Profile for The Accidental Reviewer > Reviews

Content by The Accidental...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 330

The Accidental Reviewer (London)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Intern [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
The Intern [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

5.0 out of 5 stars Really , really suprising...in a good way, 28 Jun. 2016
This is not the film I was expecting, which is a good thing as this is much better than the trailer or the movie poster could convey.

Let me start by saying I'm not a big fan of Anne Hathaway, it's not that she's done anything wrong in my eyes it's just the films that she has been have not been the right fit for her. It all changes with The Intern, she really shines in this film and I had a lot of sympathy for her character. De Niro as usual is excellent, he underplays this character perfectly with a subtlety of touch that could so easily have been overdone. Yes the ending is a little bit on the sentimental side but actually I think it fits perfectly with the story, it could have been really over done and they really have reined it in. There is actually little in the way of cliches here, something I really applaud. The comedy here is very well-controlled and only really allowed off the leash during one scene, this is much more a drama and a very mature one at that.

If you like the films of James L Brooks films I think you'll like this, a real touch of realism, saying a lot by saying a little.

Burnt [Blu-ray]
Burnt [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Kitchen scenes, relationships.... not so much, 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Burnt [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Editorially this film starts well and roars along at 100 miles an hour for most of the opening half. The best scenes in this film of the ones in the kitchens and the adversarial relationship between Jones and Reece which doesn't start well actually ends up being the more satisfying one. The love story thing seems to develop too easily for me.

The central character does little to gain any sympathy, even the odd subplot involving money owed for drugs and his ex-girlfriend seems largely superfluous. Most of the relationships seems naturally forced, particular the scene with Lily and the cake.

Lots of the plot points seem a little too convenient, the mistaken identity of the Michelin men for example. There’s just a bit too much shoe horned in here, unlike a lot of films this needed to be a bit longer. If the you look at the deleted scenes there’s nothing there that should have been added back in though, new stuff is needed. The Reece/Jones relationship needs fleshing out, as well as that with his ex and even his slightly tumultuous history with Tony.

Technically not much of note here, although most of the audio is locked the front channels there are some rear effects during the kitchen scenes.

Just as an aside, I got a real kick out of the ending. As Londoners will know the Langham is nowhere near the river Thames, so the fact that we are supposed to believe that he could walk out of his kitchen and be slap bang on the edge of the Thames with tower bridge in the background is somewhat laughable but hey that’s the magic of films for you.

Three Amigos! [Blu-ray]
Three Amigos! [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Steve Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars No extras but technically not bad, not sure the film survived the 80's that well, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Three Amigos! [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was interested in having a look at this in HD on blu-ray as I hadn't seen this since the early 90s in SD on VHS. I had fond memories of this as I'm a Steve Martin fan and I wanted to see if my rose tinted specs we're in need of new lenses.

The first thing to note is there are absolutely no extras, from the main title page all you get is the play option, not even chapters!

There are still a few parts in this film that made me giggle, it wasn't cutting edge comedy when it was released but it has it maintained it's appeal? I don't think it's going to appeal to any new audiences but us old fogies can still enjoy it one more time. This is no 'The Jerk' or 'The Man with Two Brains' but I still think there are quite a few laughs here and to this day I still try and use the 'plethora' line in conversation now and again to see who remembers this film.

Now from a technical point of view...

The opening science is the 3 Amigos singing their theme song. I was a little disappointed with the amount of film grain evident in this piece, although this does settle down to only minimal levels throughout the rest of the film. Though it's a bit worse in the black and white silent parts, mainly down to it being shot on 16mm.

There is a good amount of shadow detail, particularly well handled in the cantina scene. Most of the audio is locked to the front channels with only a few spot effects making use of the rear channels but they are effective, especially the church bell chiming at 5:42 and the horses at 36:34.

There's not much edge enhancement going on, I was only aware of it during a couple of wide shots with the cactus' looking particularly sharp (no pun intended). There was also some evidence of it on the edges of some of the hats against the sky but it wasn't intrusive in any way.

Wireless Charger Kit, LANIAKEA® Qi Wireless Charging Kit with iPhone Qi Receiver for iPhone 6/6S Plus 5/5S/SE, Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung Galaxy S6/S7 Edge/Note 5, Nokia Lumia 950/1520, Moto 360
Offered by SilkRoad_Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Too inefficient, 19 Jun. 2016
You have to love wireless things, they've pretty much taken over our lives, wireless chargers whilst not being truly wireless are an attractive option when charging your mobile phone. Until recently there's been no real option to do this with an iPhone as Apple stead fastly refuse to incorporate this technology.

