Profile for Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf > Reviews

Content by Mary-The Sweet...

Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks Book 1)
Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Contemporary This Yr!, 16 Dec. 2011
OhmygoshIloveditsomuch!!!! I'd seen the cover of this book out and about for the past few months and couldn't wait for its release. I bought it on my Kindle on release day. I love instant gratification. My kindle ROCKS!

This was such a great book. Jordan is quarterback and captain of her high school football team. That demands respect right there. In a way, I think that Jordan feels like most of us in high school. Different. Author Miranda Kenneally nailed this on the head. It felt very real. Jordan is trying to accomplish so much for her college career. More than that, she is making opportunity for women everywhere. Amen!

I loved that Jordan was such close friends with her teammates. I liked how they didn't treat her any different because she was a girl, but they let her know they knew she was female. I fell in love with Henry and Ty in their first scenes. I kind of had a dream with Henry in it. I LOVE HIM!! I liked that I got to know each characters back story. I'm all about understanding them more and it makes me love the story even better. I love good character development. The pace is good, and kept me reading in the middle of the night.

There is teen sex. I'm really not a fan of normalizing this, even if it IS normal in today's world. Let's not make it normal, eh? But it's here. I suppose I was super naive in high school, but seeing as it has been almost 15 yrs since I graduated high school, I don't remember much.

Overall, fantastic read! I love a good contemporary and this was definitely it!

Quote:
"I didn't know crushing on a guy would require me to up my calorie intake."

Enduring Light
Enduring Light
by Carla Kelly
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Romance!, 16 Dec. 2011
I was looking forward to the 2nd instalment in this series. I'm enamoured with the time period and I wanted to learn more about Paul and Julia. This story takes place directly after Borrowed Light. Julia has been burned by the fire on the ranch, and Paul's home on the Double Tipi has burned to the ground. What trials await for Paul and Julia?

This story is so full of love and longing. There are so many twists and turns that I never saw coming. We get to see so much more of Julia and Paul's personalities in this book. We learn about them as a couple and how much they compliment one another. I loved that. This is practically drowning in Latter-day Saint stereotype again, so if you aren't LDS I'm afraid you won't understand a lot of what is happening. It could have used less of that. But, I still enjoyed the story. If you are looking for an old western LDS love story, then this is your book! It is quite beautiful!

Quote:
He nuzzled her neck. "I've been wanting to do that for months and months. Tell me when to stop."

Flying Blind (The Dragon Diaries)
Flying Blind (The Dragon Diaries)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fantasy!, 5 Dec. 2011
Only one female dragon shifter?! OK! I'm game! I'm a fantasy fan and it has been awhile since I've read anything good. I was intrigued with the preface of dragon shape shifters. If you've never read anything dragon, then you should. They are cool!

Zoe is a young teenage girl who is suppose to be the Wyvern (only female dragon Pyr) but she hasn't shifted yet. She doesn't have any powers and everybody is wondering what's going on. She gets invited to an annual dragon boot camp to possibly help her figure out her powers and finally shift into a dragon already! I loved that idea, a boot camp to learn how to be a dragon! Will there be hot boys there? Of course! Hot dragon boys!

I loved it you guys. I loved all the dragon interaction and I was just dying to know what color dragon Zoe would be when she finally shifted. Would there be a love interest or not? I wanted so much more dragon time and I can't wait for the next book. SO much to look forward too!

Good thing I don't have to wait long. Winging It comes out January 30, 2012!

Virtuosity
Virtuosity

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Virtuosity (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished this book. I don't even think I was planning on getting to it for some time, but I saw some reviews popping up for it and I thought maybe I should move this up on my review pile. I'm glad I did. It is beautifully written. It reminded me of when I played the flute. My senior year of high school and first yr of University I played the professional circuit (basically just getting paid to do gigs, nothing really big). I had a love of music, still do actually. I just enjoy it from another point of view now.

I can not even imagine the stress Carmen was under. No way, no how. I liked Jeremy from the first moment. There was something about him. I'm a sucker for forbidden love. I actually gasped when a certain question was asked from Jeremy to Carmen. WHAT?! So so so wrong. HOW could he ask her that? But then Carmen's family is wrong beyond repair!! The drama!!!

There had better be a sequel. The ending wasn't necessarily a cliffhanger, but I do want more of the story. I wanted more of Carmen and Jeremy's story. I need more romance! I enjoyed it. A bit slow in places, but not in a bad way. It was slow in a ,"I'm thinking about all these feelings going on," way. Liked it.

Quote:
"That's to British," I countered.
"What is?"
"Making sweeping generalizations about Americans because that makes you feel better about having a national inferiority complex the size of the Atlantic Ocean. I was just trying to be helpful, but if folding your pizza threatens you sense of patriotism, you probably shouldn't do it."

Borrowed Light
Borrowed Light

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this time period!, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Borrowed Light (Kindle Edition)
I love the cover! It really does say what this book is about. I'm always entranced by this time period. Even with all the hardships, I think I would have liked to live in this time period.

Julia Darling (love her name!) runs off to Wyoming to avoid a marriage. She is cooking for some ranchers. I love her adventures in the kitchen her first few weeks. Kind of hilarious! While she cooks, a romance is blooming with the boss. Love when that happens.

This is another Latter-day Saint novel. I hate to say it, but if you aren't LDS then you won't know what's going on. It is stereotypical LDS. You may or may not like that. I still enjoyed the story line enough to keep reading.

