Profile for Pagan Ronnie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Peace & Noise
Peace & Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars SIGNIFICANTLY BRILLIANT !, 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: Peace & Noise (Audio CD)
BRILLIANTLY SIGNIFICANT !
Personally this is one of my very favourite Patti Smith masterpieces.
Though I simply could not choose between "Wave - Gone Again + Horses + Easter + Trampin' + Peace & Noise + Radio Ethiopia" they are all equally consitently BRILLIANT in their own partuicular and unique way and all comletely necessary for a true appreciation of the music by Patti Smith and her band.

'Peace & Noise' has some GREAT rocking tunes (waiting underground, 1959, don't say nothing, dead city) & some truly tender songs (spell, blue poles, last call) plus the COLOSSAL & ultimately superb 'momento mori' (10.34min) which absolutely defies categorisation!

So if you're a Patti fan or just vaguely like what music of hers you've already heard - you need this one for sure!

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown (Deluxe Edition)
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 4 Mar 2010
This is a superb re-mastering / re-packaging.
I usually avoid these 're-hashes' like the plague but am so glad I made an exception in the case of Arthur!
It's so nice just to be able to wack on this superb classic Psych/rock album and hear it as it was intended - without having to program the cd player every time to cut out all the pointless 'alternative-versions' etc!
In a flash of wisdom Cherry records have stuck all those (plus some actually worthwhile material - unlike the Polydor version) on abother disc, so if you wanna deviate & listen to them, you can when you actually want to!

The REMASTERED sound of the album proper is much MUCH better than the old 1991 Polydor version too and the packaging is also improved (a nice big fold-out poster six times bigger than just the front cover) with lots of nice colour pics of the picture-sleeve singles / concert posters from the time etc (the text is also big enough to read unlike so many cd inserts).

The Bonus disc is actually REALLY GOOD and I have listenned to it more than once already (in the first day of ownership) - a real rarity for me & the bonus discs of these 'deluxe' editions!!!

In short, just one thing needs saying really: "COME AND BUY, COME AND BUY, BUY BUY BUY"
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2010 3:39 PM BST

Beat About The Bush
Beat About The Bush

5.0 out of 5 stars Typically brilliant SOH, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: Beat About The Bush (Audio CD)
Love this album.
I'd compare this with their 'Lie of the Land' and 'Backlog' albums in style.
Superb musicianship. mostly acoustic and with the usual great lyrics that we have all come to expect from SOH!
If you're a fan of quality contemporary English folk, this is a must buy!

The Shadow Of An Empire
The Shadow Of An Empire
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars A Shadow of his former album, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Shadow Of An Empire (Audio CD)
Sorry Fionn.
I loved your first album (THE END OF HISTORY)- that is still probably one of my all time top ten albums.
This second album 'SHADOW OF AN EMPIRE' really is a poor 'SHADOW' of the first album though.
Dunno what it is exactly about 'empire' that I dislike so much, somehow it just dosen't quite 'work'.
Fionn, PLEASE do us all a favour - don't listen to them record company types: Unplug that guitar of yours and get back to your sublime, masterful acoustic roots man!

Swingin' With Raymond
Swingin' With Raymond
Offered by Music-Club

3.0 out of 5 stars 50% BRILLIANT, 21 Jan 2010
This review is from: Swingin' With Raymond (Audio CD)
CD2 is an excellent album! I'd probably rank it 4th after 'first 2' -'anarchy' & 'Tubthumper'. I saw Chumba LIVE at Brighton when this album came out and they were absolutely amazing! They played many of the tracks on this album, the Brighton Centre was PACKED full and it's gotta be one of the best gigs I've ever been to (& I've been to stacks). Favourites are all the tracks on cd 2 (didn't go much on cd 1) so even though it seemed a bit of a waste of plastic when i first played the album, it's actually quite handy having the two discs 'cos i never play the first one, the second one is SO GOOD!

Arrogance Ignorance and Greed
Arrogance Ignorance and Greed

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOCK DOCTRINE, 18 Jan 2010
I left this on repeat about six times when I first got it - it is that good!

To quantify my opinion: My top 3 favourite Show Of Hands albums (I have all of them) are: 'WITNESS, COUNTRY LIFE' and now this one!

Interestingly, I have just got the DVD 'SHOCK DOCTRINE' (directed by Matt Whitecross) and was immediately struck by the uncannily SIMILLAR cover, artwork/design. I mean they are both double gatefold card and EXACTLY the same colour background, red stencilled title graphics. black characters etc!
Along with the subject matter of the film and the lyrics of 'ARROGANCE, IGNORANCE & GREED' and them both having the same year of release (2009) - can this all be coincidence? Or did one inspire the other & if so which way round I wonder?
Whatever the scenario, if any, they really do make EXCELLENT companions!