So when I was approached to test an Apple iPhone wireless charging solution I jumped at the chance. As part of the package you get a wireless charger, shake to bit like a flying saucer and even embossed with NCC – 1701 with a nod to Star Trek. You also get a thin flexible wireless charging receiver to stick to the back of your iPhone, it's slides nicely between the iPhone and an attached case as long as the case is not too thick. The ribbon cable slides quite securely into the lightning port. Although I have to say as it is not a true lightning plug I had my doubts that it would work correctly.

I'm happy to report that it does work fine, the charger happily connects wirelessly to the receiving pad. There is however a big problem, and I think it is inherent in all wireless charging devices and that is the efficiency. When I compared how much current it takes to charge my phone wirelessly versus with a standard Apple Lightning cable I was slightly horrified to discover that it takes another 50% to use the wireless method. This additional power seems to be lost as heat as my phone was a lot warmer charging this way.

I should also add that the box only contains the circular charger, a longer than usual micro USB charging cable and the wireless receiving pad/aerial.

Regression
Regression
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars One for dark nights at home alone, 15 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Regression (Blu-ray)
This is an interesting little film and, Quite creepy, a film you want to fast forward in places if you're watching it alone in a dark room at night.

I think Emma Watson is underused here although she's got a role which does not adhere to the usual stereotypes. A good ensemble cast adds to the unsettled feeling throughout them most of the film, Particularly Dale Dickey as Rose Grey, Watson's Grandmother. I think that the twist is revealed a little early, It could have been one of the last things in the film. David Thewlis is also a welcome addition to the cast, his psychiatrist character is interestingly flawed.

This is very nicely shot it has a real feeling of menace and darkness to it. I actually would give this film 3 1/2 stars but of course I can't do that so I was feeling a little generous.

Black Mass [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Black Mass [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

4.0 out of 5 stars Depp stretches his acting muscles again, 14 Jun. 2016
This is a review of the film not comparison between the fiim and books written about the subject.

For obvious reasons this really does have a Goodfellas feel about it. Not since Donnie Brasco has Depp had a character to he could really get his teeth into. If you can get over the extensive make up and contact lenses then you will be rewarded with a performance far from Captain Jack.

Yes the film is a little slow in places but it soon picks up the pace, although the female roles are very one-dimensional.

I really enjoyed this film and it's gritty realism, another good film about Southie, but it's not Dead Poets Society. And just to warn you it's pretty violent in places

Projector, NIUTOP Full Color Max 130" Portable Screen 1000 lumen for Entertainment Home Cinema Theater Party and Games Multimedia LCD LED Pico Projector 800x480p Optical Keystone Usb av sd hdmi vga Interface Video Games Movie Night black
Offered by NiutopUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, just don't expect a home cinema experience, 13 Jun. 2016
I like projectors, no strike that, I really like projectors. I've been using projectors as main viewing source for about the last 15 years.

Things have changed quite a bit my first projector was SD and cost around £1300. Today I'm taking a look at a projector that cost less than £50 and has a very similar specification to my original one all those years ago.

In the box you get

The projector
lens Cap
Adjustable leg
Mains cable
Remote control
AV cable
Manual

You do not get any batteries, the remote control takes two AAAs. You do however get a multitude of inputs.

VGA
HDMI
USB
Composite/Audio

You also get a USB connector to provide 5V power, for example this thing does work with a chromecast. There is also a full-size SD card slot, although I could only use it with an old 16 GB SD HC card. It Wouldn't work with larger capacity or the new format SD XC cards.

There's also a 3.5 mm headphone output which I suggest you use for external speakers as even though this has an onboard speaker it's not great and has to fight the fan noise, although this projector seemed a little quieter than the last one I tested and you can tweak the audio a bit to give dialogue a chance. The minimum distance for projection is 120 cm, any closer and you cannot focus the image. At this distance you get an image of approximately 100 cm diagonal.

This projector isn't overly bright, although in dark conditions it's not too bad considering the price. It uses an LED array instead of a bulb so it should last a good few years with normal usage. This is good value especially when you consider that projector bulbs can cost about three times the cost of this projector itself.

