Profile for D. Wilson > Reviews

Content by D. Wilson

D. Wilson (UK, NW.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
DrizzleDuck 60" Automatic Open Windproof Vented Golf-Sized Umbrella with Carry Strap
Offered by TheSnugg

2.0 out of 5 stars Not prefect, 28 May 2015
The first thing I noticed was the carbon fibre shaft – excellent! I consider a couple of things to be negative however; 1) The material making up the openings in the canopy has a large overlap and the material is stretched very tightly. This means that it won’t open to let gusts of air pass in or out which to me negates the point of a wind-proof brolly. Others I’ve seen allow some slack on these flaps so that they lift readily. 2) The slider part of the mechanism fits snugly into the base where it locks – a single button press releases it and unfurls the brolly. These parts have a single spline which mean that it’ll only go in when rotated correctly – a couple of degrees out and it won’t go. I don’t think that the handle is meant to turn but mine did meaning that I had to force it back in order to get the parts to mate up correctly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2015 9:11 AM BST

Hull Zero Three
Hull Zero Three
by Greg Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but found it quite difficult initially, 11 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Hull Zero Three (Paperback)
I have to admit that when I was a few pages in I wondered what Greg Bear had been taking.
However I stuck with it and as the story unwrapped it got easier to read and started making more sense - but I guess the "starting to make sense" part is intentional.

The book starts with the story teller arriving in a strange environment and coming to terms with what's happening and who he is and working through this environment learning and meeting other characters as he goes.

Quite thought provoking and it needs a big imagination to be able to slot everything in place.
I'd recommend this to another SF / Bear fan but not to anyone new in the SF genre.

100 DURACELL AA PROCELL ALKALINE PLUS BATTERIES.
100 DURACELL AA PROCELL ALKALINE PLUS BATTERIES.
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries, last for ages, 27 July 2011
I use these in my Canon top-end flash guns and in their external power supply. They last for a long time and the price is pretty good.

Consider Phlebas: A Culture Novel (The Culture)
Consider Phlebas: A Culture Novel (The Culture)
by Iain M. Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, couldn't put it down., 27 July 2011
Huge areas, vast starships, intelligent machines, I couldn't put this book down.
Very descriptive letting your imagination paint the picture. Gripping story with the action building to the end.
Easily one of my favourite books - I've just finished my third read!

The Wedding Photographer's Planner
The Wedding Photographer's Planner
by Kenny Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice, very Americanised, 3 Nov. 2010
This book does contain some good advice which I picked up on. Some great pictures too which are good examples. Some checklist detail is quite simplistic and obvious, but then again it's easy to forget the obvious. But other detail is quite essential.

It is quite highly Americanised (see what I did with the 's'? :) which means that the links to suppliers provided are of course in the US and some of the cultural or order of weddings might seem a little out of place to other people, even of the same religion.

I'd recommend it to upcoming wedding photographers but perhaps it's not aimed at seasoned wedding photographers.

Verbatim 43643 16x DVD-R Lightscribe 4.7 GB (Spindle Pack of 10)
Verbatim 43643 16x DVD-R Lightscribe 4.7 GB (Spindle Pack of 10)
Offered by Espace-Disque

1.0 out of 5 stars These MUST be faulty?, 31 Oct. 2010
I bought these Lightscribe DVD's and I'm very disappointed. Compared to some other CD Lightscribe media (which is PIN SHARP), these produce very blurry designs. I'm contacting the supplier to find out if there's an issue.

Zima Blue and Other Stories
Zima Blue and Other Stories
by Alastair Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 26 Sept. 2010
It's a great collection. The actual Zima Blue story is excellent and thought provoking, well worth the book on its own.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0, Full Version (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0, Full Version (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars I think Lightroom 2 is wonderful, 15 Sept. 2008
I'm sure I agree with some of the comments already posted on this product, such as relocation of some of the tools (which is annoying for the first 30 mins unti you get used to it), but the improvements are well worth the upgrade. I didn't notice some of the missing features of earlier versions so I'm not sure I'd used them that much - you may or may not yourself.

It can be a little clunky if your PC spec is a tad on the low side, and getting used to the new features such as graduated filter can take just a little getting used to.

After v2 I'm not going back to v1.x, its great :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2009 12:46 PM GMT

USB Desk Fan
USB Desk Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not impressive either. A good toy though., 7 Aug. 2008
This review is from: USB Desk Fan (Toy)
Not very powerful but does create a little breeze.
I found the goose-neck wasn't really strong enough to have the fan sitting at a great angle. Also the light in the tip broke for some reason.

I also feel like a bit of an idiot sitting with it in front of my face - my work coleagues found it ... amusing. However I DID have a small breeze on my face in hot weather so perhaps thats not a bad thing.

Singularity Sky
Singularity Sky
by Charles Stross

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange mix, an enjoyable read, 7 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Singularity Sky (Paperback)
Some of the best action I've read is in this book. Unfortunately the whole book wasn't saturdated with it, I could have read it for days non-stop if it was!

Some VERY imaginitive writing in here. To be honest, bordering on strange. I found the first section to be quite boring and mundane as the characters and scenes were set. But the last section was amazing, worth the read just for that.

Great ideas, some slow some fast pace, and some humour throughout the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3