7-Tease + Slow Down World
7-Tease + Slow Down World
Offered by Japan-Select

1.0 out of 5 stars Two of Dono's worst albums, 2 Jan 2010
I was so disapointed with this cd.
The only saving grace is that both rubbish albums are on one disc and so saves needlessly wasting plastic!
Hard to put my finger on exactly why it's no good, it just somehow lacks the originality and charactristic Donovan magic of most of his other albums. This cd seems flat, weak and leaves me unfulfilled.
I'd only go for this cd if you are a real die-hard fan or if you can find it really cheap, but even then I really wouldn't bother! (and I usually love Donovan's music).

Hold Back The Night [DVD] [1999]
Hold Back The Night [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Christine Tremarco
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my TOP FIVE films of all time!, 2 Jan 2010
A truly brilliant film!
I caught this purely on the off chance on tv one night ages ago and it left such an impression on me that I had to track it down as soon as I discovered Amazon marketplace!
It is understated from the outset but quickly gets under your skin.
A 'road movie' in a very 'English' sense, the vehicle being a VW microbus rather than some yankee gas guzzler and the road is in the Scottish Highlands rather than route 66!
Brilliant performances from all the three main characters. Most of all from Sheila Hancock who plays the elderly 'lonely old dyke' (Vera) on a final trip to the Stone Circle of the Ring Of Brodgar on the Scottish Island of Orkney before she dies of cancer. In a bid to once again feel close to the long lost love of her life, who had come from there and often told her about it.
The other two characters are the young, abused, bitter, mouthy, teenage runaway Charleen & gorgeous, grungy, dreadlocked, Donga type road protester Deklan: who 'bump' into each other in a pub and end up 'getting-it-together' back at his bender on the protest camp and have to do a runner when the pigs do a dawn raid on the camp and Charlene smacks a security guard' (who's beating up Deklan) over the head with his Didgeridoo. It's as they leg it from the old bill that they run into Vera and get away in her VW. From this point on the film gradually opens up it depth untill you find yourself really caring about all three characters in equal amounts! It is truly brilliant in every way. Funny, heart stopping, heart melting and tear jerking monents along with one very nice moment when Deklan gets his kit off to go skinny dipping in a river (a DVD player with a good zoom facility is a definite bonus here!) NO BUT SERIOUSLY - this is just a 'very nice' added bonus to what is otherwise a spectacularly EXCELLENT FILM - I simply can't rate it high enough!

Revengers Tragedy
Revengers Tragedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet Another Triumphant Variation for the Chumba's !, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Revengers Tragedy (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic first film soundtrack from Chumbawamba.
Having also seen the film (which is totally brilliant, even though it's far from my usual 'film fodder' being very like a Shakespeare play but actually written by Jocobean playwright Thomas Middleton in 1607 it is full of that 'period dialogue' typical of Shakespeare plays).
This atmospheric soundtrack effortlessly re-fills your head with the striking imagery from the film.
An undelying recurring rhythm keeps you tied into the pace of the film but is also interspersed with a meorable soundbites and quotes from the play all successfully tied together with musical mastery one now expects from the Chumba'a.
I enjoy listenning to this CD when I have something important to write or concentrate on and need something to 'pace' my subconscious & to screen out any background distraction noise - this album is perfect for that.
The final track 'don't try this at home' is like a gentle wake up call, reminding me to hit 'play' again if I've not already left it on 'repeat'!
The film is filed on my DVD shelf between Derek Jarman's 'JUBILEE' & Mike Figgis's 'HOTEL' - both of divergently simillar ilk.

Kaleidoscope
Kaleidoscope

5.0 out of 5 stars Spacey Sioux, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: Kaleidoscope (Audio CD)
Along with 'Join Hands' this is my favourite of the Banshees' albums.
It's 'spacey' - 'sparse' & 'haunting' & as such is one for those quieter, slightly dark contemplative moments that we all should cherish.
Most notably of all it is by far the most 'individual' & 'different' of their albums from the rest of their reportoire. I've owned all their CD's at one time or another but I think it speaks volumes that the two I am left with, that I simply cannot bear to part with is 'Join Hands' & 'Kaleidoscope'.
So if you're going for the whole collection, or just want the very basics, either way you NEED this album!
It's BRILLIANT!