Profile for B. Downs > Reviews

B. Downs

Anonymous
Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars I hated it. At first., 11 July 2007
This review is from: Anonymous (Audio CD)
Well, I thought I probably wouldn't like this album. An album of arrangements inspired by Native American songs from the late 19th century? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...

And then I listened to it. And it seemed it WAS the disaster I had anticipated. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I knew I probably wouldn't like it.

But then I gave it another listen - just in case. First I was caught by the haunting and menacing "Omaha Dance", then the power of "Sun Dance". I had been subtly hooked...before you knew it, I realised I actually liked this album. Then I started to love it.

I'm going over old ground here, but don't expect much in the way of previous Tomahawk outings - although the Tomahawk "sound" IS there, it just crops up from time to time, then it's gone as soon as you've realised.

I don't understand the Fantomas or Faith No More references. The guy in the shop I bought it at told me it sounded like Mr. Bungle. Nope, it doesn't really sound like Bungle either.

If you've got an open mind and are prepared to keep it open for 2 or 3 listens, you may well grow to love this album. If you know what you like, and like what you know, then I would save your money for something more conventional.