Profile for L. Stephens > Reviews

Content by L. Stephens

L. Stephens (Bristol)

Canon Selphy CP910 Compact Photo Printer - White
Canon Selphy CP910 Compact Photo Printer - White

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a 'toy printer', far from 'lab quality', or even a good Epson home printer, 5 Jan. 2016
Really had high hopes based on other reviews but I'm afraid, its quality is a long way from the mark.

Still, going to keep it, as it is heads and shoulders above the Polaroid Pogo that it is replacing, and looks good sat on the daughters desk.

Bottom line, if you want 'good' colour proximity, visit your local photo shop, but if you want a 'quick and dirty', not to faithful in it's reproduction, this might 'just' be suitable.

Monoprice 6 ft Ultra Slim Active High Speed HDMI Cable with RedMere Technology - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Works With Samsung & Virgin Media V+, 3 Mar. 2014
Just like to add that this cable works perfectly with a Samsung 22" 5400 Series Smart TV connected to a Virgin Media V+ box.

Picture is great on the 'small' screen and perfect for the children's bedroom..no more great big 'Monster' HDMI cables.

We wanted a white cable to match the whole 'White' theme of the room as far as modern electronics are concerned and this is perfect.

Will be trying it next with the Mac Mini and a 3D Larger LG LED Smart TV...will update later.

48 Hours: A City of London Thriller
48 Hours: A City of London Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Natalie Stephen, 4 Feb. 2014
Great story line and great characters ,but I bit of a slow start. Could have a second book about the same characters

Banana Boat Kids Tear-Free SPF #50 Continuous Spray 177 ml
Banana Boat Kids Tear-Free SPF #50 Continuous Spray 177 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars A great lubricant for your engine not your children, 15 Aug. 2011
We have tried many different creams and sprays over the years and always returned to Boots Soltan but 'again' this year we thought we would try the Banana Boat Kids SP50 'Ultramist'..what a mistake!

I have never applied anything so greasy and it has immediately stained my daughters white shirt and turned the floor into an ice-skating rink.

I guess that it would be fine for the beach where there is plenty of space and sand to soak up any residue and where the children will be wearing beachwear, but no good for general at home use or applying before sending them to school.

This product was available from our local Costco for £6.00 FOR 2 X Large cans which seemed a good offer..but included the cost of ruined shirts (trust me the stains do not come out in the wash) and then not such a good offer.

They say you get what you pay for..I know the Soltan products are expensive but with 6 hours protection and extended water play features they simply stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Ozbozz Cosmic Light Flashing Deck Scooter- Pink
Ozbozz Cosmic Light Flashing Deck Scooter- Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Issue with construction, 17 July 2011
OK, I have to be honest here and say that we have had ours a while..but that by no means implies that it has had constant use or abuse.

I think having the three wheels is a great introduction to balance hence 3 stars for educational value..learning balance is very important.

I love the fact that during Winter days the unit flashes so is more visible to people.

My biggest concern is the fact that whilst metal construction, the weld split on the rear wheels..I am just so glad that this happened whilst my daughter was playing in the garden as she fell off onto the grass..can you imagine this happening whizzing down the path next to a main road!

I have to give 5 star for 'fun' value as my daughter was so upset and asked for a replacement..goes to prove how much fun she did get from it.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one..just make sure you check the welds from time to time.

Madeleine
Madeleine
by Kate McCann

5.0 out of 5 stars Please buy this book - help find a child, 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Madeleine (Hardcover)
Firstly I can't believe there are so many negative comments about this book..people claiming that this book 'doesn't add up' or the facts are misleading..this isn't a game of 'cludeo'..the whole purpose of this book is not to help you idiots try to solve the case and why do any of you feel that you have the right to have 'theories'..ex police officers or not..you should all be very ashamed of yourself.

This book is helping to fund a campaign to reunite a little girl with her mummy and daddy..for that reason alone, I ask that you buy it.

It is obvious from reading this book that it was not produced by a professional and that makes it all the more intimate, you really do feel the pain that the McCann's went through and continue to suffer in their search for their daughter.

