Profile for D Calvert > Reviews

D Calvert

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Broken Skies
Broken Skies

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning YA sci-fi read that has definitely become one my favourites, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Broken Skies (Kindle Edition)
For me, you can't get much better than an alien and human falling in love story. They are always monumentally epic. So you can only imagine how excited I was to get my teeth stuck into this book. To sum it all up, Broken Skies follows Jax in the search of her brother, after he has been taken by the seemingly peaceful although very bigoted aliens, with the help of none other but Lir, a left behind handsome E'rikon. So really it was already clear on how genius this sci-fi love story would be just from reading the blurb alone.

There were so many times within this book that I just had to stop, take a breather and then carry on because there was just so much action, so much riveting storyline that I felt that my brain was spinning trying to take it all in. But this was a great feeling because not once did I get bored or uninterested in what was going on. This book had my full attention from start to finish. I was completely enamored with it.

It is hard to narrow down the things that I love about this book into one perfect and simple review without giving too much away. But if I had to it would be strength and determination these characters project. They are living in a world where the slightest shift of balance would cause an all out war. They are on the borderline of conflict yet that does not stop them from putting everything aside to help one and other. It shows true character growth from both main characters as both Jax and Lir have to overcome their personal dilemmas in order to help each other out. I just love that about their relationship, how it shows the honest realism of burgeoning couples and brings about their flaws just as much as their strengths.

All in all, Broken Skies uses genius mystery, beautiful blossoming romance and a heart defying adventure to entrap readers into the series and not let them go until every last page has been read. The characters made me feel alive with anticipation on what is next to come and broke me with stunning twists that I just did not see coming. I seriously cannot wait for the next installment and I would recommend to anyone who loves a little alien and human romance that creates enough havoc and mystery to pull you to the edge of your seat with wonder. A stunning YA sci-fi read that has definitely become one my favourites

Review originally posted on: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/broken-skies.html

Pushing the Limits (A Pushing the Limits Novel)
Pushing the Limits (A Pushing the Limits Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pushing the Limits is a brilliant and heart-wrenching contemporary, 12 Feb. 2015
I can't tell you how much I loved this story. I absolutely loved the drama and sweet romance that encompasses everything. Noah and Echo had this insane chemistry from the get go and although I could tell that it was obvious that they would fall in love it didn't stop me from wanting to read about the journey. Pushing the limits is the first book in a standalone series, from Katie McGarry, that follows different couples as they struggle through their problems and fall in love. It sounds very fluffy but there is a lot of deep and meaningful points in the book that make you see how damaged, yet strong, the young characters are and how much they need each other. It was brilliant and had all the qualities that are able to pull you in and keep you gripped.

Just like every young adult contemporary you have the misunderstood boy and girl falling in love and pushing against the odds. But what I loved most about this book was the character of Noah. He was so strong and cute yet was hidden by this bad boy persona, which was why I loved how misunderstood and protective he was to the people he cared for. It was just what you needed from the hero of the story.

However when it came to Echo there were some things that I did not agree with, I felt that Noah was overshadowed and that Echo was somehow forcing you to like her more. Having said that she was still sarcastic and witty and so strong after what had happened to her, which is definitaly what I look for in a YA contemporary novel because it just adds something to the story. So there was very little that I did not agree with when it came to the characters.

Overall, Pushing the Limits is a brilliant and heart-wrenching contemporary that mixes young adult fluff with deep and scary issues to bring about and beautiful romance that makes you smile and cry in equal measures. Just when you think things are going smoothly a dip in the road pushes it off its happily ever after and has to work it to get it back on track. It never let me breathe for one second which is the main reason it kept me entirely gripped by its contents. I absolutely loved it and I cannot wait to continue on with the rest of the series.

Review originally posted at: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/pushing-limits.html

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
by Matthew Quick

4.0 out of 5 stars A very compelling and significant read., 12 Feb. 2015
I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this book, all I can say was I knew it would definitely be emotional and tackle a incredibly difficult subject. So I can tell you how surprised I was when I discovered how quick yet really weighty read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock actually is. I felt like I was carrying Leonard's emotional tale on my shoulders and it didn't let me go until the very last page. It was not what I expected at all, yes I knew it would cover dark and upsetting issues like suicide I just was not prepared for how much this book really delves into somber and desolate issues. Which is why it turned out to be a very compelling read.

The book takes place within a short amount of time, around two days, and uses many flashbacks to explain Leonard's decision. This writing technique is one that I absolutely adored. It shows how fast paced the book is as it squeezes in every little detail you need to get a better sense of Leonard, within such a short time, yet I still felt as if I knew Leonard and understood him. There was also so many hints of why Leonard wanted such drastic revenge on his former best friend but it always kept me waiting until the very end as to his true motive. A motive which in turn turned out to be truly dreadful that I couldn't quite conceive it. It made me feel so sorry for Leonard but also surprisingly Asher as well, showing that there are so many layers to this story that I didn't quite know how to react.