You can very definitely see the pixel structure when closer than about 1 1/2 m. There is a small adjustment knob underneath the projector to raise the front, however you then need to make a keystone adjustment to get a square image. There is a small amount of Keystone adjustment available via a second wheel behind the main focus wheel, although this does make the top and bottom of the picture a bit blurry. I would try and avoid using any keystone adjustment as it just makes the image and acceptably blurry. You have to consider with this projector that it does project an image slightly below the central axis of the lens so that if you put it on a table you have to put it right near the edge otherwise the picture will be projected slightly onto the table itself.

The remote is basic, not backlit but it does the job although it only works when pointed towards the rear of the projector as that is where the IR reception window is. I do wish there were dedicated buttons for each input.

There are some basic controls in the menu to adjust the picture and some presets, you can only adjust the picture controls whilst in the user picture present. You can control the color, brightness, contrast and sharpness there are also some color temperature presets. The limitation of the LED bulb does mean that's you get problems with a lack of punch to the image. It's also not overly bright, In a darkish room you need to limit the diagonal size to around 1.5 to 2 m, It certainly won't work very well in a room with a lot of ambient light.

This is no home cinema projector but for the money you can can't really expect that. It is a competent SD projector with a few bells and whistles like the SD card playback and chromecast compatibility. This is great for a fun from impromptu gaming or movie session, not for critical viewing. When and if a proper HD version arrives for sensible money, I'll be first in line, although I think it will be several years yet, by then will be expecting 4K.

This product was sent to me for review purposes. This has no effect on my opinion. I provide unbiased professional reviews and award stars based on performance, ease of use and value for money. This sometimes causes problems with the distributor or manufacturer but it has no effect on my review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Newmen Laser Pointer 2.4GHz Wireless Presenter PowerPoint Clicker Presentation Remote with Red laser,P012
Offered by Mobile Electronics Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy but limited RF range and issue with Mac compatibility, 13 Jun. 2016
Now and again even I have to give a presentation from a laptop, usually to an assembled crowd of largely uninterested parties, something I don't really like to do, death by PowerPoint is a slow painful demise. However when I do these I usually like to wander around a bit and use something like this.

This is a ‘wand’ or pen form factor presentation tool, It allows you to navigate forwards and backwards through presentation slides and highlight points with a user pointer, is it me or is that very last century. It's pretty simple it only has an off switch and activation button for the laser and a dual function forward and backward rocker button. This button has dual functions as it can allow you to page forward and backwards individually through presentations but it also has another function holding the downward arrow for three seconds brings up a blank screen. Holding the upward button instigates the presentation and, Like pressing shift F5 on the keyboard. The only other buttons are just below the navigation button based single momentary press button which activates the laser pointer and a simple on-off sliding switch on the side.

In the box you just get the presenter itself with the dongle and also some batteries and a quick start guide. There is also a hole for a lanyard at the base pf the product but one is not included in the box.

I like the fact that the dongle magnetically attaches to the underside of the laser pointer as it slides home in its bottom. It takes 2 x AAA a batteries for power. It sits well in the hand nicely weighted once the batteries are inserted although I do think the range is a little limiting. Not a problem for small conference rooms where the laptop is placed in the middle of the room on the front but if you are the very large presentation space you're limited somewhat by the range being only approximately 3 to 4 m. You can switch between Mac or OS operating modes by holding down House ends of the rocker switch until the activity light. placed above it flashes. However I have found that with a mac you cannot use the play button i.e. the start presentation button as it does not map correctly, at least with my version of PowerPoint for Mac.

This is quite a nice little unit although lacking in build quality slightly, it doesn't feel particularly solid to me especially without the batteries.

A4 Mylar Divider 10-Part Multi-Colour WX01526
A4 Mylar Divider 10-Part Multi-Colour WX01526
Offered by Morgan's Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, 13 Jun. 2016
Mylar? sorry but only the tabs appear to be mylar the majority of the divider is thick paper, although there is re-inforcement around the holes.

Hammerite 6100244 90ml Kurust
Hammerite 6100244 90ml Kurust

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 13 Jun. 2016
Very effective treatment for radiators that are chipped in places before applying enamel paint. Just make sure to clear away loose paint and rust with a wire brush.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20