Profile for Dabbler > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 368

Dabbler
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Packet of (4) 14mm (just over 1/2") Long Neck /Shaft standard suction cup, cups, sucker, suckers,approx 9mm shaft, clear vinyl PVC
Offered by Besocute
Price: 2.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little suckers, 28 Oct 2013
I got these for a specific problem I have, tying to pull out very small dents in a plastic steering wheel emblem. Unfortunately they didn't work, not quite enough suction, hey I thought it was a bit of a long shot. I'm bound to find a use for them somewhere else though

GoPro HERO3+ BLACK Edition - Camcorder - (12MP, WiFi)
GoPro HERO3+ BLACK Edition - Camcorder - (12MP, WiFi)
Price: 269.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better battery life, problems with the lens for some **Update 27/11**, 24 Oct 2013
This is just a brief heads up for people looking to purchase this product. Product now 4 Stars with the new Update (see below)

I reviewed the GoPro 3 when it came out and complained about the battery life, I'm happy to say with the new battery and Wifi hardware in this camera you get a much better recording time. Up to about 110% longer in some modes (30% more in others). The biggest gain to be had is when you are using Wifi, with it recording 1080 50fps and Protune on you can now record for 1 Hr 13mins as opposed to 30mins on the previous camera.

However there is a big issue with the lens on some of the cameras, the one I had for testing was focused as about 2 feet (60cms) as a result anything further away looks a bit soft. GoPro are aware of this and are looking at the problem, however if you get a camera with 0913 in the serial number (digits 6-9) you will probably have this issue.

There does also seem to be buffering on the video output over wifi, the latency is better but this means that the output is not as smooth, which might be important for some. I'll report more once I get a camera without the focus problem.

My advice, hold off on buying one for the moment unless you can guarantee you'll get one without the focus problem (or you don't mind)

**Update, GoPro now have cameras with the fix available (27/11), I've had a look and they have improved things with regards to focus. Also to note the colour accuracy of the 3+ is better than the 3. If using Protune Mode please be aware that your pictures may look a little soft, this is deliberate as sharpness can be added later in post production if required. ProTune is designed to give the most accurate pictures with the most latitude for adjusting later. There is buffering on the Wifi Output which has the effect of making it look quite juddery, it seems to spit out 6 frames at a time, pause briefly and then do the next 6. Some people won't mind and it seems to be the price you pay for better battery life .**
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 1:53 PM GMT

Tala Long Reach Refillable Lighter
Tala Long Reach Refillable Lighter
Offered by A ONE SUPPLIERS
Price: 2.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a certain technique for success., 21 Oct 2013
I thought I would have to send this back as after opening the package I tried to ignite it quite a few times with only a 10% success rate.

Then I discovered that you need to pull the trigger slowly not quickly to make sure it lights 100% of the time. The lockout seems to work well as does the flame adjuster.

This is not a high cost high quality item but it does the job.

Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Blue
Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Blue
Price: 21.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on all the marketing hype, 21 Oct 2013
I wanted a new travel mug for use in my car, now that the car I have has proper cup holders.

I wanted something that was stylish, large enough for a good gulp and most importantly one that didn't leak. I also wanted something that would keep the drink hot or cold, almost forgot to mention that.

After a bit of trawling around I found that Contigo West Loop Autoseal mug. OK I wasn't convinced that it wouldn't drip, I was also skeptical of the claims for how long this mug retained the temperature but I'm happy to say both hold true.

I made a mug of tea about 2 and a half hours ago and it's still pretty hot, in fact I would say for the fits 60 mins it was a little too hot! If you follow the instructions you will have no problems, although carfeul note should be made on how to fill and seal the top. It doesn't drip a drop.

Well Done Contigo, top marks

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, quite large, 20 Oct 2013
I bought this to keep in my car for change for car parking, tolls and the like. However I underestimated how large it was. This is suitable for large amounts of change and very sturdy in construction.

I'm still planning to use it but it'll have to squeeze into the glove compartment instead of the centre console.

Olympus Has Fallen [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A]
Olympus Has Fallen [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt
Price: 7.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Standards have fallen?, 4 Oct 2013
Overall this is quite an enjoyable film although very violent in places, basically this what the latest Die Hard film should have been, I kept thinking of Bruce Willis in the central role.

I think that the standards on the CG special effects in this film are a bit sub standard, I thought a lot of the helicopter shots in particular were badly rendered. The acting is OK and there are some nice little (and no so little) roles from Ashley Judd (nice to see her back) and Morgan Freeman.

Not one of the most cerebral films out there but on the other hand it does make you think, 'what if?' Overall a good little popcorn film.

Sony QX10 Lens Style Camera for Smartphones and Tablets - Black (18.2MP, 10x Optical Zoom)
Price: 137.36

3.0 out of 5 stars The shape of things to come? **updated**, 24 Sep 2013
I must applaud Sony for bringing this product (and it's bigger sister) to market.

It's early days for this type of product and they are also quite brave with the pricing of the QX10, something that in the past Sony would not have done.

