Profile for Peter Miller > Reviews

Content by Peter Miller

Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Time to Kill
The Time to Kill
by Mason Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thriller that I have read for years, 23 July 2016
This review is from: The Time to Kill (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great story. A hunted man being chased by people with all the resources that they need. He has inciminating evdence that could destroy their government organisation if made public.
The story is tense and exciting involving a chase across the USA in Winter and ends in a spectacular climax.
I would put this story up with the best of the earlier Colin Forbes and the best of Alistair Maclean and, trust me, in my book that is high praise indeed.
I did find the chapters with the flashbacks to the past tended to break the tension but thinking about it I can't see any other way of telling the back story as effectively.
I will definitely be buying some more of this author's work

Silentnight "Air Max" Pillow, Polyester, White
Silentnight "Air Max" Pillow, Polyester, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pillow, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally sleep with two pillows, one that s well used and a newer one. They always seem to collapse in the middle after a short time. Probably I should beat the living daylights out of them on a daily basis. With one well past its sell by date and the other on its way out I was delighted to try this pillow.
I find that it has justthe support that I like and doesn't seem to want to fold in the middle thereby attempting to suffocate me. It is firm and comfortable and I love it. I notice that it has a firmness rating of 8 for those who are interested.
How long it will last before it too starts to collapse is another matter and I amy come back to update this review.

Mr Todiwala's Spice Box: 120 recipes with just 10 spices
Mr Todiwala's Spice Box: 120 recipes with just 10 spices
by Cyrus Todiwala

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of taste and interest., 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For some background. I live alone. I quite like cooking, usually chops, sausges, caseroles etc. Sometimes I like to try more complicated dishes adn I like a bit more flavour. So adding Mr Todiwla's book to my collection seemd a good idea. The idea of just adding a few spices sounds great.
While the book tells you about Cyrus's ten spices that is only half the story. Each recipe gives you a full list of ingredients and after the two or three spices the rest of the list can be longer than my weekly Supermarket list and that s not short. Well, fine. I can live with that occasionally.
The recipes are scaled for four or more people. No problem, mymaths are pretty good.
Each recipe comes none page with a very detailed list of the ingredients. Excellent. In the second column is a very detailed and precise working description down to how many minutes to cook at each stage.
I would suggest that you photocopy the page so you can tick off each stage as you do it. I did miss one stage towards the end, not too much of a problem but I think the Coriander and spring onion would have benefitted from bit more cooking.
For my first foray I chose "Okra and Eggs on Potato" (34) I got everything needed and settled down to work. I allowed an hour for the whole thing.
Well, it all worked and worked well. I halved everything and worked to the time table given for cooking. I ended up with the dish that looked quite like the one on the book.
Now taste is very much a matter of personal choice. It was quite nice and I did polish it all off but I will try others next.
One bonus, there was not a vas amount of washing up.
I will be using other recipies, possibly slighty simpler ones. I want to try the lamb scallops and a few other as time goes by.
Comment Comment | Permalink

3M P600 230mm x 280mm Wetordry Ultra Fine Sandpaper Sheets - (Pack of 1)
3M P600 230mm x 280mm Wetordry Ultra Fine Sandpaper Sheets - (Pack of 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great paper for a reall good finish but not the ultimate., 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
TThis is extra fine sand paper, not the finest but finer that most peope need.. IT is very high quality and will produce a very fine finish on wood and sprayed paints. The wood will already need a fine finish beofre you go to 600 grit paper.
For sprayed paint it can be used to bring down the orange peel finish to an even surface before moving on to 800 and 1200 grit paper.
For the ultimmate finish before the final polish you can even go down to crocus paper/

Vicks VDT969EU AgeSmart Family Thermometer
Vicks VDT969EU AgeSmart Family Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good thermometer indeed, 20 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used an electronic thermometer for years. IT was very good but had two slight problems, it took a long time to reach the maximum temperature and you could not tell when it had.
This one reaches full temperature very quickly and gives you an easily visible colour to tell you if you are high or low. You can actually read it while it is in your mouth which is an added bomus.
The probe is flexible rubber which is quite nice to use.
It can also be set for small children who apparently work at different temperatures.
All in all a great improvement on my very old one.

