Profile for Mr. M. R. Knight > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. R. Knight

Mr. M. R. Knight "Mark K" (England)

Mass Effect 3: N7 Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3: N7 Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, thoughtfull and emotional game - poor last 10 minutes, 23 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The game is a masterpiece from the word go.

The story flows well, characters are introduced and fleshed out through conversation, exploration and codex entries. Combat is improved slightly over ME2 but retains mostly the same dynamics. It's a lot of fun, and biotic combos never get old :0)

The game offers some spectacular set pieces, and very emotional and memorable moments with your crew. No spoilers here but Mordin, Tali, Garrus, Legion, Kaidan/Ashley, Wrex, Liara and Anderson all have really great scenes with Shepherd. And the rest are all featured to such an extent that you consider them all your friends by the end, and most of all - you care about them and what happens. I can't stress how important that is and how successfully the game is put together.

I've finished the game 3 times now trying to unlock all the achievements, so it is fun to replay as different classes, using new combat tactics in different situations and using the alternative conversation options.

One tiny gripe from me is that insanity difficulty setting just isn't hard enough - it's a walk in the park compared to the first game. Previously you had to be almost machine-like efficent to get through some sequences, but in this I found I could get through a lot of the game without even firing my gun (Biotics are far more powerful in this game as very few enemies have shields compared to the previous 2 games)!

The last 10 minutes is definitely a huge letdown. The game is virtually perfect until Shepherd goes up that elevator and the whole Mass Effect franchise is totally ruined by plot holes and stupidity.

Don't let the haters influence you though, the game is well worth it, the Collectors edition has some nice features, and in all a pretty great way to spend around 100 hours completing 3 times!

Victory Songs
Victory Songs
Price: 10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair review through fresh eyes (ears even), 3 April 2009
This review is from: Victory Songs (Audio CD)
The other reviews focus around the changing of singers - I hadn't heard of Ensiferum until 4 weeks ago when my nephew introduced me to Victory Songs, an album he really liked.

This album is absolutely outstanding and exactly what I want from my music. It is well arranged and the production quality and balance is incredible for an unknown band (To me and quite a high proportion of metal fans in the UK I suspect).

Most importantly it is fun, exciting and makes me feel great when I listen to it. There are parts you can sing/scream/bellow along to while you're driving.

I can't compare new singers to old but I do know that the singing on this album is excellent with mostly Children of Bodom esque screeching/snarling during the verses and a combination of melodic vocals and grunts/screams (EPIC) choruses.
The musicians are all clearly very talented and I can find no fault from the melodies which are technically excellent- there certainly are no 'filler tracks' and each song deserves its place on the album.

The record starts with a traditional instrumental to build the tension and excitement with drum rolls which culminates into a scream of fury and the start of one the best songs on the album 'Blood is the Price of Glory'. A full throttle opener with heavy riffs, a raging chorus and a fast beat. I hope to one day see a gig opened with this song as I'm sure the crowd would go mad for it.
The pace continues with 'Deathbringers from the Sky' and 'Ahti'. Both have catchy choruses - you can tell these guys have probably been influenced by Judas Priest with the Rob Halford esque screams which are pulled off with aplomb.
Track 5 - 'One More Magic Potion' is my favourite song from the album. A really great catchy song with excellent lyrics and you get a real feel-good factor while you listen to it.
The next 3 songs ebb and flow with the slower 'Wanderer' and evocative 'Raised by the Sword' followed by the fast paced rocker 'The New Dawn'.
The undisputed shining jewel of the album is the closer 'Victory Song'. The melody is catchy while intricate with beautifully played solos. The tempo is filled with changes and is paced magnificently. The chorus is a fantastic sing-a-long and the song is just breathtaking. Epic is the only appropriate word I can think of.

I listen to a lot of metal and this is my favourite album for a long time (Since I discovered Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian a few years ago).

If you are a fan of any of the bands below I would recommend you pick this up - you won't regret it (All these bands are ones I really like and have similar themes in one aspect or another).

Iron Maiden Nightwish Sonata Arctica DragonForce Iced Earth Lordi Stratovarius Turisas Trivium Blind Guardian Children of Bodom

Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Price: 13.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 13 Dec 2007
Nightwish storm back into the music scene with clearly their best album - the melodies by Tuomas are all stunnning (He's a genius), vocals by Marko and Annette are excellent and the whole feel of the album is spot on.

Despite weighing at over an hour the album sails by - I'm a metal fiend and everything I've listened to since doesn't seem as good as it did once now that the bar has been raised so high!

My highlights are Poet and the Pendulum, Sahara and Seven days to the Wolves. Poet and the Pendulum seriously goes toe to toe with any song I've ever heard.

I've been listening to this for the best part of a month on repeat and not even close to being tired with it.

Well done Nightwish - Tarja may never be forgotten but this has soothed the wounds from her leaving.

300 [2007] [DVD]
300 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars 300 - My pick for best film of the year, 6 Dec 2007
This review is from: 300 [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
300 is extremely straight forward. The plot has very few twists and dialogue is at a premium - that's what it hasn't got, so don't go thinking this is Gladiator part2 or LOTR.

300 is a virtual non-stop feast for the senses - a visually breathtaking film with some of the most awesome combat sequences you'll ever see.

It will make you wish you were a Spartan.
It will make you want to join a gym.

It's difficult to place my finger on what exactly it is that makes me love this film so much - its just so.....cool (Sorry for sounding like a teenager).

If you didn't see this at the cinema then my condolences - you definitely missed out. Still, you can turn the lights down, volume up and phone off the hook and you'll have a great evening with this DVD (Particularly with the lads - unless your girlfriend has a thing for mindless violence she probably won't appreciate this.....that's not sexist - boys like fighting).

My pick for film of the year as I've never seen anything like it (Closest comparisons are probably martial arts movies).

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (PS2)
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (PS2)
Offered by total-gamer
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Gauntlet fan - not of this though, 23 May 2006
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
After playing this for 20 minutes I decided I liked this game - the graphics look great, the story seemed cool and I liked the new combos and moves you could pull off.

This wore off quickly and I realised what a depressing waste of money this is.

I look back to the last gauntlet game - Dark Legacy and remember:

1) Loads of levels

2) Multitude of different enemies

3) Awesome bosses

4) Loads of power ups to collect and buy

5) Piles of different items to collect (To open levels and help against the bosses)

6) Cool moves that you can pull off with your team mates.

7) A big selection of different characters

8) It was a big challenge - it was fun

This game has none of this. There are a pitiful amount of levels - each as easy as the last. After you have bought a limited selection of extra moves, there is nothing to collect (You just accumulate gold with nothing to spend it on). There are only about 15 different enemies, the bosses look the same and offer only a brief challenge. There are only 4 characters now as well.

The only good part of the game was the end boss which we completed first time.

In all the game took less than 5 hours for me and my girlfriend to complete.

The game is shallow and has no replay value (We got 100% and we didn't even try).

I hope you won't glaze over this review and read something more positive because I don't want other people to be ripped off like we were. This is the worst game I've played in a long time, and it hurts me to say that because we are big Gauntlet fans.

WASTE OF MONEY - ignore this at your own risk.