Profile for coastalclassic > Reviews

Content by coastalclassic

coastalclassic

Easy Learning Irish Grammar (Collins Easy Learning Irish)
Easy Learning Irish Grammar (Collins Easy Learning Irish)
by Collins Dictionaries

3.0 out of 5 stars clear grammar poor binding, 11 May 2012
I am new to learning Irish and I am no linguist so I cannot tell you how good this book is in absolute terms. However, I can understand it so probably most will! One major defficiency - the binding. It is really poor - I am on page 50(of 250ish) and all 50 pages(25 leaves) have come out. Consideribg this is a reference book I do understand the publisher's decision on binding. I know the book is cheap but why not charge another 50p and do a decent job of the binding? I have just bought a sheet music book from Germany for about a £1 more and the book has stitched binding on high quality paper so why cannot Collins do better? Really poor, really annoying!!

Panasonic NA148VB3WGB 1400rpm Washing Machine 8kg Load 12 Programmes
Panasonic NA148VB3WGB 1400rpm Washing Machine 8kg Load 12 Programmes

3.0 out of 5 stars excellent but damaged, 1 May 2012
The machine itself deserves 5 stars - it is easy to operate and cleans the clothes very well. The build quality is pretty decent for a modern machine. Very impressed would buy another. However, the front of the machine was damaged but I did not notice this before I signed off the delivery (I have a very dark kitchen!). So the machine gets 5 stars but the supplier gets none! So double check the machine before the delivery is signed off!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 6:08 PM BST

Kent Brushes Handmade Combs Range Extra Large Size Coarse and Fine Comb for Women
Offered by My Beauty And Care

5.0 out of 5 stars great comb, 30 April 2012
I had heared about Kent's reputation and I am not dissappointed. Very well made and very comfortable to use.Perfectly fit for purpose. Do not hesitate!

Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach - piano - (HN 349)
Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach - piano - (HN 349)
by Johann Sebastian Bach
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars superb sheet music, 30 April 2012
This is the first G Henle Verlag Urtext edition I have purchased and i am completely impressed. The quality of the printing and binding is superb. I believe the company is noted for the quality of its printing - the music is printed on thick cream paper in jet black ink. The contrast is very good and the printing is very crisp and clear. It is also properly bound - 4 stitched sections glued into a high quality blue cover. It is not 'layflat' but not too far off!
Possibly not the cheapest but I do not begrudged a few extra pounds for such quality, especially when it will last many many years.

HOMEFRONT PREMIUM DOUBLE SIZE FULLY FITTED WASHABLE LUXURY FLEECE MATTRESS COVER DUAL CONTROL (INDIVIDUAL HEAT CONTROL FOR BODY & FEET)
Offered by Direct Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent blanket, 22 April 2012
This is the first dual control blanket I have purchased and I am completely pleased with it. The blanket is very well made and packaged. It arrived on time, but then I paid extra for next day postage! It fits a double bed perfectly and did not move in use and has a really comfortable fleecy top. The controls are well made,clear and easy to use - the powerleads are also long too! It heated up quickly and operated as described. I should have bought one years ago. Very impressed with it and will almost cetainly buy another!One or two other reviews mentioned the odd 'negative' I understand these but they did not bother me at all. This blanket is an excellent product representing excellent value for money.

The Art Of Spanish Guitar - A Method By Celino Romero [DVD]
The Art Of Spanish Guitar - A Method By Celino Romero [DVD]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful, 23 Jan 2012
a useful DVD but ultimately dissapointing. If you are a complete beginner and/or a fan of Celino this would be helpful. The DVD states it is the Romero method. As such you would a)expect it to be thorough and b)comprehensive. Unfortunately it is neither. No discussion of Barres, no thorough discussion of ligados,no discussion of articulation/dynamics or tone production. Discusses nail filing but cops out from a proper discussion because it is a 'difficult subject'! And so on and so on! The introduction to the video confirms this is the basic romero style - does not say this on the packing! And it is basic. However, it is not completely without merit. Celino does rightly emphasise good posture, quiet hands, slow practice, correct arm shifting, correct placing of the thumb, and the coverage of rasgueados I found pretty useful.

However, the biggest problem I have is this. The full Romero method obviously works because they are great guitarists. If this was a complete method and you followed it completey you may well become a very good guitarist if not a great one! However, what you have here is 10% of a successful method so it is merely a start nothing more. Further, all the Romeros obviously started when they were small children, and having great teachers from the start, could fully embrace the complete method.Whether this is the 'best' method for an adult learner is debatable - there are other emthods/approaches but this video does not in any way tell us why this method works better than other method.
Summary - useful for the beginner, a little bit thought provoking for the more advanced but not a lot more I am afraid.

Norton Internet Security 2012, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2012, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars good protection, 23 Jan 2012
I have a Vaio and this loaded fine, although it took far longer than the 2011 version. Unlike the 2011 version it did not ask you to uninstall previous versions of Norton so I had to double check I did not finish up with 2 versions. I finished up with 1 version only so the uninstall is now automatic. The protection does seem to be a bit quicker and machine does seem to be a bit quicker overall so I am happy! Also Amazon price is cheaper than renewing with Norton.

The Art of Spanish Guitar: A Method
The Art of Spanish Guitar: A Method
by Celino Romero

5.0 out of 5 stars comphrehensive, 10 Nov 2011
I have been self-studying the classical guitar for a few years and now realise that no single method is ever 'complete'. This is comprehensive and is worth buying - the photos, explanations and technical exercises are very clear and well thought out. Further the book progresses in difficulty, but each topic logically builds on the previous topics. There are other methods e.g Noad which are good and worth aquiring but this book will take you a long way down the road to profficiency.For any new, particularly adult learners, supplement this book with a few leassons! I know they can be expensive and it is often very difficult to get a good teacher, especially for an adult learner but they are important when first setting out because you can very quickly acquire bad habits - if acquired they will take ages to put right and involve a massive effort and may cause you physical damage! I wish I had done so!