Basically if your looking for a book that is doused in sadness and filled with loneliness but has such a compelling storyline and heartbreaking characters, that can't help but feel moved by it then you should definitely give Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock a go. Don't be put off by the dark issues it revolves around because even though it carries a sad atmosphere throughout it, it does show the strength people need to overcome it. All in all, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is a such a significant novel that stays with you for days after and I would recommend it to anyone to give it a go.

Review originally posted on: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/forgive-me-leonard-peacock.html

Fire in the Woods
Fire in the Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant novel that really awakens your heart and your emotions!, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fire in the Woods (Kindle Edition)
Oh wow, where do I begin with this book. I guess I should start with the premise. The whole alien and human romance thing, strangely enough, wasn't the first thing that jumped out to me with this book. The thing that really pulled me in was the idea of this 'genocide-sized secret', then it was the romance because who can't help but love a little romance between an alien and a human. I really liked the idea of mystery and secrets that would surround it because I felt that it would add a little action that is always needed in a science fiction novel. So that is basically what pulled me into this book (that and the cover because seriously it's so pretty) and I was really overwhelmed how much I actually enjoyed this book. It took over my life and I couldn't, for the life of me, put it down.

I'm not going to lie, I was expecting a lot when it came to this novel because of my love of alien books being so high (You can thank Jennifer L. Armentrout and her Lux series for that). So there were a few things that didn't sit right with me, the main one being how easy it was to guess David's secret, but they didn't really effect the overall happiness I had when reading this book. I loved the determination of Jess in her quest to help, along with the absolute innocence David had with the things he was experiencing. It was so cute and the characters were well written enough that I was really enticed by their chemistry and affect they had on each other, it was sweet yet sometimes maddeningly frustrating when they wouldn't see what was right in front of them.

All in all there wasn't much that I didn't love about Fire in the Woods. It was fast-paced and witty writing with brilliant characters that crept past your walls and made you love them. It's a brilliant novel that really awakens your heart and your emotions and putting your faith in these two characters into succeeding in their quest for everything to work out happily for them. I for one cannot wait for the second book in the series, Ashes in the Sky, so I can finally find out what happens next and get stuck into the story once again.

Review originally posted at: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/fire-in-woods.html

Dare to Kiss (The Maxwell Series Book 1)
Dare to Kiss (The Maxwell Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute and fluffly read that has really meaningful characters! Loved it!, 7 Jan. 2015
Dare to Kiss follows Lacey as she stuggles to cope with her PTSD and threats that joining an all boys baseball team produce. It is the first book in the Maxwell series and was a fast paced and fluffy read that completely gripped me so much so that I found it hard to put down. Yes, there were times when I felt that it was a little cheesy and perhaps slightly predictable. Yet I had this encouraging feeling that was pushing me to finish it as I just had to see how it ended.

As I mentioned before there were times when the story became a little predictable and I did feel that sometimes Lacey would get slightly teen angsty about certain things but none of this took away the cute and fluffy feelings that I was getting from this novel. The story was very fast paced and while there were times when I felt that it would jump from on problem to another or that Lacey and Kade had the cheesy insta love, that is always present in new adult contemporaries, It still didn't take away how much I was enjoying this book. It was just so easy to get lost in the characters and story. It was just what I needed and I had the strange urge not to put it down, which lead to me reading the book in one sitting.

When it came to the characters within the novel, I couldn't help but love each and every one of them. TheyI loved the Maxwell brother's bond and how close they were. Not to mention I loved Lacey's relationship with her dad. It was flawed but it showed much more deeper connections and how grief can help connect people but also change people. No one was perfect in the story, they all had their flaws but that just added to drama and made the story a lot darker but also more realistic. It was a unique way to connect the characters and I loved seeing each of them grow throughout it. all had their problems which made them more realistic and they all had a really strong connection to each other.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and it will forever be special to me, just because it helped pull me out of my slump. The characters, while predictable, were the best part because each one showed a deeper meaning then others I have previously read before. The only thing that sorta stumped my love for this book was how it would be a tad over dramatic at times and sometimes jump from one drama to the next. Like there wasn't any time for these characters to be happy. Not to mention the relationship between Lacey and Kade was a little insta-love but then what do you expect from a new adult contemporary. All in all, Dare to Kiss was a highly cheesy but scrumptiously sweet read that make you feel all mushy while also educate you on the troubles of grief and dangers of PTSD. I loved it and will definitely be continuing on with the series to see how the relationship unfolds.

