Profile for Bex > Reviews

Content by Bex

Bex (West Lothian, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Skydivin'
Skydivin'

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!, 24 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Skydivin' (Audio CD)
I bought Darren Styles the week it came out - and wasn't dissapointed. Not only is it a 2disc album so at only £8.99 a bargain, but 99% of the tracks are great.

The commercial CD has all Styles greastest hits, including those with Ultrabeat, Styles and Breeze etc and any fan of dance music will probably know every one of them. The hardcore CD, personally my favorite, has some top tunes - Come Running, Slide Away and Skydivin are the best, brilliant tunes! Theres also some bassline tracks and another mix of Save Me.

All in all, I would recommend this album to every Darren Styles fan, and anyone who enjoys the Clubland series etc.

Last House On The Left (2 Disc Special Edition) [1972] [DVD]
Last House On The Left (2 Disc Special Edition) [1972] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Cassel
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Cult classic...not scary, still essential, 30 Jan. 2008
Being a big horror/cult film fan, I was really looking forward to seeing this film - yes, that meant waiting until the cut DVD was released here in UK rather than buying abroad as Im not sure if my DVD player plays region1!

I was slightly dissapointed, only because of the massive controversy the film has received in the past leads you to believe its far worse than it really is...ok, so its not easy to watch, but there are many films these days with just as many, if not more explicitly gory scenes. As for the cut bits ( one of the girls intestines being pulled out and krug carving his name into the other ones chest) - you can find them on the internet. I agree with most people - there really is no reason to cut them. The BBFC should just get over it and release the film uncut.

The film does look a bit dated and amateur, but I have watched it more than once and it holds its value - i think its a film that anyone who calls themselves a film buff has to see at least once.

I'd give the film itself 3 stars, but the many extras included up it to 4 - the documentary has all the main stars (although notably,not the 2 female victims) and wes craven and sean cunningham looking back on the film and their experiences its very interesting watch.

R&B Collaborations
R&B Collaborations
Offered by Bridge_Records

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best R & B CDs out there, 25 Jan. 2008
This review is from: R&B Collaborations (Audio CD)
Now I'm not normally big on buying r&b CDs, much more of a dance girl.

But after hearing this at a friends party I went straight out and ordered it - there are so many good tracks on it, most of them classics. And extra points by throwing in some old skool stuff which is always great - No Diggity, California Love and Ghetto Gospel stand outs!

Most people will have heard the majority of the tracks as they are pretty commercial chart toppers such as Umbrella, Where is the Love, Hips Dont Lie and Promiscuous. But they're all good ones!

Overall the quality is high and u won't be able to turn it off! I've had it playing in my car since new year.

Box Of The Banned [DVD]
Box Of The Banned [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeramie Rain
Offered by alentertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been better, 10 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Box Of The Banned [DVD] (DVD)
I was very excited when I discovered box of the banned for only £9.99 - I had wanted to see most of the films for ages, mainly just to see if they were as horrific as I'd read so many times.

To be honest they're not. Zombie Flesh Eaters and The Evil Dead may be violent but in no way realistic, although Evil Dead is a great piece of entertainment. I Spit on Your Grave is pretty sick, but its not a very good film. Not one to watch again in a hurry. I had higher expectations of Nightmares in a Damaged Brain, but it was so dissapointing and not half as disturbing as made out! And as for Driller Killer I started watching several times and have not yet made it to the end!

The best film on here is Last House on the Left, and I already own that on double disc when it first came out here. As many people have already said, I agree that it should be uncut. You can see the cut footage on the internet and if you can watch it as it is you can handle the missing bits. The extras on the 2 disc release are really good so if this is the one you want to see just buy that.

The documentary is interesting if you are into the history of censorship and the video nasty debate.

Overall not a bad package, especially for completists. But would have been better if they had put in some superior (in my opinion) 'nasties' such as Cannibal Holocaust and Maniac. And uncut versions of all the films of course! (I Spit on your Grave is still heavily cut and NIADB is i believe a pre-cut version)

Titanic (4 Disc Deluxe Collector's Edition) [1997] [DVD]
Titanic (4 Disc Deluxe Collector's Edition) [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Winslet
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have if you love this film, 19 Feb. 2007
I think Titanic is the best film ever made, the only film to ever make me cry even when I've seen it several times already. If you dont really enjoy the film I dont need to say that you dont need this edition, but if you love it like me, I think you have to own it.

