Profile for Steven A. McKay > Reviews

Content by Steven A. McKay

Steven A. McKay (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as the last one, 23 Jan. 2016
Good game but I found it became a bit of a chore near the end - I actually got so fed up with it I was going to uninstall it then I checked a Walkthough and realised I was right at the very end. So I completed it! The previous game was, IMO, much better though. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but the first one was more fun, had more satisfying combat and felt less linear and just more exciting overall.
Still the Xbox One is seriously lacking in great games and this is one of the best on the system.

Dystopia
Dystopia
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modern metal album!, 23 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Dystopia (Audio CD)
I felt like a kid on Xmas day yesterday when I woke up and downloaded this from Amazon. I didn't buy SuperCollider, and haven't really been that much of a fan of anything they've done since, well, probably TWNAH was the last CD of theirs I bought with much excitement. So you can tell how much I enjoyed the three tracks they put out before Dystopia finally hit!
This is overall a great record, probably mostly on a par with the best bits from the likes of Endgame or United Abominations but with the added bonus of better solos and drumming and a renewed fire that's most evident on those 3 pre-release songs which are really excellent.
Kiko does a good job and in places his vibrato reminds me of Chris Poland, but it's Marty Friedman who's the best guitarist Megadeth have ever had and Kiko just doesn't come close to what Marty did during his time with the band.
It has to be the world's hardest job replacing a guy like Friedman, he's literally a musical genius when it comes to writing guitar leads, but Kiko lays down some nice parts and is a huge step-up from Chris Broderick.
Ditto Chris Adler. I'm actually a little disappointed with what he does here as I'm a big fan of his and I expected much more grooving. There's some, but again he doesn't reach the heights Nick Menza did on Rust or Countdown. I DO think Adler deserves much credit for this album being so good though as I think - being a big Megadeth fan - he lit a much-needed fire under Mustaine's ass and the result is the best Megadeth album since Cryptic Writings IMO (I love that album).
Dave's solos are excellent (better than Kiko's by some margin actually) and his vocals sound pretty good too. Ellefson, well, his bass tone is legendary and he does a good job here as always.
Even the cover art gets a thumbs-up from me and overall I'm really enjoying this album. Slayer's Repentless was also a great CD and the new Anthrax one sounds very promising with the couple of songs they've put out so far. Thrash is seriously back on track IMO.
Now all we need is Metallica to reclaim their crown but I won't be too disappointed if they don't. Dave Mustaine and Kerry King are the new kings of the Big 4!

Steven A. McKay, author of The Forest Lord (3 Book Series)

XMI X-Mini Max Duo Portable Mini Speakers with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Green
Offered by Fone Dealer Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little product!, 22 Jan. 2016
These things are awesome! I have a Samsung S5 and a Samsung Tab 4 and both have really CRAP speakers built in, so I bought these and I couldn't be happier. They're not particularly loud, but they sound great and are much louder than the speakers in the phone and tablet. They pack away into a tiny little pouch and I've still not had to recharge them WEEKS after buying them!
Really an excellent little product, they'd make a great present for anyone too. I even plugged my Jackson Kelly guitar into them via my laptop and Line 6 Guitarport interface and jammed some Megadeth - the speakers worked great!

ToLuLu®Pink Heart Bag 15" 15.4" 15.6" inch Notebook Laptop Shoulder Case Sleeve Carrying bag for Apple MacBook Pro 15 15.4 /Dell Inspiron 15R Vostro XPS Alienware M15X /ASUS A55 K55 N56 X54 /Sony E15 S15 EL2/Lenovo ThinkPad E530 /HP Acer
Offered by Colorful*Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but is not sturdy, 22 Jan. 2016
Fine but very snug fit for a 15.6" laptop and doesn't really have a decent pocket for storing the charger, notepads, USB sticks etc. It's basically just a flimsy carry case and offers next to no protection or padding. Looks nice, but not sturdy enough IMO.

Sony MDR-ZX110 Overhead Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-ZX110 Overhead Headphones - Black
Offered by Freundlichen Himmel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but short cable., 22 Jan. 2016
Fine, but I bought these to use when playing guitar and the cable is just way too short. Had to keep my old, battered Sanyo ones and just use these not to listen to music on my phone.

Rust In Peace
Rust In Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Rust In Peace (MP3 Download)
This is the best album Megadeth will ever release. It's up there, IMO, with AJFA and Reign In Blood as the absolute pinnacle of thrash metal. The riffs are technical without being OTT or overly complex as some of the death metal bands around this time were wont to do.
Marty Friedman's solos are pure genius, and Mustaine himself really proves he's a legendary lead writer here too - the sparks almost literally fly from the speakers when these two trade solos on songs like "Hangar 18".
In short this is one of those rare albums where every musician puts in a classic, one-in-a-lifetime performance while the songs and production are also top-notch and it results in a truly legendary work.
I have fond memories of playing my Commodore 64 while listening to this and now, 25 years on, I still play it constantly. It's a masterpiece.

In saying all that, I still listen to my original CD, before Mustaine decided to remix it and really ruined certain songs. If you can, find the original as it's ten times better than the modern remix.

