Profile for Craig Duncan > Reviews

Content by Craig Duncan

Craig Duncan "tls_01" (Virginia, USA)

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book Too Far?, 22 May 2014
While David Walsh has been a dogged and steadfast pursuant of the truth behind the Lance Armstrong 'miracle' story from the time of his first Tour win, and has suffered much because of it, this particular book adds little that has not already been told (even by Walsh himself). Even for officionadoes of the 'I told you so' camp (in which I count myself a fully paid-up member) the book is a little too self-indulgent. It reminds me of the end of a theatre play, where each cast member gets their turn in the adulatory limelight. Maybe Walsh deserves this opportunity, but for me the praise that Walsh lavishes on his compadres is a little too sickly sweet. While they may all indeed by highly deserving of such praise, there isn't enough new meat to constitute another book about it.

While it is no means a bad book, I feel newcomers to the story would be better served by the more clinical dismantling of the Armstrong lie in 'From Lance to Landis'. For those who have followed the Armstrong debate from the beginning, this book adds nothing new.

My Alarm Clock - Wake up to the digital alarm clock app with sleep timer and current weather conditions

4.0 out of 5 stars Multi functional alarm clock, 29 Oct 2013
Excellent alarm and sleep audio functions. New clock face choices only add to the functionality. Only downside for me is that vendors should make it clearer that installing app also installs adware to the device (on free version anyway).

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Diameter too narrow for S4500 (30X lens), 14 Sep 2013
While the tube extension and filters physically fit the Finepix S4500 model that I have, the kit restricts the field of view through the lens at wider angles. I'd estimate (for a 35mm camera with a standard 50mm stop) that the field of view begins to become restricted from angles lower than 45mm or so. At start-up, when the lens is positioned as its widest angle, the field of view through the monitor is slightly larger than a (UK) 50p piece.

Mechanically, the kits works fine, although the contoured lens cap is a little fiddly to set up correctly. The 72m extention tube is attached to the camera body via two small allen key fixing screws and the polarising filter is on a rotating besel, making adjustment easy.

Unfortunately, the wide-angle portion of the camera is rendered unusable by the kit. As I find this section particularly useful for framing purposes, it means that - as far as I am concerned - the kit is not fit for purpose since it would c ontunually have to be removed and replaced - a time-consuming procedure that negates much of the benefit of having the filters in the first place. Therefore receives only one star from me.

It may well be that the lens construction for other magnifications in the same series may not have their field of views obstructed, therefore these comments should only apply to the S4500.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 7:24 PM GMT

Replacement Laptop AC Adapter 19v 3.1a ( 5.5 x 3.0 mm with smartpin Tip ) Fits Samsung N110 N120 N130 N140 N150 N210 N220 N310 N510 R20 R40 Q35 series Laptops and more

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product and service, 21 April 2012
Speedy service. Product exactly as described. Non-OEM product, but construction quality appears just as good as original - at a fraction of the cost. Have used now for a couple of months with no problems.

The Encyclopaedia Britannica, or, A dictionary of arts, sciences, and misc
The Encyclopaedia Britannica, or, A dictionary of arts, sciences, and misc

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, 16 Oct 2010
Just purchased this product a few hours ago - a complete waste of[...]! The text has obviously been through OCR software from scans of the original book(s). However, the process has been poorly performed. Much (dare I say, all) of the text-formatting has been lost and a significant proportion of the text is mis-transposed, making the result almost unreadable.

Here is a verbatim quote at random from the Kindle version: see if you can make head or tail of it...

"This people are always
booted ; and when a visit is made them, if they
happen to he without their boots, their guest must
wait till they put tin-::, Od. They never mir out of
doors without their
and their scrupulousness in this respect i* they
are always carried in
the more remarkable, their chairs."

And we're talking just about on every page.

Forget it!

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard)
Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 16 Oct 2010
Although the build-quality and design of the basic Kindle cover is fine, it does not warrant the price.

Handling the Kindle without a cover is tricky since most of the long leading-edges are covered with page flip buttons, so a cover is pretty much a requirement for everyday use. However, I can't help but think that Amazon missed a trick on the utility side. It would have been nice to have had perhaps a pocket for papers or a flip-out stand for viewing.

Anyone bringing out a cheaper alternative will destroy Amazon sales. Similar covers are available for many of my other electronic goods at a fraction of the cost - and a lot with more functionality. I suspect that Amazon may try to dissuade other manufacturers through their 'patent-pending' hinge mechanism which would almost certainly have to be copied due to the Kindle's construction.

I think that you really need a cover for the Kindle. But the Amazon one certainly leaves you feeling ripped off.

Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
by Graeme Obree

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Achievement, 18 Dec 2008
Being a keen Scottish cyclist since my schooldays, I remember Obree exploding on the cycling scene at the time. I saw the film of the book first on DVD and found it very entertaining (and I have to admit, inspiring, as well) and wanted to find out more, so bought the book. Of course, certain liberties were taken in the film version, but the book is more interesting for all that and fleshes out the bones of who Obree is better than any film could. If you found the book interesting and it left you with a desire to know more about the amazing man, the book should address that need.

I have one question for other readers, though. I'm living in the US, so have the American version. Please tell me that the UK version doesn't talk about 'soccer'. I'd like to buy a friend a copy, but want a version that talks about football, not soccer. I'll stump up the extra cost for a UK version if I know I'm getting one in 'proper English'.