Profile for Ya Kil > Reviews

Content by Ya Kil

Ya Kil "Beautiful music goes beyond language" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Inconsiderate (feat. Patoranking)
Inconsiderate (feat. Patoranking)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carnival season!, 14 July 2016
Summer hit for 2016, very mellow and highly catchy.

The Seasons of Life
The Seasons of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars After winter must come spring..., 14 July 2016
Wow, this will sober you up if you have a negative bank account. What it will also do, if you make that decision, it's to spur you to action. Life is made for living, not wallowing on misery. Recognising each step (season) we are in can give us an indication to how we can adjust to circumstances and improve our lives. For parents like myself or teachers, I would advise that they share Jim Rohn's wisdoms to the younger generation. His philosophy is such a breath of fresh air in a clogged up negative world (the danger of Pokémon in 2016), reality TV gossip (Real housewives of...), scaremongering (Brexit, Donald Trump) *and breathe* I'm grateful for Jim's words and it is my suggestion/advise that you read it and make up your own mind on it.

Emotion
Emotion

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotions that draws you closer to divinity, 29 April 2016
This review is from: Emotion (Audio CD)
In my humble opinion, this is the best "World Music" album ever recorded. From the thumping opening track "Yolele" to the melodic and ambient fairy-like "Ah ouais". Papa Wemba, the king of Rumba-Rock, was a fan of Otis Redding and finally got the chance to cover one of his songs (Fa fa fa fa - Sad song). Emotion is very eclectic in that you can hear Afro-Cuban music (Epelo) followed by some mash-up Tribal Drum & Bass (Shofele) with the soaring voice of Papa Wemba leading the proceeding. Delectable from start to finish, Emotion has not aged. Although the album seemed aimed at an European market rather than the African audience, it placed Papa Wemba in the pantheon of great musicians to have walked the earth.

The Jim Rohn Guides Complete Set
The Jim Rohn Guides Complete Set

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have - Digital age philosophy, 31 Mar. 2016
This opus should be on every serious entrepreneur bedside and every parent's library. The advice that Jim Rohn gives is timeless. My favourite is on communication, but I was introduced to this guides via a SUCCESS AUDIO series on "goal setting". The narrative was so vivid and made perfect sense that after a few listens, I wanted to know more. I never realised that there were 4 more guides. Through his philosophy and work, Jim Rohn will forever touch the hearts of many people whether they run a business or not. This is a philosophy

The Great British Entrepreneur's Handbook 2016: Inspiring entrepreneurs
The Great British Entrepreneur's Handbook 2016: Inspiring entrepreneurs

3.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 31 Mar. 2016
Full of insightful stories and advices for the many wanna-be entrepreneurs in the UK. The book is a general review narrated by people like you and me who have decided to be the master of their destiny. The book has been sponsored by Natwest and FedEx to name but a few companies so will serve a younger crowd. For meatier stories, I suggest you get THE ENTREPRENEUR ROLLERCOASTER by Darren Hardy.

The Four Year Career: How to Make Your Dreams of Fun and Financial Freedom Come True, or Not...

5.0 out of 5 stars It can be read in one sitting. Not because ..., 31 Mar. 2016
It can be read in one sitting. Not because it's short, but fascinating. It gives you another perspective or testimonial from a successful professional in Network Marketing who's been there, done that. The success stories tend to go on and on and you hope to read about someone you are familiar with, but I guess, discovering new names in the industry is a plus. Take the leap of faith! And work hard for your dreams...

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
by Stephen R. Covey

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't just read it, practice it..., 24 Feb. 2016
I hesitated before writing a review since there are already 600 plus who have done the same. So, I took the time to read some of the negative reviews (1 star rating) to find out what they didn't like about the book. Wow! This just proves the point that reviews are mere opinions from readers and if we were to buy into theirs, we will either be satisfied or discontent. Now, as a person whose English is not the first language, I have learn so many new words and fell in love with Dr Stephen Covey's lexicon. It felt like not a single word is wasted and each sentence is constructed beautifully while being concise and deeply meaningful.

I have read it once. I will read it a second time and underline many of my favourite bits. I have already started to implement these seven habits and they are nothing short of challenging. The work that the late author has produced is undoubtedly one of the most important literary work of our times. It's a shame that some do not see it that way, but that's their paradigm. It is futile to force your opinion onto someone else's. However, the book gives you a frame of work to emulate in order for you to become a more effective person.

Don't take my word for it since you do not know me. But if you were to buy the book based on reviews, I suggest that you read a preview and form your own opinion. As for me, this is arguably one of the most life-altering book I have ever read and I always recommend it to my friends. I am a strong believer of "the books you don't read won't help" and "the person who doesn't read is not different from the person who can't read", therefore similar books stimulate my imagination and "the 7 habits of highly effective people" has sent it into a frenzy. I hope it does the same to you when you read it and put it into practice.

L'amour Au Kilo
L'amour Au Kilo

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't weigh love, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: L'amour Au Kilo (MP3 Download)
Another classic of Congolese Rumba! Unfortunately, this was the only opus that he released. Featuring the vocals of Carlyto Lassa and Abby Souria on most songs, OUSMANE BAGAYOKO is a staple at every Congolese party. My all-time favourite is DOUDOU A MWEN with his seductive intro followed by a frenetic Soukouss that you can't help but dance to. Other numbers such as MAMI WATA, KOTIKA TE or MBONGO (Money) are equally delectable. This is for the serious collector of fine Congolese music, a must!

Wake Up
Wake Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't sleep on it!, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Wake Up (MP3 Download)
This is one of the best collaborations between two giants of, not only Congolese music but also African music. In the Hip Hop world, Think Nas teaming up with Jay Z on a full album produced by Dr Dre and DJ Premiere: A match made in Heaven! Nearly 20 years later, they have stood the test of time and most of the tracks feature in compilations album. The opening track is a call to unity disguised as a love song. Papa Wemba excels in "Mi amor" with a retro palm wine music for modern ears while Koffi Olomide takes reins on "Avion". Koffi Olomide learnt his ropes in Viva La Musica alongside Reddy Amisi and it is a shame that he became a bitter rival to Wemba after the album was recorded. Therefore, they have never performed it live. Still, the synergy is effortless and each artist played his role to perfection. A must have for Rumba aficionados...

Classic Titles: Koffi Olomidé
Classic Titles: Koffi Olomidé

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a best of, but not entirely classics either, 22 Jan. 2016
Whoever compile this has just chosen some of his favourite Koffi Olomide's songs. Qualify as classics are: DIEU VOIT TOUT, HENRIQUET & ELLE ET MOI. The rest are just good songs that barely (if ever) get performed at concerts. So, it is not a best of, but songs that have lasted the test of time to warrant a listen again and again. If you want 11 CLASSIC TITLES, I will give it to you:

1. VIP.
8. RUE D'AMOUR
9. LOGIQUE
10. GALERIE
11. ELIXIR

This is debatable. So go ahead...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16