There are plenty of extras, perhaps some new documentaries would have been good, but of what there is; the deleted scenes add some new dimension to parts of the film. A few I understand were a bit dull and uneccesary, but there are a handful I felt deserved the final cut. The alternate ending is also interesting, and comes with a commentary by James Cameron, the commentaries provide a great insight to the making of the film - and nobody could deny that this must have been one hell of a film to make.

The one thing that annoyed me was the disc change half way through the film. Why?? is it really necessary, I mean its not as if no more would fit on the dvd, as they spread the extras through the discs.

Definately one for your collection if you're a big fan. It is beautifully packaged and miles better than the single disc version out there

Gladiator (3 Disc Extended Special Edition) [DVD]
Gladiator (3 Disc Extended Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - shouldve seen this a long time ago!, 19 Feb. 2007
I loved this film, and as a bit of a film buff cant believe I was never bothered about seeing it before.

It is constantly interesting, and the battle scenes will have u sitting on the edge of ur seat. The colosium looks stunning, and Ridley Scotts direction is perfect. Joaquin Phoenix is great as the evil emporer, and some of the lines between commodus and maximus are just brilliant ('smile for me now brother...')

I think this is a film that deserves several viewings, and u will never tire of it - so this 3 disc edition is perfect! everyone should see this film, it will have you close to tears by the end

This Life +10 [2007] [DVD]
This Life +10 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Davenport

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but how can u beat the original series?, 18 Feb. 2007
This review is from: This Life +10 [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I first seen This Life when bbc2 re ran the series last year, as I was only about 8 when it was first on. my mum told me it was good, so I decided to watch it - and I was really impressed, its probably one of the best series to ever come out of the bbc, and makes you really nostalgic for that mid 90s, britpop time!

So I was really excited when I heard about this life + 10 - i wished there had been more series originally!

It was really interesting to see how the characters looked and had changed in that time (i found myself comparing who looked most similar!) but it was quite frustrating as it didnt really tie up all the ends I wanted (miles and anna - what a dissapointment), and although it was funny, it just wasnt as good as the originals and didnt show us how the other characters had changed .

However, I think they could bring it back again - and I will certainly still be watching.

Clubland 10
Clubland 10
Offered by rdowns33

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt turn it off!, 31 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Clubland 10 (Audio CD)
I got Clubland 10 for christmas and its barely been off my cd player - well mainly cd1 i think its tracks are better.

most people will be familiar with a lot of the tracks and all the latest club favorites are there - love dont let me go, truly madly deeply, rock this party etc. theres also a few older tracks included which are different mixes to what i own already - cafe del mar, touch me and all around the world.

the only track i would avoid is the girls aloud something kinda ooh mix, the original is far better.

the bonus live cd isnt bad, but compared to the ones with clubland 8 and 4 its not the best.

If you like clubland you gotta get this cd!

Ten Years of Terror: British Films of the 1970s
Ten Years of Terror: British Films of the 1970s
by Harvey Fenton

5.0 out of 5 stars The best movie book ever!, 24 Sept. 2006
I read a review for this book but could never see it in the shops, but my mum ordered it for me and I was very impressed.

It covers every British horror movie in the 70s - many in great detail and while a large number of the movies are rare and perhaps only of interest to die hard fans, there are also lots of movies to keep the average reader entertained (The Omen, Alien, Straw Dogs, Dont Look Now, The Wicker Man, The Devils etc.)

The whole package is beautiful, the glossy paper, the many full page pictures and the level of research that has gone into it.

I often go back to it for reference, altough some of the films I decided I wanted to see are unavailable in the UK!

Other Fab press titles I have bought since never quite live up to this so can be somewhat dissapointing.

So basically I recommend this book very highly, but I think it will only interest those who enjoy horror movies and their history.

Deliverance [1972] [DVD]
Deliverance [1972] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Voight
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as shocking as i expected...but still classic, 11 July 2006
This review is from: Deliverance [1972] [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Deliverance for many reasons - the acting is great, the scenery is breathtaking and it keeps you on your toes throughout.

All 4 of the main actors, are brilliant. I especially loved Bur Reynolds as Lewis in this movie, although Jon Voight does a really good job of portraying Ed, the reluctant hero of the piece.

Don't get me wrong, the rape scene isnt easy to watch, but on the whole i didnt find Deliverance overly shocking or violent compared to a lot of movies ive seen, although i can watch anything! there are scenes which may shock some people, but dont let this put you off - this film is simply stunning, and one of a kind.

I think what makes it some memorable and disturbing is that it so easily could be real - the characters are believable and the mountain men are pretty creepy- i mean id be so scared if i met them in the forest, so you are able to identify with the men and understand their choices.

Recommended (i bought the R2 DVD though and its got absolutely no extras - they need a special edition out!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3