Profile for Gordon > Reviews

Content by Gordon

Gordon

The Ring of Bright Water Trilogy: Ring of Bright Water, The Rocks Remain, Raven Seek Thy Brother

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 17 Jun. 2014
Re reading this story for first time since childhood. It still evokes the spirit of the countryside and the nature of the otters. Very happy and sad story

Rogue Trooper #1: Crucible
Rogue Trooper #1: Crucible

3.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, 17 Jun. 2014
Tense story full of the battle field exploits you expect from the rogue trooper. Good to see the ladies are included in the genetic troopers.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 3 Dec. 2013
I wasn't sure that I would like this book, but soon lost myself in the story. I can't wait to get to the next book

After Earth
After Earth

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Kindle Edition)
Disappointing. Not very believable. Probably works ok as a film where you don't have to think about the actual story

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Dec. 2013
As usual Terry Pratchett shines a light on the world via the prism of the discworld. Didn't want to put it down, but didn't want to get to the end

The Hereafter
The Hereafter

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, insightful and entertaining, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Hereafter (Kindle Edition)
This is a nicely written story with some well articulated ideas.

I liked it because the writer does not get bogged down with descriptions unless they are essential to the story or the mood. Character descriptions and location descriptions are kept to a minimum trusting the reader to fill in the gaps. There's still some interesting locations such as modern mansion covered in gargoyles and a meeting in a dusty factory with lots of mannequins, a party in a fun house and house full of clocks - enough to make scenes memorable and vivid.

After a prologue that introduces you to the main concept very efficiently, we meet each of the main characters one chapter at a time and each one introduces a different aspect of the changes in the world that took place between now and the start of the story. Each chapter invites you deeper into the story going forward as well.

The characters are strong and believable and where as they start off unrelated slowly weave together with the story. There are strong male characters and a strong female as well. Also a young girl who is quite intriguing right up until the end. The chemistry between the characters works well and carries the story well, and I felt that I bonded with each of them more and more as their stories became involved and they bonded with each other. I felt that I was a part of the group.

Something happens about a third of the way through that really changes gear and we race forwards. The story presents certain difficulties that need to be solved with no clear right or wrong but action needs to be taken. This keeps you reading and keeps you interested. There are lot of ideas about life and death and religion which is good dressing and adds a lot of depth and often left me thinking between reads too.

I wouldn't say the book was impossible to put down, it is not really that kind of book. I was disappointed when it ended though as I was enjoying it. The ending itself is by no means disappointing though and it wraps things up nicely. It is emotional as it does not work out right for all the characters. I also sat there for a few minutes afterwards, just taking it in. I think parts of it will stay with me for a while.

Plug In Spider Repeller Deterrent - whole house
Plug In Spider Repeller Deterrent - whole house
Offered by Primrose

2.0 out of 5 stars spider scarer????, 18 Sept. 2011
Purchased 2 scarers for my house and for my garage. The scarer in my garage is 6 inches from a large spider and has so far not phased it at all, no evidence that there are fewer spiders in the garage. The scarer in my home just seems to be attracting them, huge hairy spiders that run like Lindford Christie. The scarers have been plugged in for a month continuously and I will now be returning them in favour of a spider catcher.