Profile for Bex > Reviews

Content by Bex

Bex (West Lothian, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment - Al Pacino is awesome, 9 Jun. 2006
I watched The Devils Advocate with slightly low expectations, having read several mediocre, 2 star ish reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised - it kept me watching all the way to the end (and im notorious for stopping a movie half way in and continuing the next night) and never once felt boring or slow.

The acting is good- Al Pacino, my favorite actor is just great as usual and even Keanu Reeves is good, although his 'southern'accent is just wrong.

OK, its not entirely believable, but what movie about satan is. The sets and effects are also great and there is just enough horror to keep you on your toes.

The end is a bit of a shock though

All in all I highly recommend this movie to everyone. I think this will stand up to repeat viewings in the future well too

Shock! Horror!: Astounding Artwork from the Video Nasty Era
Shock! Horror!: Astounding Artwork from the Video Nasty Era
by Marc Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 3 May 2006
When I bought this book, I had never seen it before. I had received the excellent Ten Years of Terror from Fab Press before so I had really high expectations!

I must say when I first seen it, I was a little dissapointed - it seemed quite small, and the paper isnt quite glossy enough!

However once you start to read the book, you realise just how much effort the authors have put into researching and bringing you the most complete pictorial reference of 70s and 80s exploitation movies ever written. I am a real horror and cult movie fan, but at only 18, I have never seen most of these films and the idea that some of the rarer titles are selling for hundreds of pounds is very interesting.

The book also has the most complete listings of the DPP 39 ive ever seen and all the other movies picked up and dropped along the way.
The reviews section is informative, but as the book itself says, dont go looking for plot analysis here. It does however give brief descriptions, interesting trivia and DVD availability in the UK and the US and Europe which is helpful.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the video nasties that type of movies, and to anyone who wants to complete their collection of such movies, this is the definitive guide. I've certainly made an effort to track down some of these movies since i read the book, and although some appear to have vanished off the face of the earth, many are now released- Vipco have a large horror collection on DVD, most of which are pretty cheap.

Natural Born Killers - Director's Cut [DVD] [1995]
Natural Born Killers - Director's Cut [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this Movie! See it now!, 2 May 2006
I wanted to see Natural Born Killers for ages, but as it wasnt available in the UK, I couldnt buy it ( I only had a r2 dvd player at the time and PAL video). First seen it on Channel 5 and after that, I couldnt wait for it to be released.

Natural Born Killers is a totally unique movie. The idea behind the theme is very interesting and I think Oliver Stone handles the material well, the script and the acting are good, and you end up rooting for Mickey and Mallory even though they are murderers. The supporting cast - Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Downey Jr are also great, but this is Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis's movie.

There is a lot of violence in the movie that many people wont like, but despite this, it is an intelligent and satirical movie that will certainly go down in history - you gotta see it to understand its one of I kind. The editing, which obviously Stone took a lot of time over is one thing that takes a bit of getting used to - changing from normal to green to black n white every 10 mins or so, but this just adds to the feel of the film and I think it works well.

So, I highly recommend this film. I bought the UK boxset when it came out, although there is an excellent directors cut which has loads of fab extras - including some infamous deleted scenes.

The Exorcist [DVD] [1973]
The Exorcist [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie....see it (its not scary), 21 Mar. 2006
This review is from: The Exorcist [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
I love The Exorcist, its such a classic movie and it stands up to repeat viewings. This DVD is great - full of interesting extras, the fear of god doc which is also on the vhs edition, is really good.
I first seen the movie when i was 13, ive always been into horror movies. But even then it didnt scare me, im not saying thats a bad thing, as ive already said i love it. Basically, I dont see how anyone could not like this movie.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3