Profile for partofthewallpaper > Reviews

partofthewallpaper

New Leopard/Animal Print Button Up Blazer/Jacket/Coat
New Leopard/Animal Print Button Up Blazer/Jacket/Coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 8 April 2013
I was slightly concerned that because of the price that it would be cheap and tacky looking. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the material was of a good quality considering the price. It's flattering, true to size and arrived promptly. Very pleased with my purchase.

23 (Album Version)
23 (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite JEW song, 4 April 2013
This review is from: 23 (Album Version) (MP3 Download)
I have always adored this song and in my opinion it is the best one they have ever done. It's over 7 mins long but it's so good that it feels like the length of an average song. Anybody who has loved deeply and experienced that love coming to an end will be able to relate to this song. I think the lyrics will mean different things to different people, but from what I can gather it's about the choice between a relationship and a career and how you "can't have your cake and eat it" For example: "You'll sit alone forever
if you wait for the right time. What are you hoping for?" - it's love or a career. You can't decide when you fall in love, when you pursue your career...you have to take your chances when you have them and make sacrifices. A brilliant song with many possible interpretations that should get way more recognition.

Harry Potter - Offical Hufflepuff Neck Tie
Harry Potter - Offical Hufflepuff Neck Tie
Offered by Toy Zany

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this product, 4 April 2013
I purchased this for my little sister's birthday who is a massive Harry Potter fan. I had previously searched for Hufflepuff memorabilia elsewhere and found that they were grossly overpriced and being a student nurse, well out of my budget. There are cheaper ties available but they are not like the ones in the films and I only buy from sellers I trust, such as Amazon. The item arrived promptly and I am very pleased with the quality. I think the price should be lower but I was happy to pay it as considering the usual price of Harry Potter merchandise this was pretty good. The Hufflepuff emblem at the bottom is a nice touch also.

All Quiet on the Western Front
All Quiet on the Western Front
by Erich Maria Remarque

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of anti-war literature!!!, 21 Dec 2008
All the WWI books I had read were about the English soldiers' point of view. The reader could easily develop some sort of prejudice towards the Germans by reading these books but thanks to ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT we are able to see it from the German soldiers' point of view and it makes you realise that they were just as brave and suffered as much as any English soldier. Amazing book and wonderfully written.

AQA English Literature A AS: Literature of World War One: Student Book (Aqa As Level)
by Stella Canwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 16 Dec 2008
It isn't to long and gets straight to the point - which is a plus when you have a lot of revision to be getting on with. Gives a lot of useful tips on essay writing, the prose to be studied etc without being bombarding. I recommned this, especially if your struggling a bit with the course and need a few helpful hints.

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 16 Dec 2008
It takes a lot for me to get completely sucked in and hooked on a book as I have high expectations, but A Quiet Belief In Angles fulfilled these and so much more. It's my favourite book to date and I highly recommend it to everyone and anyone. I'm a fussy 17 year old so if I love it I'm sure that anybody else will love it too. This isn't a "who dunnit?" crime fiction novel. Each character has their own unique and complex personality so your mind isn't on who the murderer could be as you are entirely sucked in by Joseph's (the main character) thoghts and feelings that you just might become quite attached to him. My only critisism is that they first chapter doesn't make much sense and is quite hard going, but don't let it put you off. Once you have got to the end of the book, turn back to the beginning and you will understand it perfectly and realise that it was actually a very good way to start the book.

The Return Of The Soldier (VMC)
The Return Of The Soldier (VMC)
by Rebecca West

1.0 out of 5 stars A short read, yet it drags on forever, 4 Nov 2008
I am 17 and have just started studying A Level English Literature and the first topic I am studying is WW1 Literature. This was the first books I read and I was highly disapointed as I so desperately wanted it to be good, as a lot of the highly acclaimed WW1 literature is from a male point of view. I found a lot of it hard to follow and what I thought would be a short read turned out to be the total opposite as I was forever re-reading paragraphs because I didn't understand them. I strongly feel that the language needs to be updated for the modern audience as the overall plot is good but the prose is very hard going, especially for a young A Level student like myself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 6:59 PM BST

Strange Meeting
Strange Meeting
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 4 Nov 2008
This review is from: Strange Meeting (Paperback)
I am 17 and I have just started studying A level English Literature so I've been stocking up on books about World War 1, as that is the topic in question. Because a lot of World War 1 literature is a little out dated and sometimes hard to understand and the books I had read already had bored me to tears, I was expecting "STRANGE MEETING" to be just as dull. But from the first line I was gripped. You immediately feel a close connection with the main character, John Hilliard and although he has quite a complex personality, I found that I began to understand his recations perfectly because Pat Barker writes in such a way that you get emotionally attached and almost feel as if you are the main character. The story gets better as it goes along, as more characters are introduced and you see how Hilliard's personality begins to soften as he befriends David Barton - a character that I immediately fell in love with. I could go on and on singing this book's praises, but what proves that it's an excellent piece of literature and worth reading is that when a character suffers a loss you grieve with them and when you read the last line of the book, you can't help but sigh as the tears prick your eyes. It is truly that beautiful :)