What you really want to know about is how well it works, I have to say nice try but this is not designed really to be anything more than a lens attachment for your Smartphone with some advantages in terms of zoom range . Yes it records on board, yes it does better stills and video (well that's debatable, more about that as I test it more). However what really lets it down for people who really want to stretch this thing, there is little manual control, only exposure compensation in Program mode. There is no RAW shooting mode only JPG (both to the Micro SD card and to the phone). The iauto and superior auto modes work well enough, the metering seems to cope well in a variety of situations. The AF and touch AF seem to centre only on the central 80% of the image, that's not unusual though. The app is constantly showing icons on screen when it detects that you are trying to take a macro shot, when it thinks the camera is on a tripod and when you have your subject backlit.

It's quite easy to set the WiFi up, although the connection is not that reliable even docked to the back of my iphone 5, this could be down to the very heavy WiFi traffic in the location I was testing this in. Every now and again it would not be able to refresh the video preview of the camera to the phone and would drop frames, quite annoying. I also find the on screen zoom control odd as you continuously have to jab at the buttons to get a constant speed, the control on the lens is much better.

You can of course take the camera off the phone, I manged to get about 15m away before the I lost the connection.

Image quality, well that's average, although sometimes the preview you get just as you take the shot ends up looking quite a lot softer than the image you actually end up saving. In almost all situations you end up getting a better result than the immediate preview gives you.

**I've been testing a bit more and managed to get into a situation where the superior auto mode causes very long processing times as it captures a number of frames and tries intelligently to get the best result by noise reducing and averaging the images. In fact I think it's crashed the app. I was trying a handheld macro shot when this happened, in fact this has happened more than once, as I write this review. When it is able to process these multiple images successfully it does quite a good job considering.

Also I notice that when the app reports 'fetching' after you take a picture it does not actually appear on the phone if you set the save options to 'off', odd as I would expect the app to even bother with the transfer process if it set that way.

The app appears very buggy, or at least the camera/app integration needs a lot of work**

The lens holder works well, even on my iphone with a case attached, just remember that when you take it off you need to slide the small black plastic release switch forward before you twist it, you'll end up breaking it if you don't!

I do hope some of these issues can be addressed, the app responsiveness for one, several times it just stopped responding, frozen on a taken image. Now Sony have opened up the API for this camera we should soon see some new Apps from different developers who may be able to exploit the features of this camera/lens.

This could be the first of a wave of these sort of cameras, they just need better software, a more robust way of transmitting the image to the camera and most important of all they need to be of better quality than any currently available Smartphone camera, if not they are going to be very short lived.

** The new version of the app released in December 2013 addresses some of these issues, it seems more responsive and I like the fact that you can access the images quickly from the right hand side of the app, also the download speed seems to have improved a little. Sony have promised a firmware upgrade to the camera adding 1080p video capture and an extra stop in terms of ISO. There still seems to be issues with performance of the link from the camera to the smart phone when it's more than a metre or so away.**
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 11:41 AM GMT

Zero Dark Thirty (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Zero Dark Thirty (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt
Price: 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it more, 17 Sep 2013
I think my biggest problem with this film is how long it is and also how long it takes to get going.

In a lot of films this is done to build dramatic tension but in this one I found it sadly lacking, at least for the first hour of this film. There is an event, a natural turning point after which the pace picks up, the last 30 mins or so are very good but I nearly didn't make it that far, I'm glad I held on.

I would have thought that you could have easily reduced the running time by about 20 mins and improving the timing somewhat.

The performances are OK but I can't really understand why Jessica Chastain was nominated for an Oscar for her role, then again I thought most of the nominations this year were a little poor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 10:26 PM GMT

Austin Powers [Blu-ray]
Austin Powers [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mike Myers
Price: 9.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok but why no subs or extras?, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Austin Powers [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A true classic of it's day and maybe it's not aged that well but I still love the film itself.

This is not the best of transfers, obviously not remastered as the film weave on the titles at the beginning is pretty awful. That said the picture quality itself isn't too bad, and the sound is very good.

One problem though is that there are no subtitles on this film, something you sometimes find on lower budget discs but why this one?

I also bemoan the lack of extras, looks like they're waiting for the 20th anniversary but by then it'll be a 4K release!

Anti Static ESD Shielding Metal Loc-Top Bags, 15x25cm, Pack of 25 bags
Anti Static ESD Shielding Metal Loc-Top Bags, 15x25cm, Pack of 25 bags
Offered by PC Valet Ltd
Price: 9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, nice and tough, 13 Sep 2013
These are ideal for 3.5" hard drives, although a bit on the large side the next size down are just a smidge too small.

Initially I was a bit concerned as the zip lock looked a bit like it wasn't going to work, I was afraid of ripping the bag on trying to open it. An unfounded fear as it turned out, it just needs a bit more force that I thought. I'm going to use it with Icy Box IB-AC626 Aluminium Protection Case for 3.5 and 2.5 inch HDD. There are bags included but they're not re-sealable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20