Profile for David Song > Reviews

Benjamin Rabbit and The Stranger Danger
Benjamin Rabbit and The Stranger Danger
by Irene Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars How's about that then?, 21 Nov 2012
In this short book Sir Jimmy exposes an array of tried and tested techniques discovered during his extensive career as TV's greatest paedophile. As the holder of a convictionless quadruple-decade streak Savile's credentials speak for themselves; this book is guaranteed not to disappoint.

Being stranger-oriented, part one of this trilogy focuses mostly on lines involving puppies, sweeties and other classics known for famous delivery. The other two books in this series "Betty Bunny and the Fundraiser Fondler" and "Harriet Hare and the Hospital Humper" are for a slightly more niche market, though are well-written and offer sound advice for hospital staff and charity workers looking to establish a more intimate relationship with that special Lolita.

1.8M DVI Cable
1.8M DVI Cable
Offered by PortableParts-UK
Price: 4.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, there is a problem with this listing!, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: 1.8M DVI Cable (Electronics)
This item isn't very clear about whether it's a DVI-D, DVI-I or DVI-A cable. It is not specified whether this is a dual-link or a single link cable either, so we have to use the picture as a description. Did the Amazon Marketplace seller carefully inspect the picture like I did? Assume that they didn't and that you're buying a random cable.

The product picture is unclear, but under careful inspection looks like a single link DVI-D cable, that's the cable where the outputs from left to right look like a minus shape followed by a 3x3 grid of pins, then a gap where 6 more pins should be, then another 3x3 grid. A single link DVI-I cable has a plus shape with a pin in each of the four corners of the plus, followed by 3x3 grid, then the gap, then a 3x3 grid. Dual link cables have those gaps filled with a 2x3 grid of 6 pins. DVI-A cables look like a single link DVI-I but with some more pins missing, but they're rare so you won't get one of those.

Dual-link cables can support large resolutions of over 1080p at good frame-rates, while the single link cables cannot. DVI-D (minus shape) cables carry a digital signal, DVI-A (plus shape) carry an analogue and DVI-I ("integrated", plus shape) can carry both.

As you can expect, a minus shaped adapter (DVI-D) will fit into a plus shaped (DVI-I) hole, but not the other way around. Because this product page doesn't specify whether this is a DVI-I cable or a DVI-D one, you must assume that you'll be sent the wrong one!

Therefore, you should only buy this cable if:

1) Both of your devices (your graphics card and your monitor) have DVI-I sockets, that's the one with the plus-shaped hole not the minus shaped slot. If you purchase this item you could get a DVI-I cable which doesn't fit in a DVI-D slot, like I did. Check before purchasing!

2) The maximum resolution of your monitor must be 1080p or under (1920x1080). If you have an awesome monitor that does higher resolutions then this is not the cable for you. Go and find a dual-link DVI-D cable instead.

If your requirements meet both of these constraints then go ahead and buy it, otherwise you'll want a single or dual link DVI-D cable.

Don't say you weren't warned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 10:14 PM BST

SonyEricsson Bluetooth watch MBW-150 Music Edition
SonyEricsson Bluetooth watch MBW-150 Music Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish piece of kit with geek-cred, 15 Feb 2011
Being the runt that I am, I was a bit worried that this fat watch would look a little bulky on my puny wrist, but thankfully it's not as bad as the side-shots would have you believe; it looks and feels like an ordinary watch.

Unlike other pieces of technological wearware this piece of kit actually looks reasonably good, it's not as stylish as the executive edition, but it scrapes acceptable business attire while retaining geek cred. Incoming call, SMS and email alerts are sent directly to the device via vibrations and a scrolling message. I can control my media player and volume from it, and most importantly it panics if my phone goes out of range.

The Bluetooth does sap a fair amount of power, but when the battery drops to critical levels the link is automatically severed, allowing the thing to continue for several more days without a recharge. I've gone for almost two weeks without recharging it which is far longer than I expected. It is only usually removed from my wrist twice a week, for an hour while recharging and for two and a half minutes during sex (apparently it's cold). Yes, it's waterproof and I wear it in the bath.

I don't actually use this with a Sony Ericsson phone, I use an Android device and the OpenWatch software from the Android market. Apparently this software is also available for Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices.

From a technical standpoint the watch acts as a computer and communicates with a single Bluetooth device over an RFCOMM channel as if talking to an AT modem, it then uses the Sony Ericsson extensions to request a specific set of out-of-band event messages. The spec for this protocol is freely available from SE if you are a hacker who is excited by this sort of thing. The device itself is not programmable so if you're that way inclined, extending its functionality can only be done by abusing the built-in message types. This means that it's not possible to unlock your phone or computer via a button press, have simultaneous buttons explode a remote mine or easily make the volume buttons navigate a remote menu system.

