Profile for C. Johnson > Reviews

Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Pebble Blue
Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Pebble Blue
Offered by Prepaymania
Price: 230.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Good phone - but getting it working was not easy!, 26 Jan 2013
Its early days yet, but the phone seems good. What I wanted to report was my issues getting it working, so others might not feel so along.

1. A small box arrives with NO INSTRUCTIONS. I mean, no instructions at all, not even 500 pages of guarantee in swahili!

2. So, being technical, and all Google-synched, I knew I just had to swap over the SIM and set up accounts. But my SIM did not fit! New SIMS are smaller! Now there were videos on the internet on how to cut it down with shears! I chose to pop in to T-mobile and they gave me a new SIM for 10.00 and put it in.

3. At home, with WIFI, the system did a firmware update and rebooted. WIFI fine, but outside no internet even though every setting (confirmed by another trip to t-mobile) correct. They could not explain, but suggested I did a full firmware replacement with Kies - archh!

4. Instead, I did a little Googling and found that on the upgrade, some very important t-mobile information was wiped and stopped all data comms.

Here are instructions to put it back in (curtesy of [...])

settings > more settings >mobile networks. then ensure that 'Use packet data' is ticked.

click on 'access point names'. if 't-mobile internet' isnt there press the options button (the bottom left on the handset) then '+ New APN'.

fill in the fields as follows:

Name: t-mobile internet
ignore server, MMSC, MMS proxy and MMS port
ensure 'MCC' has the number 234 in it
ensure 'MNC' has the number 30 in it
Authentication type: PAP

then press the bottom left options button again and select 'save'. then ensure that the tmobile one is highlighted and reboot your phone... hey presto! mobile data :D

5. Finally, if you have IMAPPed your emails and cannot see sub-folders, you just have to click "show all folders" and touch the yellow folder signs with a ">" and they appear!

Happy days!

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
Offered by DIGITAL-DEALS247
Price: 13.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good base response, but large, 17 Oct 2011
I have to say that there is no problem with the base response! My only problem was that they protruded out of my ear so much that when I could not turn my head in bed and rest on the pillow. Fellas might not like the girly red wire!

Kodansha's Furigana Dictionary: Japanese-English/English-Japanese
Kodansha's Furigana Dictionary: Japanese-English/English-Japanese
by Kodansha International

3.0 out of 5 stars Great dictionary - with a magnifying glass, 4 Nov 2009
Having already got the Oxford beginners japanese dictionary, I needed one with a few more words and phrases. This uses furigana (small hiragana above the kanji) rather than repeating the japanenes in hiragana and then kanji. Certainly there are lots of new enries and many more phrases, but I tend to have to use a magnifying glass to read the kanji or hiragana, the former because they are complex and the latter because they are now small (to fit above the kanji). Ok, I am now 52 and need reading glasses anyway - but I tend to rely on the Oxford first simply because of this. The book uses no colour, which I liked about the Oxford. Its chunky, not a really large book, only 14x19x5 cm, certainly not pcket size. There is a small appendix, but very sketchy indeed. Unlike the Oxford, it only shows the "dictionary form" of the verbs, i.e. if soemthing is in the "~mas" or "~te" form, it will not redirect you to the dictionary form.

All in all it is a good dictionary, not quite for the beginner, and does not try to solve the "tiny character" problem, indeed it makes it worse, if you rely on hiragana.

Great Physicists: The Life and Times of Leading Physicists from Galileo to Hawking
by William H. Cropper
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great condensed set of mini-biographies on Physicists, 3 Oct 2009
If you want nice short chapters covering a number of phyisicists, this is the book for you. Unlike some it does include some maths etc to explain the basic aspects, but it also includes relationships etc.

Garmin Forerunner 301 GPS-Enabled Personal Trainer with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 301 GPS-Enabled Personal Trainer with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)
Price: 249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide between 301 and 305?, 12 Aug 2007
I have now bought both 301 and 305 (I could not do without one whilst the first went back for repair!

301 - Cheaper, excellent display, indeed larger than the 305. Initialisation of satellites could take 2-3 minutes every day and sometimes gets lost for 30 seconds on a run under trees. Poor USB socket reliability - mine broke.

305 - in general it is more expensive, looks cool and has more functionality, eg racing against a previous run and fully alterable displays.

However, the 305 has a great PLUS POINT - the GPS initialisation is fantastic, 30 seconds in the house and doesn't loose it on a run.

The 305 has one BAD POINT - The display is not only smaller, the contrast (alterable) is poorer but the letter describing the data fields and value for history are SO SMALL and wispy that I can barely see them with contact lenses and reading glasses, whilst the 301 was fine without both.

To end on a good note, the 305 has flush pins for USB connection and fits into a cradle. My 301 had a miniature USB on the watch, which filled up with sweat and somehow became intermittent - hence back for repair.

Conclusion - 305 is better, but if you have poor eye sight, I would get the 301.

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by Best Digital Market
Price: 119.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide between 301 and 305?, 10 Aug 2007

Conclusion - 305 is better, but only just and if you have poor eye sight, I would get the 301.

Buffalo HS-D300GL-1 LinkStation Home Server 300GB
Buffalo HS-D300GL-1 LinkStation Home Server 300GB

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but fails with foreign file names, 8 Oct 2006
I have just received my D300GL. It was relatively quick to set up and provided a network drive on my system that I could use immediately. It was relatively quiet, althouth I did find the very slight clunk every few seconds unnerving. I am not sure why it accesses its disk all the time, and there was no evidence of power save, although one can tell it to sleep from say midnight to 7am (I really cannot think why one should want this rather than an authomatic power down). I note that there is no firmware upgrade facility so what you get is what you keep with all the unknown bugs.

There is one serious problem with this device. You cannot create, rename or copy any files or folders which do not use "normal characters". Why would you want to you ask? My simply DOS xcopy backup routine kept crashing every time it discovered a music file that had been ripped using windows media player from a foreign CD (eg Greek) and every foreign web address I wished to save. I am waiting for a remedy, but a quick search suggests that there is none and there is no upgrade facility. There is a facility to change the language (ISO... this and that), but this had no effect and anyway, I do not wish to work ONLY in Greek! The only solution one web user came up with was to rename all foreign files.
[...]
Real shame, because it looks good and works well.