Review originally posted at: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/dare-to-kiss.html

The Distance Between Us
The Distance Between Us

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit rushed but still a cute contemporary, 17 Oct. 2014
The distance between us follows Caymen Meyers and her observations of people, in particular rich people and their arrogant ways. This book was okay, I just wasn't completely thrilled with it. There were moments when I thought that it was cute and funny but mostly I was just underwhelmed by it.

To start with I didn't really click with the characters, Caymen seemed really rude and in her own way arrogant to me by the way she looked down on the rich people without giving them a proper chance. While Xander to me didn't really seem very loveable in the beginning but he did grow on me more towards the end. Out of the two of them I definitely preferred Xander because at least he was a little bit more mysterious, like I couldn't really get a clear idea on his intentions so I was more interested in him. When it came to their relationship I just wasn't thrilled by it and was not cheering for them to get together. It seemed very rushed and under developed for a contemporary read, so I felt like there was not a lot of thought behind the characters.

Overall I liked the sarcasm and wit that the story had and there were times when I did think the characters were cute, but I thought that the story in itself needed more development.

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3)
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3)
by Rick Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars ... when you think that the series can't get any better The Mark of Athena runs in, 17 Oct. 2014
Just when you think that the series can't get any better The Mark of Athena runs in. The whole book is just like the others, adventure after adventure, action after action but this one has an underlining quality of seriousness that brings the book to a whole new level. Not saying that the other two weren't serious but with this one you feel it more. It is the middle book, the middle of the big quest and you can really feel the danger that is about to happen.

I loved the fact that Annabeth and Percy were reunited, in fact I kept re-reading that scene over and over again because it was just too perfect. Plus the whole group of demigods finally meeting and starting the quest was also perfect. I simply just loved it.

All in all this book screamed intense action and perfect characters. It seemed to me that everything just clicked into place and we were finally seeing the dangers of what this quest and prophecy actually holds. It was just a brilliant book in a fantastic series.

The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus Book 4)
The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of your seat reading!, 17 Oct. 2014
This is the last book before The Blood of Olympus and it is a stunner. Oh wow there were so many things that happened in this book that I just didn't expect. After the Mark of Athena ended I was thinking that things could not get worse than that ending but they did...and it was great. I was shocked and stunned and gripped and wanting more from the very start to the very end of this book.

I loved that there were characters that appeared in the previous books briefly mentioned, in some cases like Grover, but also sort of a main character like Bob. I loved Bob he was so cute. I also loved how we got more information from Nico and eveything made much more sense when his secret came out. It was brilliant.

Just like the rest of the series this book was completely and totally brilliant. It grabbed you from the first page and did not let you go until the very end. It was fantastic with its twists that I just did not see coming and it really makes you excited and impatient for the last book in the series because you just cannot wait to find out what will happen with these heroes.

Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero
Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero
by Rick Riordan

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically this book is the start to the amazing heroes of Olympus series and is completely and totally ..., 17 Oct. 2014
Basically this book is the start to the amazing heroes of Olympus series and is completely and totally brilliant. It is absolutely action-packed and fast paced from the very first pages. I was sucked into the mystery of where is Percy and I was gripped by the quest that the three new heroes set upon.

I have to admit though I did miss the old characters and I was totally not satisfied on the absence of Percy. It was always in the back of my mind so much so that I couldn't completely give it my full attention. Even though I get the genius of starting the series with new characters, I just missed the old ones a little bit. Having said that I did instantly like the new characters and I even fell in love with Leo and his unhelpful sarcasm and humor (it reminded me of Percy). He definitely joined my top favourite characters.

All in all The Lost Hero was an amazing start that literally left you wanting more and reminded you of the brilliance and genius of Rick Riordan's writing. The characters were great but the story is where the book really shined. It kept you gripped and bouncing in anticipation of where the events will go in the future, literally leaving you in the edge of your seat and awaiting for The Son of Neptune.

Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune
Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the Heroes of Olympus Series, 17 Oct. 2014
Finally Percy is back, along with two new demigods, on a quest to once again help save the world. Again, I loved this book! Everything about it just screamed brilliant. The characters, story and world were still so perfect I could not get enough of it.

I felt that there was a lot more background information in this one compared to The Lost Hero. Camp Jupiter, the Roman camp, was finally revealed and it was so different to its Greek counterpart but it was still just as brilliant. It was clear where the differences in the two sets of demigods lie. The Romans were organised and structured, which was reflected in its camp, whereas the Greeks were a lot more free and wild. I loved this because it gave us much more information on how the Romans acted and lived.

Overall this book gave so much more information than the first book and I felt the connection with the characters a lot more, I don't know if this is because we got to read from Percy's perspective again and are familiar with it a lot more than the new perspectives we had in The Lost Hero. Not to mention it was still as action-packed and fast-paced and immediately gripping as any Rick Riordan Book so it gave you a lot more freedom to enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5