Profile for Dabbler > Reviews

Kitchen Craft Colourworks Ice Cream Scoop with Soft Touch Panel, Red
Kitchen Craft Colourworks Ice Cream Scoop with Soft Touch Panel, Red
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 16 Sep 2014
Heavy quality item with a good cutting action through the ice cream, recommended

Philips LivingColors Aura Colour Changing Mood Light White (Integrated 1 x 8 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control)
Price: 59.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to a hue system or use on it's own., 8 Sep 2014
I was originally going to buy a Philips Hue Tap so that visitors could turn my hue lights on and off without a smartphone (and having to give them access to my Wifi network). However seeing the reviews on the tap mentioning that sometimes the buttons could be a little difficult to use I was on the lookout for something else

I saw this and found out that it could quite easily be paired with my existing Philips Hue bulbs and hub, the fact that the unit itself and the remote were only marginally more that the Hue Tap made the price a bit easier to swallow. I could get the remote and have the light thrown in for about 8 in my reckoning.

So for a couple of days I used the light and remote without pairing it with my Hue hub. I was quite pleasantly surprised, the light was quite bright (I have it behind my sofa aimed as a magnolia wall) and was easily controllable. Although not as reactive to the colour changing wheel as I might have liked.

Last night I paired it with my Hub and the remote with all my other Hue bulbs, it took me about 20 minutes to figure it all out and physically go up to each exiting bulb and pair it to the remote, then the remote to the hub. I then had to set up all my alarms and timers again. Oh by the way of you are doing this remember to 1st quit all the hue Apps you may have running otherwise it doesn't work.

So now I have control of the bulbs and the LivngColors Aura as a single group on the remote, what a pity you can't select them individually like with the previous generation remote. I also still have control via the App (individually and as groups). The remote now lives on the hallway wall so that visitors can turn on and off the group as they like and change the colour.

One thing to note is that the Aura cannot be controlled in a Philips light recipe because it can't obtain the full range of whites that the Hue bulbs can.

Oakley Glasses Case Large Soft Vault black Size:L
Oakley Glasses Case Large Soft Vault black Size:L
Price: 16.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a problem with the glue on the inside, 26 Aug 2014
I have to say I'm a bit of a fan of Oakley cases, I have this and two others, this one came with my prescription sunglasses. Day to day I store them in this, mainly in the car. It fits nicely into the door pocket, whereas the metal vault was just a bit too large and whilst it fitted caused indentations in the door material.

I've had this for a number of years and has lasted well on the outside, hardly a blemish but mind you it doesn't exactly have a hard life, it's not totally rigid but certainly resists crushing quite nicely.

However I noticed a problem on the inside the other day, the glue that hold the little protective patches over the hinges has started to go all powdery, sort of a deep yellow colour and as a result the patches have some loose.

This might have been brought on by the high temperatures in the car during the summer but I guess this isn't to be unexpected after all the case stores sunglasses right?

Oh well I guess I'll repair them myself

Sennheiser HD 25 Basic Edition, Closed Headphone for ENG/DJ use with split headband
Price: 125.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not without it's issues, 18 Aug 2014
I have used these professionally for sound recording for about 15 years and whilst not without their issues (detailed below) they do suit me quite well. I have tried various other professional cans but I have to say that I keep coming back to these, for the price they can't be beaten.

Pros
First and foremost great audio quality, clinical sounding which can reveal faults in noisy headphone amp circuits.
Good fit, the slit headband, padded head band and earcups work well. The length of adjustment of each earcup is also impressive
Good seal, almost as good as Bose QC15s in acoustic noise reduction level but without the active element.
Very repairable. As they get older things get worn out, the headband pad, the earcup pads and once thet get very old the actual adjustment on the earcup sliders gets very loose. Sennheiser stock an amazing range of spares for these headpones.
Great cable, not curly and not too short, just right with a good right angle plug on the end.

Cons
Comfort, for me I find they press on the outer part of the ear a bit too much, after about 2 hours I have to take them off for a few minutes
Earcup connections. Often I need to re-seat the electrical connection on one or more earcups as the sound in one of them cuts out. Doing this usually cures it, it's not a dead driver just a dodgy connection.

