Profile for Apollo > Reviews

Content by Apollo

Apollo (England)

Abercrombie & Fitch Raquette River Shorts Mens in Green sizes 28,30,31,32,33,34,36W (31w)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as described, 16 Mar 2013
The description said 'zip fly' ... they are NOT zip fly.
I hate button flies, they are going straight back.

RIP CURL Seattle Stripe Boy's Jacket
RIP CURL Seattle Stripe Boy's Jacket

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm yet lightweight jacket, 5 Feb 2013
Fantastic jacket; you can wear this with just a t-shirt underneath and still be very warm outside.
Amazing price too!

How to Think Like a Mathematician: A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics
How to Think Like a Mathematician: A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics
by Dr Kevin Houston

2.0 out of 5 stars Without solutions, the book is incomplete!, 20 Aug 2012
I decided that I must write a review after working through about a third of the book. The book is well-written and pitched at about the right level for first/second year undergraduates - however, the absence of solutions is intensely irritating.

After completing the exercises for the chapters concerning logical implications (ch 7,8 & 9), I find myself thinking that I probably got most/all(?) of the answers correct - but I'll never be sure. This is SO unsatisfactory! Just to add to your sense of unease, these chapters stress how easy it is to be fooled by interpreting/representing natural [English] language. Furthermore, the examples don't shed light on all the exercises.

I don't mind investing effort in thinking through the exercises, but, at the end of the day, I WANT TO KNOW IF I REALLY DO GET IT!!!

VERDICT: Don't buy it yet. When the book is complete, but it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2013 2:18 PM GMT

Primigi Youth Urbano Casual Shoe Marrone/Fango 4907100  5.5 UK
Primigi Youth Urbano Casual Shoe Marrone/Fango 4907100 5.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic shoe, 4 Oct 2011
These have become my favorite shoes! They are very comfortable and easily adjust around the shape of your foot.
I was rather lucky to find the right size heavily discounted ... I think the full price may be a bit too high.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice style, but a slim fit, 4 Oct 2011
Generally I'm very pleased with this jacket - it has just the right balance of fashion and practicality. It is rather a slim-fit jacket though; if you're particularly broad-shouldered, you may find it a bit too snug.

Studio 247 @ Royal T - Mens T-Shirt Striped - White and Black - Size Small S
Studio 247 @ Royal T - Mens T-Shirt Striped - White and Black - Size Small S

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and good fit, 3 July 2010
This t-shirt is comfortable and matches with jeans or shorts.
I like stripey t-shirts like this - perhaps a wider range of colours would be a good idea.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2010 12:42 AM BST

Michel Thomas Foundation Course: French (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Foundation Course: French (Michel Thomas Series)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as well as educational, 20 Mar 2010
There's something rather enchanting about the dialog created between Michel Thomas and his students on the recording; I find I can listen to (and participate in) this sort of language lesson for much longer periods of time than other similar courses I've tried. I actually look forward to the next time I'll be listening to the recording (partly, it must be confessed, because of the way Michel deals with struggling students in the studio - quite amusing sometimes, but always done with "warmth").

I've tried to learn French before and therefore already know about the grammar, etc. - so I'm not sure whether these courses are enough by themselves - but they are fun!

Breakthrough French 2: Euro Edition (Book & CD)
Breakthrough French 2: Euro Edition (Book & CD)
by Stephanie Rybak

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really suitable for independent home study, 28 April 2009
Generally, this course is quite good, but it is best used when it forms the centrepiece of a proper french class; it depends quite heavily on authentic conversations from native speakers, and some of them are spoken very fast with a lot of "distortion" due to local dialect. However, there are several exercises that have no associated transcripts (although they do have answers to questions about the conversation in the exercise). This can be extremely annoying if you are trying to use the book independently by yourself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2012 10:11 AM BST