Profile for tigertiger-burning bright > Reviews

Further Chronicles of Avonlea
Further Chronicles of Avonlea
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars an old favourite, 5 May 2014
L M Montgomery will no doubt be thought too old-fashioned for modern tastes, but I was brought up on Anne of Green Gables, so what can I say? An easy read.

Maximum Willpower: How to master the new science of self-control
Maximum Willpower: How to master the new science of self-control
by Kelly McGonigal
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars very thought-provoking, 20 Nov 2013
Covers some of the gound in "The Procrastination Equation" and introduces some of the new studies on this frustrating instinct of humanity. Worth reading if you are still not accomplishing as much as you would like to in your professional and private lives.

You Don't Have to Be Rich: Comfort, Happiness, and Financial Security on Your Own Terms
by Jean Sherman Chatzky

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the discount, 20 Nov 2013
Although this book is primarily for the American market, I found it very useful as a "reinforcer" to remind me of the reasons why debt/conspicuous consumption/careless money management are really bad ideas. Even though we may have changed our method of dealing with our financial affairs, i.e. have "reformed", some of us do need to be kept on track. But I would not have bought it if I had had to pay the full price.

The Procrastination Equation: How to Stop Putting Things Off and Start Getting Stuff Done
by Dr Piers Steel
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very thought-provoking book, 19 July 2013
I have read a great many books/articles on time-management/life organization/efficiency programmes. This is the first one I have read which tells me something new, that is - procrastination is hard-wired into our DNA. It is an atavistic quality. I always thought it was a personal failing. Paradoxically, knowing that procrastination is a basic human instinct has made it easier for me to work towards overcoming my delaying impulses. If you want to improve your work/leisure accomplishments I recommend this book.

The Oxford Guide to Writing & Speaking
The Oxford Guide to Writing & Speaking
by John Seely

5.0 out of 5 stars essential for aspiring writers, 19 Jun 2013
I ordered this book for the 'speaking' content. I am about to volunteer for community radio and wanted some guidance.
However, the 'writing' part is also a godsend for anyone who has to write at work or as a hobby

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kindle Paperwhite, 19 Feb 2013
I was given a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and am so pleased with it. I don't think e readers will replace books completely, ever, but they are a very useful complement. They are ideal for the books which you will read only once (most novels, some self-help titles etc). They are not so good for reference books or text books which you have to 'dodge about' with. I am in the process of downsizing and I have to get rid of several full bookcases. That is the best feature of the Kindle -'infinite (reading) riches in a little room'.

Time Management from the Inside Out
Time Management from the Inside Out
by Julie Morgenstern

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Management from the Inside Out, 10 Sep 2011
Glad I bought this book. Much of the information was repeat of other "organising/time management" books but there were some ideas I had not thought of. I would recommend it if you want to make better use of your time/life.