Profile for Mr. Graham Cammack > Reviews

Content by Mr. Graham Cammack

Mr. Graham Cammack "Bearded thundergod" (Wallasey)

Absolute Pleasure
Absolute Pleasure
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep., 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Absolute Pleasure (Audio CD)
I've seen this band about eight times now, and they're always onstage just as they're scheduled. I applaud this. I saw a man wearing a cape on the stage as well. That was pretty cool. Bye.

Queen Rocks
Queen Rocks
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh come on. It's Queen. Rocking!, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Queen Rocks (Audio CD)
When I was a kid my dad used to take me out on the trucks with him to numerous parts of the UK. He worked for a large motor company and was a huge fan of Queen.
This CD reminds me of being five years to ten years old, singing along with my dad and trucking down the motorway across England while high fiving to Queen. I love it. You should love it too.

It's Queen, and they're rocking out! Go listen to every song on this on the internet, then buy it because it's great!!!!!

Black Cascade [VINYL]
Black Cascade [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars You know more Black Metal Tropes than you think....., 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Black Cascade [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I always thought of Black Metal as this dumb, theatrical mess, whose customs and parameters were dictated by a select few Norwegian men in dodgy makeup who were the most Trve and Kvlt of them all (voted in by a jury of their peers, Grimthatch, Vilefedkch and Umlaut especially!). For the longest time I was at best nonplussed and at worst completely hostile to it.

I was wrong. I was so very, very, Odin insulting, Wotan slapping wrong. I am sorry for that.

Wolves in the Throne Room are more than a Black Metal band. They're a post rock, ambient, doom and sludge band, and they're amazing at every single genre they pick up.

Black Metal bands (yeah, you, Dark Throne) may try to coax you in with the whole "we are the living spirit and sound of the frorest, listen to our snare, It's been shit for a while and now we will make u Kvlt xoxoxooxoxoxoxox" and Burzum may keep you coming back for more with the whole "Ya vell I'm making classical now, If you don't like then you're no longer Kvlt and totally H1PZZtuRR".
I couldn't care less. This is majestic music of the forest and about the forest that makes sense when listened to for the first or 101st time. It's awesome. WitTR have a way with riffs that just tickle me pickle, and I can't fau;t that.

Oh man I can't do this justice, just buy it.

Portal 2 Companion Cube Ice Cube Tray
Portal 2 Companion Cube Ice Cube Tray
Offered by The Gift Oasis LTD.
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget putting music in your food, get some science in your drinks., 25 May 2013
I'm a massive Portal fan. I love it. The dialogue, the gameplay, the smell of the manual when you open the box.... Everything. It's like Douglas Adams was still around and was able to write a game that was actually playable.
If you've not played Portal or Portal 2, then you should. Not because I tell you, but because you're a human. Humans enjoy portal. It's true.
Once you've finished a game you may like to reflect on your time at the enrichment centre with a stiff drink. Which should contain ice of some sort.

That's where these glorious cubes come in. They make your drink cold as well as providing a reminder of your one lost love in the game, the Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube.
Reminisce as the tiny, frozen replicas of your former one true pal slowly melt away before you, and stare wistfully into the middle distance while mumbling along with "still alive". Or just put them in your drinks to impress your geek friends.

Seriously though, the ice tray is made of good quality silicone, which is very durable and holds its shape well. The ice cubes are about one and a half inches squared, and they are quite detailed. It's a quality product and I'm over the moon with it.

Cheers!

Bornagen Beatles - The Beatles Greatest Hits
Bornagen Beatles - The Beatles Greatest Hits
Price: 3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars One star for the misleading packaging., 22 Mar 2013
The Beatles were always known for being cheeky, but not in the way that these folks are.

This isn't the Beatles. It's a cover band.

What I will say is that they sound pretty damn close! If you didn't know better you might think that these songs were early demos.
I really can't think of any use for this cd. If you want to hear these songs, go buy the Beatles' albums. If you want to hear the songs live, there's hundreds of cover bands.

The cover of this album looks like it's deliberately meant to mislead people into thinking its a Beatles compilation. That's not cool. That's taking advantage of people.

Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad little entitled people......, 2 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
With 1-star reviews for this game being all over the site, I thought I would give a more balanced view. I do beleive that the game merits five stars, but would be compelled to rate it as such anyway, seeing as one star reviews are unfortunately bringing the rating down so much. It's undeserved, and incredibly narrow minded of these people.

Having ploughed over 38 hours into my first playthrough of Mass Effect 3 I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great game! If you bother to read this review I'll try and keep it spoiler-free and outline just why ME3 is well worth your time (as well as 24 quid, which is just over half what a lot of us paid for it, reason in itself to give it a go).

The first thing that hit me upon loading the game was a lack of an install. Usually PS3 games have an install between 500mb and 5gb (I'm looking at you, Lost Planet 2. Unforgiveable!), Mass Effect 3 clocks in at a slim 13mb. Bioware chose to have short pauses to load new levels, areas etc and they are particularly well hidden. They don't interrupt the flow of gameplay and are generally quite painless. Well done, geeks!