I did liked it. There is something about this time period that always draws me in. I felt that the romance was organic and true.

Love Inc.
Love Inc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute Contemporary, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Love Inc. (Kindle Edition)
Cute contemporary romance! This is a John Tucker Must Die kind of book. You know? All the girls are dating the same boy and when they realize it they plan a list of adventures to teach him a lesson. Down right hilarious in parts! Characters are all so diverse this will appeal to many.

The girls set up their own business to help other girls in their relationship problems. What a novel idea! What is great is that the girls develop a relationship from strangers to best friends. Something good came out of all of it.

I enjoyed it! I'm enjoying a lot of contemporary right now and this one was fun!

The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince
The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince

5.0 out of 5 stars A love triangle done right!, 5 Dec. 2011
I knew this was going to be amazing, and I wanted to enjoy every single page. Boy did I ever! I don't know how Cassandra Clare has created such an amazing world, but it is truly in a class of its own. Pure brilliance!

We left Clockwork Angel with Will having asked Tessa to be his mistress. I hated him for that. I knew he loved her but why oh why was he being such a jerk all the time?! Well, we find out in Clockwork Prince and let me tell you...my heart broke for Will. We definitely get to know Will better and Jem becomes a shining star. I liked Jem in Clockwork Angel but I LOVE him in CP. He is so much more than meets the eye. Tessa also comes into her own. She learns more about herself and how to deal with her powers and how she can be of use. But, WHAT is she?

Let me just tell you that the love triangle is the best I've probably ever read. Author Cassandra Clare has got it right! She has made both men worthy of Tessa's affection, and have won all of our hearts. But who will Tessa choose? Who will YOU choose? I can't make up my mind. I love both Will and Jem for different reasons and I can't decide whom I like better. I can't decide whom I think is better for Tessa!

This series is just Amazing! There are so many twists and turn to keep you guessing along the way and the characters are always surprising me. Not to mention how much I love this time period! If you haven't read Clockwork Angel or The Mortal Instruments series, then you need to jump on the band wagon. You'll be surprised at how amazing these series truly are. You'll become a fan! I know I am!

Crave (The Clann - Book 1)
Crave (The Clann - Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 17 Nov. 2011
I'm not really sure what to say about this book. There was so much I liked about it, but there was a lot left to be desired also
So, I'm going to start with what I liked. It has been awhile since I've read anything Paranormal. There are only so many vampires, werewolves, and faeries a girl can handle. But I thought it was time to get back into it, because I do enjoy the genre. I thought the preface was a neat idea. WHAT Savannah actually IS and WHAT it actually does. But, when I told my mom she totally laughed. If you think about it, it really is kind of funny where she gets her energy. I liked the interactions between Savannah and Tristan, I wanted MORE though. I thought the ending was well played, and all though I hate cliffhangers, this one wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to the other books in the series.

What I didn't care for: There was too much fluff. I felt like all the mundane things of life were there, over and over again. Just move on already and tell us what was really happening! All the stuff with Greg. Did that really need to be told in such detail? The point would have gotten across without all of that. It took like 60% of the book before anything actually happened. They could have cut 150 pages and gotten to the point better and it would have been an intense book.

Overall, I did like it. I read it fairly quickly and the characters were enjoyable. I'm not wanting to spoil anything, so I won't tell any details. If you like paranormal then this is your thing! Go for it!

Quote:
"I understood then why humans have noses. So we can find each other to kiss in the dark."

Crossed (Matched)
Crossed (Matched)
by Ally Condie

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Slow..., 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Crossed (Matched) (Paperback)
I LOVED Matched and was eagerly awaiting Crossed. There is no doubt that Condie can write. It is a beautiful book, laced with poetry and feeling.

It was just too slow for my taste. I felt like nothing was really happening. Ok, maybe small bits here and there, but it felt like this was a filler to get us to the goods in the 3rd installment. I was expecting more from the romance too. It was just slow. Really, really slow. I was expecting much more suspense. I have no doubt that many people will enjoy this book. I'll be tuning in for the finally, I'd like to know what happens with the Rising!

A Beautiful Dark
A Beautiful Dark

4.0 out of 5 stars What an ending!! WHOA!, 9 Nov. 2011
This review is from: A Beautiful Dark (Kindle Edition)
I just finished this a few hours ago and I am still thinking about it. There is so much happeneing that I feel like I need to process it. I absolutely loved it. Love love loved it!

Skye has so many layers to her. I would love to know her and be her friend. She meets two boys on her seventeeeth birthday and thus starts the love triangle. Some of you don't care for a love triangle, but I for one LOVE them! I'm all about the romance and the more boys to choose from the better, I say. She actually has three boys to choose from. Lucky girl!
This story is deep in a secret world that holds Skye's past captive. I felt completely drawn in by everything that was happeneing and I was trying to guess what was coming next, but nope, I couldn't. This had me guessing the whole way through. I don't want to say too much, you know I don't like to give anything away.

I was actually shocked with the ending. Then I was sad. I actually liked this one character and was rooting for him and am shocked by what happened. This is such a wild ending that I did NOT see coming!

I can not wait for book 2! I actually want to re-read this immediately to let it sink it a little bit more before I move on to the next book. Totally great read! Plus, the cover is gorgeous right?!

Quote:"This was like something from the nature channel: wolves trying to mark their territory. Finally Ian picked up the crumpled bill and begrudgingly made change.
Well, I never asked to be marked."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15