On the whole I'm happy with my watch, if it was more hacker-friendly or came with a laser and/or garotte I'd give it 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 1:27 AM GMT

Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 10.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable, 7 April 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
I would moan about the DRM but I knew what I was getting in to when I bought this game.
I bought a new PC to play this game because it was too slow, I had to run a hacked Forceware drivers to get it to display properly on my old machine. I now have a 64-bit quad core box with 8GB of RAM and a reasonably good graphics card with a gig of ram, but the game doesn't run well at all, it is almost playable in 640x480 but feels sluggish and looks awful.
After all the messing around, plus spending 600 quid on a new computer just to play it I've had enough. I feel cheated. I won't be buying another GTA game again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2009 12:32 AM BST

Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard
Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of style, but lacking in substance, 3 Dec 2008
I bought my diNovo Edge about a year ago and have used it as my main keyboard for most of this time. On the whole the keyboard is a nice product- the battery life is exceptional, outliving my Logitech mouse by at least ten times. The feel is equal to a standard keyboard and the design is of course incredibly slick, as a standard bluetooth input device it works with most mobile phones.
However, the keyboard has the annoyance of not having break or pause key and having no way of redefining the useless extra keys to act as these buttons. I'd quite happily ditch the sleep button which is in an awkward position and tends to get accidentally pressed when you pick it up.
The worst thing about this keyboard for me is the intermittent disconnections and long reconnection time which only seems to happen when you've pressed down a key but not yet released it, and even though the drivers weigh in at over 50MB, they don't auto-release keys when the keyboard disconnects -- or 3 minutes later when it finally reconnects.
Clicking around with a control or alt key pressed down and deleting stuff, or launching a thousand programs because the return key didn't release, or getting wiped out in an online game because you're straifing around in circles makes this keyboard a danger to use. Think of the most awkward time for a button to be held down indefinitely and you can bet it's happened to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
Fine for use as a huge remote for your media center, but far too large to fit in your notebook bag and I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for your desktop keyboard.

Accelerando
Accelerando
by Charles Stross
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious speculative fiction for the hard scifi fan, 25 July 2008
This review is from: Accelerando (Paperback)
The most believable prediction for the future of humanity that you've ever likely to read, Stross takes his readers on a journey through the life of a transhuman meme-broker who, as a Singulatarian advocates the push away from human beings and into whatever comes next. When it has finally arrived half a century later the old protagonist is a relic of the past, as inflexible and set in his ways as the generations before him.

The real beauty of this story is the realism of the predictions, Stross' technology takes ideas from futurists such as Ray Kurzweil and projects them through time with absolute clarity of vision. The technological enhancements of consciousness don't start with microchips in people's heads, but with slight improvements to the portability and accessibility of existing technology. Stross validated my opinion that keyboards, mice and search engines are actually enhancements of the human mind, and that the slow take-off has already begun. Google is the first steps toward thread-based AI information agents and Wikipedia is our collective memory dump. If painting a believable path for the fate of humanity wasn't enough, he also extrapolates to include aliens and even hints at the end state of the universe. Mind blowing stuff.

I can only find a few faults with this book, the first being that the character development is rather lacking. The second is that the view that AI's would have some kind of real internal experience is an unorthodox one, one that even as a Monist I have trouble subscribing to. Finally, by the end of the book the children of humanity are so unlike ourselves that they are impossible to describe, so after a point Stross simply focuses on the human story instead.

Even after reading this I am still rooting for the machines. Goodbye Sol system, hello Dyson Cloud!

Consciousness Explained (Penguin Science)
Consciousness Explained (Penguin Science)
by Daniel C. Dennett
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Consciousness dissected, described, but still not explained, 22 July 2008
This rather long and sometimes rambling book achieves at least two thirds of what I expected. Dennett completely demolishes the Cartesian Dualism model, showing through anecdote and experiment that ideas of a separate mind and body are completely out of touch with reality.
A large portion of the book is dedicated to dismantling ideas that are built on this model, I found the non-linear, revisionist perception of time to be one of the most powerful and thought provoking revelations.
Drawing from many fields of science (computing, psychology, neurology and evolutionary biology to name a few) he then goes on to describe his alternative model for consciousness. His multiple drafts theory is empirical, making falsifiable scientific predictions and I believe his description to be an accurate one.

The book is sometimes quite difficult to follow, philosophy is rarely an easy read but I've come to expect popular science writers to speak plainly, where Dawkins coins snappy and self-explanatory words such as "meme" or "concestor" Dennett's "heterophenomenology" is a nine syllable monster. Also it is not a riveting read, it has taken me almost a year to finally finish this book. I enjoyed the experiments, anecdotes, evolutionary biology and computer science much more than the reams of prelude and philosophical reasoning. In my opinion it would have been better as two books, one a highly technical exploration of the philosophy of mind and another popular science for the layman. I would have enjoyed the latter much more.

Finally I think that the title is misleading, it did transform my understanding of human consciousness but it raised as many new questions as it answered. I am no closer to understanding what consciousness is, what it means to be, or whether consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe or an emergent pattern in matter. Perhaps "Consciousness Described" would have been a more fitting title.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 6:22 PM GMT

Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health
Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health
by L. Ron Hubbard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Brainwashing material, 25 Jan 2008
Contageous mind-control manual disguised as a self-help book, do not read unless you are strong of mind and can see through it.
If it contained a shred of truth then modern psychology would have adapted the ideas. This is the basis for the cult of dianetics, and could cost you dearly.

If you must buy this book, buy it directly from Amazon and not from one of the resellers as you'll end up on a Scientology mailing list and spammed for the rest of your life. You have been warned.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2009 1:53 AM BST