Profile for Mrs "B" > Reviews

The Boy Who Bakes
The Boy Who Bakes
by Edd Kimber

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I had this book on my Amazon Wishlist and I was lucky enough to receive is at as a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law. I didn't see the Great British Bake Off but have a thing about cookbooks and this one had good reviews which is why I added it to my Wishlist.

From the moment I opened the present, we (me and the family) were eyeing up all the cakes, but more specifically, the Red Velvet Cake. I went for it last night and made it for the dessert of our New Years Eve party, I have to say it was fantastic. My husband and I were discussing the possibility that it could be one of the best cakes I have ever made, and I have made a few! It was very well received by the other family members too.

I cannot wait to try more recipes out of the book. The recipes are easy to follow and are not over-complicated with too many ingredients. There are lots of nice pictures. The only problem I have is that I am supposed to be dieting so shouldn't be eating cakes like this!

Thanks Edd for making a lovely book. Look forward to the next one!

COOL BANANAS Envelope V1 leather case for iPad 2 and the new iPad 3 rd gen. in black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 May 2011
I ordered the long-awaited ipad 2 on the release date and also the smart cover. However it became apparent pretty much straightaway that I needed a further protective cover to encase the whole ipad, to prevent scratching on the back and also from children who might like to stamp on it! So I looked around for something that would fit the ipad 2 in as well as the smart cover and found this. This works perfectly for me and I am very happy with it. Highly recommended.

Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
by Jenny Colgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable book!, 21 May 2011
I took this book away with me on holiday and finished it within 3 days. I enjoyed it so much, I found it really difficult to put down!

The whole book makes me want to open my own little cupcake café! Loved the recipe cards in the book (don't know if this is in every book or just where I bought it from) and also the recipe's throughout the chapters of the book.

Never read a Jenny Colgan book before, it just caught my eye and not just because of the word cupcake!

Highly recommended!

Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: What you need to know for the first year from the UK's most trusted nanny.
by Jo Frost

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book overall, 8 Nov. 2007
I have to say that I have not even finished this book yet but feel I can write a review on it. I like the style that the book has been written in and don't find it too strict at all. It encourages you to get to know your baby before imposing routines and I plan to do this when my baby is born at the end of January. I, like many people, have seen Jo's style of childcare (and results!) on Supernanny so knew her style and am confident that I will choose the right methods and routines when bringing up my baby.

The one thing that does really irritate me about this book is the way he/she is used. Rather than sticking to he (or she) for one paragraph or section of the book, you find that there are sentences that just do not make sense! For example... "someone might buy her a little wooden tricycle, which you know he can't ride". There are lots of times when I have seen mistakes like this and like I said earlier I haven't even finished the book. Either it hasn't been proof-read properly or they are trying to be over-politically correct but I think it just lets the book down.

Despite the errors that I find annoying, I would still recommend this book.