu-ray player!) but I have to say I was greatly disappointed with the dvd. The film looked great, no complaints about the picture quality, but it sounded as if the whole film had been recorded at the bottom of a tin bucket. There was absolutely no depth to the sound at all. It really does sound "tinny". I'm glad I hadn't thrown out my previous Studiocanal version of this film. There may not be any extras and the picture may not be quite as sharp, but at least I can sit and listen to it without having to switch it off after 10 minutes!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 11:13 AM GMT