Oral-B Smart Series 4000 Sensi Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice brush with extra whistles and bells for the gadget mad, 19 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very nice electric tooth brush. I have been using a normal cheap OralB version for years. This one has several additions.Forexample there is a red lightthat comes on to tell you that you are pressing too hard. You also get a signal telling you to change the area that you are brushing., 30 seconds for each jaw. The brush does seem to be much faster than my old one.Then there are a couple of different modesl for gum massage and a gentle brush.
Then it has WiFi to connect yto your smartphone. I don't have a smart phone, I even upset the phone shop because I refused to have a camera in the last phone I bought...Well I do carry a decent camera in my pocket at all times.
Appently by using a smartphone you can keep a record of your brushing etc. and I am sure that technophiles will just love that. I could make a few comments but will refrain. You even get a special holder for your smartphone in the package and a little rack to hold four extra brush heads
Basically you have a slightly advanced version of my original £17 ORal B tooth brush with extra whistles and bells.
As far as I am concerend it does brush better than my old one and that is all that I am concerned about.

Post-it 658H 25.4mm x 17.7m Cover Up and Label Tape (6 Lines, 1 Roll)
Post-it 658H 25.4mm x 17.7m Cover Up and Label Tape (6 Lines, 1 Roll)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 19 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
THis is excellent tape for labelling things. I have a mass of small drawers for bits and pieces. I keep meaning to label them all but my Brother Tapewriter which does an excellent job takes too long.
Now I can just write on the tape and stick it on the drawer. It also peels off easily so if I change the contents I can just peel it off and relabel the drawer.

Tooth Brush Timer
Tooth Brush Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I wanted or expected., 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Tooth Brush Timer (App)
I was trying to see if the Oral B App for my wifi OralB toothbrush could be donw loaded to my FIre 7. The one I got was just a kids time with the most irritating tinkly tune. As the brush has a built in timer this was even less use than normal.

Fenugreen FreshPaper Produce Saver Sheets (1 Pack of 8 Sheets)
Fenugreen FreshPaper Produce Saver Sheets (1 Pack of 8 Sheets)

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work, 12 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to be fairly cycnical about things that are claimed to perform miracles. However always willing to gve things the benefit of doubt.
bought a punnet of strawberries on their ast dispaly date. I made a point of leaving a few in the punnet including one which had been pecked by a bird.
I put a sheet of the paper over the open punnet in my fridge. 12 days later the remaining strawberries were still fresh and firm, even the pecked one.
I also found that some lettuce in an opened plastic bag had remained fresh a crisp for even longer and was really a surprise. Itreally works

Trump on Trump
Trump on Trump
by George Beahm

5.0 out of 5 stars BE AFRAID, BE VERY, VERY AFRAID., 7 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Trump on Trump (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fascinating book. Here we have a major businessman who has moved into politics to stand for election as President of the USA. I am sure that we have all heard or read his pronouncements. Most are pretty controversial.
The author takes the various statement made by Donald Trump, gives the source and in most cases gives the context and tell you if “The Donald” has got it right.
Trump has so much money that he doesn’t need backers or sponsors so, theoretically should not be under any obligations to anyone.
So what do we learn from the book. Well, he seems to have the diplomatic skills of a bulldozer. He also has some pretty strange ideas about various things.
One interesting idea:The suggestion is made that Ford are planning to build a huge factory in Mexico. Trump has said that he would tax every item made in that factory 35% when it comes into the USA.
His other ideas are even more radical and he doesn’t like supplying arms and equipment to see them abandoned to the enemy.
When he first announced that he was standing to be the presidential candidate everyone wrote him off. However he has gained tremendous popularity among a large section of the population.
What do I think after reading this book? Well, if he is elected as president it will be very interesting….and I hope that I am not around to see the culmination of it all!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20