On loading the game its undeniably very well polished and all looks exceptional on a nice TV. Framerates are smooth on the whole, colours are vivid without being gaudy and animations are fluid and- most of all- believable, and sound is well defined and very well mixed. A LOT of work went into the overall feel of the visuals and it really shows. While not being a large departure, it's certainly a step up from ME2 (which was quite a looker anyway).

If you need to know about the core gameplay, it's mainly a third person cover-based shooter with tactical elements provided by giving orders to your squad and tech/biotic (magic, basically) powers. It's nothing too groundbreaking and yes, we have seen it before, but it's still such fun that I personally didn't mind. This is for a very good reason: Characters.

If there's one thing this series excells at, it's characterization. The various species' and races are all both believeable and interesting. I found myself reading through the vasious codex entries about various planets and races for hours. The level of depth is simply staggering, and for my money has never been bettered. Most films, books and TV shows would struggle to create such a well thought out and interesting universe, and this is something which Bioware should be commended for. While playing this game I didn't think of certain characters as just a bunch of polygons, they were living, breathing creatures who you begin to care about. That is not only the mark of good storytelling, but for the medium of games is nothing short of staggering.

Of course, all of this lush character and idiosyncratic detail would mean nothing if there was no plot, and luckily the game has it in spades. I'm not referring to the ending, which has been well discussed here, but for the fact that Mass Effect 3 IS the ending. Whether or not the last ten minutes float your boat (I for one subscribe to the "truth" idea, and hopefully Bioware will be backing that up) you will spend a very long time playing this. While you do, look forward to having the choices you make have real consequences, as you see crewmembers, friends, partners and entire races feel the effects of your actions. These decisions can weigh heavy on your shoulders, I personally sat slack-jawed for 10 minutes trying to figure out whether to sacrifice an old friend to save many more lives, or to have the chance to essentially give life to a whole new race. Once which could be an asset to the war effort, or the end of it. THIS is what makes Mass Effect 3 a five star game, not entitled teenagers whining about the final 10 minutes.

The main plot device works incredibly well in that you always feel hunted, chased towards the conclusion, without being rushed along into the final battle. The reapers are a worthy adversary, and you will want your combined force as strong as possible in order to defeat them.

That's all I want to say on the matter, as it is important to go into this game with your own ideas, and make decisions as you would normally. The more personal the experience the better, and I hope that after reading this you enjoy the game as much as I did. As interactive storytelling it really is head and shoulders above its peers, and as an action game it really is a lot of fun.

Moving Pictures
Moving Pictures
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars prog and fun together at last!, 2 Feb 2004
This review is from: Moving Pictures (Audio CD)
Progressive rock seems to be a snide term for anything which seems to be easily misunderstood even though this is one of the best rock albums i own. Its actually fun! I mean ok so youve got all your nu metal clonbes clogging up the scene at the moment but they wont be around forever so while this goes on why not stick this up yer stereo and wait for the backlash to begin, trust me geddy lee is nothing like whiny john davis! As a concept album this actually works. 1) the songs are loosely based around the theme of being observed by something wether some totalitarian rule on red barchetta or as in a fictional character familiar to most as on tom sawyer (the albums best song) 2)theres no 20 minute epics on here, the longest song on here is under 10 minutes (oh come on meatloaf has had number ones longer than that (stop laughing at the back) and it never did him any harm)and finally 3) this ai actually a fun album, prog rock you can sing along to! The musicianship on here is somewhat exellent, this is rush after all, and the overall feel is of a band trying out something a little different, trimming the fat off of their previous works to come out with something a little more eighties (this was their 1st album of that decade) needless to say they were successful. In short its not a masterpeice but as a short but fulfilling album its more than enough to please

Load
Load
Price: 7.60

1.0 out of 5 stars im gona puke, 26 Dec 2003
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
All i hear when i listen to this garbage is cliff burton spinning in his grave, if you think middle aged men with eyeliner is cool, go for it, if you think a once-great band selling the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out is cool, then good for you, but if you think this peice of indulgent toss has a place in the world of metal, rock, even pop then think again. I disappear? this is worse, the production is too polished, its like they just kept throwing hundred dollar bills at them while they were recording. Then came the napster thing. Dammit its just horrible, its like listening to one song, one very long boring song. If youre new to metallica go get master of puppets and ride the lightning now, if you own them get justice.. if you have all those then get out more, just dont insult your own intelligence with this, your neighbours will be annoyed, not cuz youre playing it too loud but cuz they live necxt door to a fool.

Make Yourself: Special Tour Edition
Make Yourself: Special Tour Edition
Price: 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 9 Dec 2003
ok its 1999 and im in a noisecore group, the nsames dirty sdanchez fella an were gonna blow all this nu metal garbage away! our guitarist andy, comes into rehearsal an plays the intro chords to pardon me while we tune up, i start singigng along, well we played that song about 4 or 5 times in our sets and it always got a good reception, why? its incredible! brandon boyd has such a good voice i want to hurt him! he makes me look bad! and the rest of this album is just as good, its not metal, its not punk, its not even rock. you know something i would call this soul music. simply because it is executed with such conviction as to make any negative comments unfounded, nayone can relate to it, anyone can love this album as much as i do, it just needs a chance. its 2003 now- nearly 2004, and i still love this album, i still love brandons voice, his words, the light and shade on here, the everything which makes it a classic. buy this album, give it to everyuone you know, do the world a favour. make yourself love this.