Profile for DaviesUK > Reviews

DaviesUK (London, England.)

Into Thin Air: Death on Everest [DVD] [1997] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Into Thin Air: Death on Everest [DVD] [1997] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, moving - and very exciting!, 31 July 2008
I'm a non-mountaineer who has no desire ever to become one, but I found this film totally compelling and most moving. I defy anyone not to weep at the scene where Rob Hall speaks to his wife as he lies dying.

I have seen it three times now, and have read the book upon which it is based, and others. I appreciate that the film may be a partial view, based as it is on one man's account, and I agree that at times it can be confusing, but the story and action are so strong that they carry you through.

As most of the audience won't be expert mountaineers, and as anyone interested can find out as much as they like by reading the books, I think this film is an admirable success.

Careless in Red: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 12
Careless in Red: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 12
by Elizabeth George

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment - not up to expectations, 27 July 2008
AS a great fan of Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley novels, I was looking forward to reading this one. As I expected, it was full of Lynley-angst following the death of his wife and unborn child, but it was strangely unmoving. The novel was peopled with a large number of characters none of whom I cared about or was interested in, there was too little Havers, and the plot was contrived, convoluted and at the same time obvious.

I finished reading it because a book has to be truly dire before I abandon it half way through, but I can only hope the next novel,if there is one, is a return to form. Another one like this, and I'll give up on this series.

Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue
Wycliffe and the Winsor Blue
by W.J. Burley

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable read for mystery fans, 18 Sept. 2007
It's never a good idea to have your series detective a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm afraid that's what I felt about Wycliffe in this outing.

The solution to the Great Mystery of mischievous Edwin Garland was blindingly obvious to this reader from about page 30, so I was yelling at him through the next 200 pages until the penny finally dropped for him. Still, there were murders to solve along the way, and it was entertaining in a horrific way to discover how un-PC this novel now seems, being wriiten in 1986 ..... for instance, the patronising attitude to women police officers, and Wycliffe's feeling of superiority when he actually accepts that a female might be a useful detective. Times have certainly changed for the better, and if this book does nothing else, it reminds us of that!

Rainbow's End (A Richard Jury novel)
Rainbow's End (A Richard Jury novel)
by Martha Grimes

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - as are the rest of this series, 12 Jan. 2006
Having read several of the Richard Jury novels years ago, I remembered why I stopped reading them when I started this one - chosen solely because I'm an English reader travelling to Santa Fe for the first time soon.
The chronological background of the book is ridiculous. It was written in the 1990's and is meant to be a contemporary setting, yet doesn't even remotely resemble the England I've lived in for the past 50 years. For example, there haven't been sweet shops such as the one she describes since the 1930's.
Richard Jury was supposedly a schoolboy during World War II, a fact made much of during the story. Even in the mid-1990's he'd be knocking on towards 60. The English part of the story is people with aristos and the gentility who mock the `ways' of the common folk, views which the reader seems to be expected to share. If it's meant as parody, it singularly fails to convince. If the book had been set in the 1920's the attitudes towards class of its characters might be more believable. Indeed, many of the 'characters' are merely ludicrous caricatures - e.g. the 'loveable'(read *very* sub-Dickensian, & wouldn't be out of place in a poor Dicken's knock-off 150 years ago) cockney-rogue family with a baby named Robespierre are deeply irritating, and their antics farcical. Perhaps the book - and this is true of the other Grimes crime I have read - is aiming for the surreal, but all it arouses in this reader is perplexity and irritation. Frankly, to portray England as like this in the 1990's is silly. I don't read mysteries for the realism or the social analysis, I read to escape, but if the writer wants me to suspend disbelief she had better make a *bit* more of an effort not to get her setting so wildly incorrect.
The book also features two child-characters, one carried over from a previous book, both annoying rather than endearing or intriguing, which was apparently the intention.
I couldn't wait to finish it, and I mean that in the worst possible way.
Oh - the plot. The solution to the crime was obvious well before the end - and well before Richard Jury eventually tumbled to it - and it wasn't very original or clever, either, despite all the attempts at befuzzlement and mystification.
This book and series, though purportedly set in the UK, is certainly not meant for anyone who knows anything about us!

Kensington Orbit Elite 2 Button Trackball
Kensington Orbit Elite 2 Button Trackball

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but was hoping for better, 6 Jan. 2006
I prefer trackballs, and had a Microsoft Trackball mouse for several years until it became too scratched to function properly. Bought this as a replacement. It's okay, but not great. There's no scroll facility that's easy to use, unlike the Microsoft (which is no longer available, or I would have just done a direct replacement) and you can't assign the buttons to anything except left and right click. It doesn't come with a software disc.
Also, each sweep of the trackball doesn't take you very far, whereas with the Microsoft I could navigate round the whole page without taking my finger off the ball.
Unfortunately there aren't alternatives.

Tools for Mystery Writers: Writing Suspense Using Hidden Personality Traits
Tools for Mystery Writers: Writing Suspense Using Hidden Personality Traits
by Anne Hart

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd book - not helpful at all for *this* mystery writer., 22 Jan. 2004
This is a very strange book. Although it presents itself as being a tool for mystery writers, it seems in fact to be a book about how to find a soul-mate. It's almost as if the phrase "for mystery writers" has been inserted at intervals into the heading and text of a book written for a completely different purpose.
The first few sections deal with self-marketing and publicising your mystery novel, but much of the time I found I had no clue what the writer was talking about - Goosehead?? (I have been using the internet and running web-sites since 1995, but I am not an American, so maybe that's part of the problem?)
The bulk of the book deals with domestic violence, how this impinges into the workplace and how to find the right spouse. I found the jargon used extremely offputting, and the majority of text is written around a particular personality test - the Myers-Briggs test. The whole thing reads like a psychology text book.
The content explicitly directed to mystery-writers is a 1 page Epilogue in a book of 483 pages. Most peculiar.
I did not find this book at all helpful - in fact it was a total waste of money for this mystery writer.