The Voyage of Odysseus (The Adventures of Odysseus Book 5)
The Voyage of Odysseus (The Adventures of Odysseus Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Homer’s original, Glyn Iliffe’s series is destined to become a classic!, 22 Jan. 2016
“From one adventure to another the pace never lets up. Like Homer’s original, Glyn Iliffe’s series is destined to become a classic!”

That's the strapline I gave to Glyn Iliffe for the cover of this book and I think it about sums it up. The Trojan War is over and it's time - at last! - for Odysseus and his men to go home. Back to the wife and child he hasn't seen for a decade. But it's not going to be that easy is it?

Anyone who's ever read the Odyssey will know there's still a lot of story to be told and Glyn uses this book to do so. Gone are the schemes and plots to get inside Troy and, in their place are fantastic islands populated by bizarre monsters like the Cyclops. Truly this is a tale of magic and adventure!

And yet, the characters Glyn has created are - here more than ever before - portrayed as REAL people, with real flaws and emotions. They attack an innocent village, for example, purely so Odysseus can gather some more plunder (wealth and slaves) to take back from the long war. This is how it was back then and the author doesn't shy away from it - it's just a part of life, but it really shows us the type of hard men we're dealing with and it's a great counterpoint to all the fantasy that permeates the story.

The battle scenes are excellent - vivid, exciting and brutal, while the pacing of the tale is just about perfect, drawing the reader in from the very start and not letting go until the end. And it's a long book so you're really getting your money's worth here, as Odysseus and his side-kick Eperitus lurch from one horrible situation to another, even visiting Hades along the way.

Glyn Iliffe has been lucky in a way with this series because much of the tale has been written for him, so he "just" has to flesh it out in his own style. BUT that can also be a curse and I think the end of this particular book shows that. If you know the story of Odysseus from Homer's original you will know his voyage home is not an easy one - far from it. And as a result this novel is very dark, with a lot of death and sadness and I did feel it started to become rather oppressive just as it neared the end.

But things finish on a hopeful note and the next book is set up perfectly!

Glyn is now self-published and I think this new novel really proves his mettle as a writer. Given his original books had the benefit of major in-house editors, cover designers etc I can say this, and his previous self-published book The Oracles of Troy, stand alongside them and, in fact, are probably BETTER.

The Voyage of Odysseus should be out NOW - I hope you pick up a copy, but DO start at the beginning if you haven't read the previous books. They're ALL excellent.

Steven A. McKay, author of Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord Book 1)

This review first appeared on my website and I was given an advance copy of the ebook by the author.

Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive Giftset
Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive Giftset

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells nice., 21 Jan. 2016
Smells nice. What more can I say?

The Adventures of Odysseus (4 Book Series)
The Adventures of Odysseus (4 Book Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, 21 Jan. 2016
I love this entire series! Magic and high adventure like the original, but populated by real people in the modern historical fiction style, this is The Odyssey for the 21st century reader.
The latest book, and the BRAND NEW one, The Voyage of Odysseus, are now self-published, but they are every bit as good as the first three. In fact, they're probably the best in the series.

Deliverance & Damnation Remixed
Deliverance & Damnation Remixed

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning but let down by poor packaging., 22 Dec. 2015
The music is flawless, you probably know that already. The 5.1 mix is great on both discs and the drumming in particular really stands out - I'm hearing things I never heard before and it's awesome.
Someone else mentioned the Deliverance mix being "trippy" and I agree with that. It sounds more open and almost psychedelic in places but it's at the cost of the sheer brutality the original mix had - that seems rather lost here, on the guitars at least. Mikael's growls seem to benefit greatly from the mix though, gaining a new venom that's simply stunning. He sounds like the devil incarnate here on the heavy stuff!
Overall I'm really, really pleased with the new mixes and recommend them to anyone who's a fan of the band. I only discovered Opeth when "Deliverance" came out and I think it's the best album they ever did, since I'm an old-school death metal fan. At the same time, I believe "Damnation" is a masterpiece. It took me a few years to "get" it after it came out but now, well...these two discs are the perfect package for music fans.
I have to say I'm disappointed in the packaging itself - yes, the discs are in very tight cardboard pockets although I managed to get them out easily enough by stretching the cardboard with my finger until it loosened up but I've been buying all the Jethro Tull 5.1 remixes recently and I hoped for something similar here. The Tull boxsets come with thick booklets filled with detailed notes from mainman Ian Anderson along with photos, interviews, notes on the actual recordings of the albums etc etc. They are stunning and take a good long time to read and absorb.
This on the other hand...it's very poor. What you get is a little piece that only spans about a page by some music journo, and another short piece from Mikael himself which amounts to "I hated Deliverance but I suppose it's alright now." Really.
Seriously, it'd have been nice to have a few pages looking at the songs in depth, maybe some thoughts from the other band members.
But I suppose, in the long run all we really need is the music and that, well, it's just about damn perfect. 2 discs of pure genius!

Steven A. McKay, author of The Forest Lord (3 Book Series)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10