Oh and a little tip, get the optional velour car cup pads, Sennheiser HD25 Earpads Velour much more comfortable than the included ones

Avantree Saturn Pro Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Audio Receiver and Transmitter 2 in 1 Adapter for real time TV and video games, no lip sync issue, with aptX low latency codec, support iphone,iPod, iPad, Tablets, MP3/MP4, TV, CD player, hifi speakers, headphones, home stereo, car radio or other sound systems
Offered by AvantreeDirect
Price: 45.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but you need a pair to see the true benefit *Update*, 13 Aug 2014
I have been using bluetooth audio devices since they first burst onto the market. For a lot of non synchronous applications of course latency isn't that important however in my eyes quality always is.

Since the introduction of the AptX codec some years ago we've had the opportunity to listen to much better bluetooth audio, however until recently with the introduction of the Saturn Pro we haven't had something which could be used effectively with TV or games setups.

I had been waiting for this device, or something like it for years and I'm happy to say that it performs as advertised. A very simple setup and an even simpler TX/RX switch on the device is very welcome. Also I have to say the size was quite a surprise, it's tiny probably about half the size I was expecting.

There are plenty of leads and adapters in the box allowing you to fit this to almost any consumer audio source , the battery life is good and is easily chargeable via the USB socket on most modern equipment. As others have mentioned the fact that this uses a sealed battery is a slight disappointment but apart from that I don't really have anything negative to say.

Oh one thing to add, you must have low latency support in the Transmitter and receiver side of things to see the full benefit and as of today I can't find any headphones with Bluetooth low latency and AptX, only Aptx. Maybe they should make a kit available with a pair of these for slightly less money that 2 x 1 unit.

*One other thing to mention, after using this for a few weeks I noticed that the sound quality suffers if you are charging/powering the transmitter whilst using it, a low level hum is transmitted along with the audio, only really noticeable during very quiet or silent parts but it is there, remedied by pulling out the USB plug*
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 4:46 AM BST

Himalayan Salt Pipe - Porcelain Amazing Health
Himalayan Salt Pipe - Porcelain Amazing Health
Offered by Amazing Health
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good initial results, time will tell, 5 Aug 2014
I bought this for my mother who suffers from blocked sinus on a regular basis. I was a little sceptical as it was recommended by a friend of hers but she decided she wanted to try it.

It comes in a cardboard box and inside the box in a bubble wrap puch sits the pipe sealed in another layer of plastic. Also included is a rubber cap for the opening.

Well my Mum felt the benefit after just a couple of breaths, amazing but she said she could feel a pop in one of her nostrils, that hasn't happened before with other over the counter remedies. She says it's a bit of an odd sensation and you have to get used to the salt aftertaste.

Time will tell, she's only had it 4 days but it looks promising.

Opticron 3.5x50mm Classic G Hand Magnifier
Opticron 3.5x50mm Classic G Hand Magnifier
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality small magnifier, 5 Aug 2014
Nice quality glass lens, although probably a bit small for most uses. As a result fits nicely in a handbag. Magnification is good but I wish the lens was a bit larger even though this would increase the price (and weight)

Opticron 2x110mm Classic G Hand Magnifier
Opticron 2x110mm Classic G Hand Magnifier
Price: 15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, nice price, 5 Aug 2014
This is a nice and large magnifier with a reassuringly heeavy glass lens. Ok so the quality might not be the very best but good enough the lens doesn't seem to suffer from undue chromatic issues. This is also just the right diameter so that it can be used to read the paper without having to peer too much

VonHaus Bracket with Desk Clamp for iPad Tablet Computer Android Nexus Kindle
VonHaus Bracket with Desk Clamp for iPad Tablet Computer Android Nexus Kindle

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not quite flexible enough for my needs, 31 July 2014
OK for it's intended purpose, although I wanted to mount the desk clamp at 90 degrees and It couldn't cope with being able to angle the head the way I wanted, too much resistance to being set in the correct position

Mobilux Pocket LED Illuminated Magnifier - Eschenbach 5x
Mobilux Pocket LED Illuminated Magnifier - Eschenbach 5x
Offered by Brille-im-Internet
Price: 42.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, just not suitable, 31 July 2014
Very nice quality, although the box it comes in isn't too robust. In the box are also 2 tinted covers for the LED light to aid reading.

Unfortunately it's a bit too small for my mother to use as she has Macular Degeneration I also think that it might be just a bit too powerful. The search continues...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20