Profile for Lizzy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
TIJUANA CHRISTMAS "SOUND OF BRASS" VINYL LP 1968
TIJUANA CHRISTMAS "SOUND OF BRASS" VINYL LP 1968

5.0 out of 5 stars This is soooo fab!, 17 Dec 2013
My parents bought this when were kids; it is so lively and jovial I just wish it would be re-released. I've been searching for a copy for years.
We all used to dance around and pretend we were playing trumpets.
Once you hear it you'll love it,all four of us kids did!

Happy Christmas!

Limelight
Limelight
by Terence Feely

5.0 out of 5 stars Of its time, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Limelight (Hardcover)
I had previously read Rich Little Poor Girl in the 80s and was searching for a copy of that when I came across this novel.
It's a thoroughly enjoyable read not to be taken too seriously but absorbing nonetheless.
In short the story is about a young woman who progresses through a TV production company's hierarchy in a bid to quash her father's prison sentence; he had been framed for a crime he did not commit.
It's a bit of fun, well written with some 'romance' thrown in.

Think of a Number
Think of a Number
by John Verdon

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but don't read this until you've read it..., 20 July 2011
This review is from: Think of a Number (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book, it's an easy read and captures the attention.
But I stumble over the fact that such a brilliant detective didn't carry out a basic procedural check on one of the central figures - you can guess who as I don't want to spoil it. I was asking myself why this hadn't happened halfway through. If it had been done lives would have been saved!

The Third Man
The Third Man
by Peter Mandelson

3.0 out of 5 stars Wet wet wet, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Third Man (Hardcover)
I have only managed to get half way through the audio book.

I am surpised at the utter self-interest, self promotion and blind love of the party that Mandelson demonstrates. I really wanted him to be different from his parents, the Blairs and to do his own thing, but he doesn't and he hasn't.

But what's REALLY driving me nuts and is delaying me listening until the end is his 'wet' mouth; it's as if he's got loads of saliva spare, just slushing around as he speaks, it's terribly distracting and yucky.

I'm saving the final discs for my next trek to Cornwall if I can bear it.

Despite the excess fluid it is interesting, but can only be absorbed gradually.

The Look of Love - The Burt Bacharach Collection
The Look of Love - The Burt Bacharach Collection
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Must be shallow, 11 Jun 2011
Not what I expected so was disappointed - this CD is now in my car boot and I have't played it since I first received it.
I hadn't heard of some songs or the singers and I thought several were a bit hill billy, it's not a compilation of BB's most popular songs but I suppose if you are an 'officianado' you'll love it.
The one's I knew I liked but there weren't enough of them. Does anyone know where to get a compilation of his most well known?

Morning Glory [DVD]
Morning Glory [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rachel McAdams

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted, 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: Morning Glory [DVD] (DVD)
Just what I wanted on a dull morning - light hearted, not too intense.

Attractive hero.
But I wont bother with the analysis as it doesn't merit it.

This made me feel good whilst I was doing the ironing.

The Ultimate Gary Glitter: 25 Years of Hits
The Ultimate Gary Glitter: 25 Years of Hits
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Money matters far more, 11 Jun 2011
Yes, he's really not very nice, but when did that EVER make a difference to the Marketeers and the paying public - just look at the reviews for this album (so easy to disassociate oneself from the reality - remember it's your money that keeps him comfortable and able to do what he LIKES...)

I'm sure it's not bad - i liked it when I was a child - But now I'm an adult.

Amazon doesn't permit zeros out of principle.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 11:04 PM BST

Soul on the Street
Soul on the Street
by William Roache
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars He means it about 'soul'., 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Soul on the Street (Audio CD)
A spiritual man - in the Spiritualist sense. 'Disagree with his views on reincarnation, his explanation of the process provided clarity, but he didn't convince me his belief system was better than the one I follow (not 100% sure that he intended to anyway).
It was thought provoking and provided an insight into an area that I know little about but despite that, his enthusiasm or perhaps it was just WR himself, hasn't made me want to find out more.

It's worth a listen, it's light hearted it does include his life story and that too is interesting, but beware it's not a gossip about Corrie if that's what you're looking for; for me it was bought cheap, it's not taxing and helped pass the time on a 4 hour journey to Cornnwall.

Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
by Cherie Blair
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it second hand, 18 Mar 2011
I bought the audio version, so I actually had the pleasure of Cherie speaking for herself; delivering it with all the tonal emphasis and emotion that would really make it come to life. Let me tell you in this version she's not humorous or witty, she takes herself quite seriously (to give her the benfit of the doubt...it could be because only the gripey things are important in an abridged version, but she must have had some influence on content).

I bought it because I didn't particularly care for her and I thought I was being unreasonable. One positive: it was interesting...hence the 3 stars.

She didn't engender any feeling of warmth, no sympathy, no relief that she's just an ordinary woman, no soft and fluffy Cherie; don't be fooled she is not just an ordinary woman, she did make stupid mistakes but they did not endear her to me. She's very clever and if she needs it has quick and easy access to advice from many people who know how to spin and she was, for 10 years the Prime Minister of Great Britain's wife, that's not ordinary. The minutiae of people's lives is always 'ordinary' it's the other stuff that makes the difference otherwise no one would bother buying her book - you don't want to read about your own life.

Undoubtedly she's done well, she's bright, intelligent but she's carrying a burdensome chip.

The one thing that really did it for me was the double standard, her attitude, particularly when she referred to the children's education being 'outside of politics' (and I'm not trawling back through the discs for the exact wording) It annoyed me. Of course some things are outside of politics but not when the party hubbie heads up professes to be against what you are doing. If hubbie is the PM and impacting other people's lives and you are supporting his politics and if you benefit from his position and prestige (in any way); you have a duty to be honest and honourable and more so than the rest.

Electronic Mouse Killer
Electronic Mouse Killer

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this and a blob of peanut butter, 18 Mar 2011
I have an old house and these were fantastic as I was going mad with the scratching. They do work. But they work really quickly if you press a blob of peanut better next to the electrified plate; the mice are attracted to the smell (the professional vermin control man told me to do this).
As a result I 'got' four mice over a couple of nights. A light flashes when it's done the job ( although I'm not sure if this version has one, whilst it is very similar from the photo).
Much faster than the blue bait and infinitley better than the wheat based bait which was a total waste of money as the mice completely ignored it.

Page: 1 | 2