If you are a parent, it is not an easy read, does it answer any questions, not really, I didn't have any to start with. As a parent it helped me further understand how precious life is and how lost I would be without my own daughter..sometimes it's easy to take for granted the most precious things we have it life.

Please even if you never intend to read it, buy it and help fund the campaign.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2011 6:43 PM BST

Sony DSCHX5VB Cyber-shot Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this to take photo's, 27 Jan. 2011
I've had my HX5V for about 3 weeks now and whilst I don't pertain to be a professional, I'm far from an amateur. I purchased this in the hope that I did not have to carry bags around filled with camera and video equipment.

Firstly and I think most importantly, the picture quality is abysmal..far too much noise even at ISO 400 and the software over reacts by smoothing out the sharp lines to produce cheap looking end results.

Panoramic shots are both grainy and low quality compared to Windows own capability in this department using 'Live Photo Gallery'

Low level hand held shoots are impressive at first, but again the low quality of the end result will leave you feeling gutted!

So we turn on 'flash'..things continue downhill. The flash is so powerful that it casts a shadow behind everything within a 20 foot radius of the camera and I can't find anyway to reduce the power..if anyone knows how to..please let me know.

Auto mode produces 'blurry' indoor shots with far to much 'red' saturation.

There is incredible barrel distortion at wide angle and the only way to over come this is to zoom in by 1.5x.

Up against my trusted IXUS980..this camera is an absolute waste of time effort and money..good job then that I never bought it to take photo's..

HD Video..this is where things take a turn for the better..sort of..

Again massive amounts of barrel distortion at full wide angle, again this is overcome by zooming in by 1.5x

The ergonomics of the camera are all wrong which in turn lends the user towards supporting it with both hands. Everyone I handed it too all made the same critical error, they supported it on the left hand side which immediately placed your finger over the left mic..very bad design!

Stable image capability is very impressive as is the exmor R sensor and the G lens, both produce good quality low light video footage.

So there you have it, my thoughts on this 'Camera'!! not so good as a camera but as a pocket camcorder I think it will work.

As for the built in compass and GPS..I don't think I have ever needed to know which way I was facing when taking a shot and if you can't remember where you took a picture by looking at it..maybe you should stay at home anyway..

If any of you have any thought and comments about the flash and blurry picture problem, I would love to hear from you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2011 10:11 AM BST

ARCHOS 10.1 16 GB Internet Tablet
ARCHOS 10.1 16 GB Internet Tablet

3.0 out of 5 stars Archos - Lies and no customer support, 29 Nov. 2010
It seems that I am one of the fortunate ones, as I have had my 101 for a little over a week now which had given me plenty of time to play and set the unit up ready for Christmas.

I have to agree with other comments on here, the unit is quite flexible, but I don't see how this would be an issue if handled correctly..not sure if it would cope with a drop from any height!

The screen is not as responsive as I had hoped for compared to other tablets ie: Samsung Galaxy Tab and the ipad.

Two major issues I have with this unit..firstly, it is not supplied with Android 2.2 only 2.1 update 1..so anything 'flash' is still not available, I have contacted customer support and after hours on the phone and numerous emails, finally had a response that stated ' Froyo update is still being tested internally, will let you know when it is ready'.

Now for most, I don't think this will be an issue and we all hope that it will be available before Christmas..the worrying thing here is that 'Froyo' isn't new, I've had it on my phone for quite some time now so why is it causing such a problem for Archos?

I just hope that this isn't a sign that there are bigger compatibility problems between the two.

The 2nd major issue I have is the wifi range..this is the worst I have ever experienced on a 'N' network, even my daughters Nintendo ds has a better range. Unless I am sat right next to the router, I only get 40% network coverage..!

I can confirm that with a little playing around, you can indeed install the 'Official marketplace' and thus open up the full Android app's, (Angry birds is great fun on a screen this size)but again, beware that not all app's will resize and one of two were just unusable.

Now I hate everything 'Apple' but after playing with an ipad, I am left wondering why I have purchased such a cumbersome brute..it lacks smoothness and polish, there is nothing to protect the screen and it just feels cheap!

That aside, it plays everything video wise that I have thrown at it and makes a great digital picture frame.

