Profile for Talia > Reviews

Content by Talia

Talia (London, UK)

Black Hill Farm (Book One)
Black Hill Farm (Book One)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what the fuss is about, 24 Feb 2012
I'm a big horror and thriller fan and downloaded this book on the strength of the reviews here. And at 72p I thought it was worth a punt.
The plot is thin and chock full of cliches and standard murder investigation fare. Not even the ending can completely save it, although it was enough for me to spend another 72p on the sequel, just to see if anything interesting happens.
The main problem of this novel is the writing. Despite the fact it's written as a series of transcribed interviews, the dialogue is unnatural and really does not flow how a 16 year old boy would talk. The descriptions are at times long and lengthy and filled with language that is reserved for fiction narratives, thereby pulling you out of the diegesis of the novel's world and indicating that the author is writing for effect, not for accuracy or character.

Also, I cannot believe how many spelling mistakes are in this book! Everytime the author wants to say "breathe" he misses off the "e" and writes "breath". There are other instances of errors and it's really frustrating everytime you come across one as it again draws attention to the writing and pulls you out of the novel.

Overall, a so-so thriller, but only if you don't want to spend loads of money.

Go
Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Go (Audio CD)
This album fills me with pure joy. I cannot listen to it without a smile on my face, a spring in my step and a warmth in my heart.
Jonsi's voice, singing mostly in English this time, is so achingly ethereal and beautiful it fills every track with an otherworldy feel and leaves you feeling like you've experienced something deeply profound.
If you love Sigur Ros you won't go wrong with this album. It's just as uplifting and gorgeous. Jonsi is clearly a musical genius.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by NetsavesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Fluff Proving Ford Still Has it, 29 Oct 2008
I can totally understand why so many found this film hard to swallow. In some ways maybe Indi should have been left well alone - the original trilogy was a classic package. It was loved. It had a great upbeat and befitting conclusion. So why did Spielberg and Co feel the need to do another instalment and possibly ruin the legacy of the trilogy?

Well firstly, if we put the entire issue of making money to one side, Indi is one of the best movie characters of all time and seeing him on the big screen is always a joy. Donning the hat, Harrison Ford hasn't lost any of that sparkle, wit or charisma despite a patchy career since Last Crusade. The issue of Indi aging is handled really well with appropriate digs at growing old and his not being nimble as he used to be. And the revelation that Ford did all his own stunts really impresses. He may be old but he certainly isn't past it.

Secondly, the first three movies are there to entertain and Crystal Skull is no exception. It is just one big pile of out and out fun. Yeah, there are specific scenes that are quite embarrassing to watch (the monkeys bit had me cringing behind my hands), and the origin of the crystal skulls and the ending in general is a bit daft, but when it ended it left nothing but a big smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart. There are various little niggles I could go on to detail but I think that would be being pedantic and only detracts from the overall experience of the movie as enjoyable blockbuster entertainment.

Also Shia Labeouf is a wonderful addition as Mutt (I loved his whole storyline and his chemistry with Indi). I'm secretly hoping he does go off and have his own adventures. I would be quite happy with that.

Pentax Optio A20 Digital Camera (10.0MP, 3 x Optical, 2.5" LCD, Face Recognition Function )

4.0 out of 5 stars Pentax Optio A20, 28 July 2008
I am really pleased with this little camera. Before this I had a crappy and cheap Vivitar 4MP plastic brick, and now I have what I judge to be a much better quality (and sleeker!) model for a fraction of the price of other 10MP cameras.

The picture quality is excellent if all you want is a point and shoot camera. I recently went on holiday to Canada and was overjoyed with the pictures I have had developed since coming back. The colours are vibrant and the image pin-point sharp. The digital zoom is brilliant, meaning that I have managed to capture images I never would have been able to on my old camera.

The only problem I have found is that it does tend to be quite grainy in nighttime conditions, and frankly the "Night mode" is a complete waste of time - it only succeeds in giving your pictures a scary yellow glow with multiple exposures. This was a big disappointment for me because I wanted a camera that I could take to gigs and concerts and take good quality pictures, and unfortunately that wasn't what I got. But that is the only complaint I have.

So excellent for everyday holiday pictures, not great for night shooting, so four out of five.

Cell
Cell
by Stephen King

3.0 out of 5 stars Not His Best, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: Cell (Paperback)
For the first 50 pages or so I sat riveted and slack jawed at the power and horror of this book.

Then things took a turn for the worst.

Not King's best book by a long shot but it's still a mostly enjoyable read. The only major gripe I have with it is that the third act builds the tension up and up and up, but the amazing conclusion never comes, leaving you feeling frustrated and cheated.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Matt Holness

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius! Buy It Now!, 25 Oct 2006
Sadly I missed Garth Marenghi's Dark Place when it was shown on telly, but so many people told me I had to watch that I dutifully bought it on DVD. And I wasn't disappointed.

Absolutely hilarious and so well done, it feels completely genuine.

If you're a fan of off-the-wall comedies like Nathan Barley, Mighty Boosh, and The League of Gentlemen, then you'll love this!

The Haunting of Hill House
The Haunting of Hill House
by Shirley Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 15 Mar 2005
I bought this book with great excitement as I love a good ghostly tale, but after reading it, I felt a little disappointed.
Shirley Jackson does paint some amazing characters throughout the book, espcecially that of Eleanor. Each character feels real and alive, and their actions and reactions true to life in the time it was written. The house itself is a brooding, dark character, so wonderfully written that you believe it is a real place, and it lives on in your memory.
The spooky goings on are well written and really are spine-tingling and exciting. But there simply aren't enough of them. Just as you think the book is really building pace, and leading up to some amazing and horrifying event, the book ends. Fair enough, it ends well, but I was left expecting something more.
The Haunting of Hill House could have done with being an extra 50-100 pages long, but it is an enjoyable read.

Etre Et Avoir [DVD] [2002]
Etre Et Avoir [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Georges Lopez
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley absorbing!, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Etre Et Avoir [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This film was recommended to me as "balmy" but utterly captivating. Not quite knowing what to make of this review of it, I watched the film with a little trepidation. But after the first 10 minutes I completely became enthralled by the children in the small school, their individual characters so effectively painted by the director in such a short space of time. The scenes in which the problem children such as Jojo and Olivier have one to ones with the teacher, Mr Lopez, demonstrate such compassion on the part of the teacher and the director, and show what an amazing teacher Mr Lopez really is. Watching him with this small group of youngsters was so inspiring and made me feel genuinely sad that I did not have a teacher like that when I was young. I was quite sad when the film ended.
Watch this film and be inspired. You will be grinning from ear to ear!!

Waiting Rooms
Waiting Rooms

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 9 Jun 2003
This review is from: Waiting Rooms (Audio CD)
i had the great opportunity to see this guy live many years ago when this cd was first released, in a converted oast house which contained our local music club. what i was used to seeing was some sixteen year old kids with guitars that they couldn't play shouting into a microphone, then this one night a man called simon warner walked into the room and sang many of these wonderful songs that appear on this album. it was beautiful and amazing. now when i listen to this cd i get those goosebumps all over again and drift away to that time i saw this guy play to a load of uninitiated seventeen year olds in that oast house. absolutely magical!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2009 6:34 PM GMT