Profile for B. Strawbridge > Reviews

Bugs Britannica
Bugs Britannica
by Peter Marren

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photos, but contains misinformation, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Bugs Britannica (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book, full of stunning photographs, but having paid the full price for it I was hugely disappointed to find it contains misinformation about bees…..which means I can't trust the rest! Honeybees are not our most important pollinators and Cuckoo bumblebees do not attack true bumblebee nests to steal their honey. (They attack/kill the host queen and start laying their own eggs, which are then reared by the existing worker bumblebees). I couldn't help feeling that the research was not as good as it perhaps should have been for a book like this...

Find Your Power: A Toolkit for Resilience and Positive Change
Find Your Power: A Toolkit for Resilience and Positive Change
by Chris Johnstone

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 15 May 2010
This book is wonderful. I especially love chapter 11, which I read at a time when I was feeling quite negative about the myriad climate change related issues facing us these days. After reading 'Find Your Power' I felt a lot more positive and empowered...and have learned to see how a crisis really can be transformed into a turning point, not only for individuals, but for whole communities and perhaps the entire human race.

Chris Johnstone has drawn from his experience as an addictions specialist, his work over more than two decades with deep ecologist Joanna Macy, his work in the field of positive psychology and his background in campaigning and activism. The tools contained within this book really did help me find the power within to face the challenging times ahead with renewed positivity, optimism and strength....and it has now taken up permanent residence on my bedside table.