I don't hate it, but I'm just missing the 'wow' factor that I experienced with the Tab and ipad..It's too big to hold in your hand and not as big as the ipad..I guess this sums the unit up, it's somewhere in-between the two and that is reflected in the pricing and performance.

As for Archos, well their customer service is none existent and they have lied as the box clearly states 'Android 2.2'

Grease: The Video Game (Wii)
Grease: The Video Game (Wii)
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars More hype than Jurassic Park, 28 Aug. 2010
Cast your mind back to all the hype that abounded around Jurassic Park and somehow when you finally managed to see the film..you were left feeling just a little let down...well prepare to revisit all those emotions and welcome to 'Grease - The Game'

I truly wanted this game to be good, to be as iconic as the film itself and not one of those badly ported film tie-in games that we have seen so many times before. Judging from the adverts and clips and married together with the fact that they have had 30 years in order to get this game ready...(I feel old now)... I had hoped for many hours spent with family and friends reliving an age of 'Hand Jive' and 'T-brids', care free living and trying to act cool...well not only have they managed to recreate the era of the film through animated sequences and those iconic tunes, but quite impressively managed to recreate the game controls of games machines circa 1980.

The overall feeling of this title is that it is trying to be too many things at one time, karaoke, dance and racing but lacking any real gameplay.

On the dance front, you spend more time watching the little arrows down the side on the screen then you do the actual action on the screen as the two have little to no bearing on each other..the use of the balance board adds a little dimension to your actions but as my 6 year daughter found out quite early on in the game..you simply need to just shake the wii controller in any manner to score points and didn't need to follow the on screen action at all!

There are sections of the game where you can be joined by a another player to take control of the mic and sing along but again this had little effect on the outcome and went no further than embarrassing the children.

When you get to race 'Greased lightning' down 'Thunder Road', you simply have to avoid obstacles by way of a very...very unresponsive steering action and the occasional hitting the A button to change gear..no acceleration or braking required..again my daughter just sat there, did very little and still managed to win on two occasions..!!

My feelings on this title are mixed, I still want to love it so much and yet come away thinking what if..what if they spent a bit longer just refining the controls it could have been so much better!

My recommendation is try before you buy..iconic film..less than iconic game
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2016 7:49 PM GMT

Canon Digital IXUS 980 IS Camera - Black (14.7MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch PureColor LCD II Viewfinder

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to like this camera....but!, 11 Feb. 2009
The first thing I would like to say is that I didn't want to like this camera, why? Well I love my photography and a camera should look and feel like a camera, it should take 2 hands to hold it and say look at me..I'm a camera, I'm a Digital SLR!

Well imagine my joy when I opened the box and saw this Ixus whimpering in the corner, bullied in to submission by its user manual and associated leads, even more so when I switched it on and the `tiny little lens' extruded from its body almost timid and afraid of the big world.

My first couple of shots were compared to identical shots on my slr and yet again I gloried in my slr's ability to obtain fine detail compared to this Ixus..I laughed in its face..untill I noticed I had it set in minimum quality mode...!

From here on in it all went wrong...The images are superb, the detail and colours are natural and clear, it doesn't take time to set up the right light levels, check aperture and shutter speed, in fact you turn on, point and shoot!

My only saving grace would be to test the Ixus in very low light levels as I thrive on getting night shots, surely it would cave in here..but sadly not...not only can you set this into full manual mode and let your artistic side run away, but just in Auto mode the camera was selecting all the right settings that I would have strived for with my slr.

I liken the Ixus 980 to taking the children to the local dog's home, you say all the way there, `we are only going to look!' and yet later that day you find yourself the proud owner of a Labrador puppy !

I have only had the camera a couple of days and yet I am already amazed at how versatile this little thing really is, my 5 year old can take a great little picture, albeit completely off centre, you crop in picture view mode and there you have a superb picture!

In manual mode, you have full control like any camera but just let the camera do its own thing and you will be amazed at just how well it knows itself and what to do next.

This is a truly great camera, I know it is a little bit more expensive than most but you really are getting your monies worth.

Well done Canon, a fine piece of engineering and finally, an Ixus in Black...a proper camera colour.