Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Danny California > Reviews

Content by Danny California

Danny California

Bubba Ho-Tep [2002] [DVD]
Bubba Ho-Tep [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Campbell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars What a commentary, 26 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Bubba Ho-Tep [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
The film itself is reviewed elsewhere, far more eloquently that I can manage in the three minutes I have. Do yourself a favour, watch the film, then watch it with the commentary on, the one done by 'Elvis' - it is without doubt (in my opinion) THE best commentary put to DVD in the history of history, and worth the price of the film on its own.

Amazon Women on the Moon [DVD]
Amazon Women on the Moon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rosanna Arquette
Offered by Satsumo

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose tinted glasses or a stone cold classic?, 14 Sept. 2010
What a movie, I mean WHAT A MOVIE! I first experienced 'Amazon Women on the Moon' around 1991/1992 on a beat up, faded and worn VHS copy, whilst I was at college. A friend of mine, Richard, introduced me to it, and within weeks it had lept to the status of cult classic among our group of friends.

This movie, combined with a movie called 'Condor' made up for about 40% of all our exchanged dialogue. From AWotM phrases like 'When I get to the moon, I'm gonna get me a big hunk of that green cheese', the 'Mary Brown' skit, and so many other bits were an absolute goldmine.

It was with a little fear and trepidation that when I found it on Amazon, I hit the add to basket button. Was it going to live up to my beer clouded memories of 2am post pub/club viewings? Had we, by lifting ip up onto a pedestal elevated it far beyond its true value?

The answer, actually turned out to be a fairly complicated one. In the right surroundings, and with an open mind and attitude, this works very well indeed - maybe not so much on the first viewing, but after two or three turns at the oche, you begin to see a little past the visual gags and the slapstick, and appreciate the writing.

So was it as good as I remember it to be? Not quite. But then, I suspect that I'm not quite the person I was in '91 either.

That'll do pig. That'll do.

Se7en
Se7en

5.0 out of 5 stars A correction!, 9 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Se7en (Audio CD)
Excelent soundtrack, to an amazing film - however - just to correct the Amazon write up above - 'Closer' is by Nine Inch Nails, and is taken from the Downward Spiral album (an absolute classic) - and not, I repeat NOT 'Coil'.

Nuff said

Tyson: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
Tyson: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Toback
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyson - Just a man after all, 30 April 2009
Tyson has been labled many things over the years, 'Animal', 'Thug', 'Rapist' being just a few. The problem with lables, is that they tend to be oversimplified, and are often deliberate headline grabbing soundbites. As a previous review pointed out - take what you think you know about the man, and bin it. The thing here - all lables aside, is that it seems he is just a man after all, with all the foibles and imperfections that go along with that (I'm not downplaying the seriousness of some of the things that he did here - merely observing that in the same way that Kevin Spacy did not turn out to be Lucifer himself in Se7en, Mike Tyson deserves to be recognised as a human being, and not just objectified as a poster boy for society's ills). The moment that stood out for me, was after having lost to Lennox, and whilst Lennox is being interviewed by TV reporters, Mike leans in, and gently wipes some blood from the side of Lennox's face - a genuine jaw dropping moment of cinematic beauty. A stunning film, and well worth a look, for boxing and non boxing fans alike.

5Th Gear
5Th Gear

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 30 April 2009
This review is from: 5Th Gear (Audio CD)
The first track I ever heard of Brad's was 'Ticks' (found here) and it's combination of humour and great musicianship had me hooked. I have since picked up much of his back catalogue, but I keep coming back to 5th Gear. For me, 'Ticks', 'Online' and 'I'm still a guy' stand out, but, although it is an oft used comment, there really is no filler here. To paraphrase Ralph Maccio in 'Crossroads' (the proper one) 'that boy can play'!

Excellent.

From Me To You
From Me To You
Offered by Funkingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 April 2009
This review is from: From Me To You (Audio CD)
Wow. What an album, and what an artist. Yui has a fantastic voice, and the songs here really do show it off. In a word, wonderful.