Profile for Sarah S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
British Ghost Stories: 101+ True British Ghost Stories
British Ghost Stories: 101+ True British Ghost Stories

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably terrible, 4 Jun. 2016
Utterly appalling. Unreadable, insulting gibberish. What are Amazon thinking, selling this rubbish in good faith? Shame on you. For goodness sake, do not spend ANYTHING on this idiocy. Furious! Deserves minus ten stars, but i could only get my review to record by giving a star.....I'll go and stick my head under a cold tap now. But DAMN.

True Hauntings - Real Stories of Personal Experiences With The Paranormal Vol. 3 (True Hauntings- Real Stories of Personal Experienc)

1.0 out of 5 stars Insultingly bad, 13 Feb. 2016
Terrible. Just....terrible. I resent having even spent this small amount of money on this rubbish. Avoid.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate!, 30 Aug. 2014
One of the best light nostalgic reads you'll ever encounter. I have two paper copies of this title as well as the Kindle version, just to be sure I'll never be without. I envy those setting out to read Miss Pettigrew for the first time ! One disappointment though- there are an awful lot of typos, extremely surprising for a title under the Persephone banner. Otherwise a perfect delight.

The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story
The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story

2.0 out of 5 stars Boggle your mind...., 15 Jan. 2014
I bought this title having seen an account of the couple's experiences on the tv series 'Paranormal Witness'. I was impressed by their sincerity, and intrigued enough to want to know more.
Having read the book, I'm still impressed by the reported phenomena, but some aspects of this account beggar belief.
In particular, Debra's attitude to so many of the occurrences in her home- and her attitude to her husband, who was seemingly being systematically tortured before her eyes, whilst she built her relationship with the ghost, 'Sallie'.

Usually, it's the sceptical husband who dismisses and ignores the concerns of his wife in these situations- but Debra is already a believer, and one who takes a staggeringly laid back attitude to objects- and spouses- being set fire to with giddy abandon by an unseen force, amongst other tricks. And all this with a very young baby in the house.

The writing style is fairly unemotional and unsensationalist, which was a relief, but hard to square with Debra's willingness to put the whole story in the media on numerous occasions, despite her husband's discomfort.

Yes, this book has some genuinely frightening parts, but for myself, the growing frustration i felt on behalf of this family's helpless members- the baby, the unfortunate cat, and seemingly the husband Tony- eclipsed the fear.

The Mammoth Book of New Terror: All new edition (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of New Terror: All new edition (Mammoth Books)

3.0 out of 5 stars Tweaks needed, 21 Dec. 2013
Excellent stories, some truly original and pretty chilling work. However, the experience, sadly, was marred by poor proofreading- many of the words run together, and typos generally abound. Otherwise a real bargain.

A Thorn in Their Side - Hilda Murrell Threatened Britain's Nuclear State. She Was Brutally Murdered. This is the True Story of her Shocking Death

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book., 19 Nov. 2013
I, too, am very familiar with Shrewsbury and the town now seems haunted and vaguely inimical at every turn. Green's account of his long struggle to find justice both for his murdered aunt, and latterly for the hapless young man convicted of her killing, is the stuff of twenty-first century nightmare. This book is a testament to two modern heroes who were prepared to give up everything in their lives for the sake of something bigger than themselves, in the face of the greatest possible opposition, cowardly intimidation and cruelty. I recommend this book with all my outraged heart.

The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries Book 12)
The Magus of Hay (Merrily Watkins Mysteries Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet., 8 Nov. 2013
Mr Rickman has done it again. Here I am once more at ten to five in the morning, bleary-eyed and blown away by story-telling genius. The magnificent backdrop of Hay- on- Wye gives both class and momentum to this latest page-turner featuring Merrily Watkins, exorcist vicar. I'm not going to give a synopsis as frankly my eyes are crossing, and you've already read what's needful above. All you need now is to know that the book is fantastic, magical, beautifully crafted, chilling in its depiction of evil both corporeal and intangible, and you'll need to clear your decks of other business before you start reading because it's very, very hard to stop.

Fortean Times It Happened to Me Volume 6
Fortean Times It Happened to Me Volume 6
by Fortean Times

5.0 out of 5 stars most excellent, 2 Nov. 2013
I love these magbooks. Absolutely no messing about in them, the contributors are level headed, articulate people who simply recount their experiences, and what experiences they are....always something different and unexpected. Truly these books supply nourishing food for thought; my only complaint is that there aren't enough of them, and they're not 500 pages long. More please.

Extreme Hauntings: Britain's Most Terrifying Ghosts
Extreme Hauntings: Britain's Most Terrifying Ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 17 Sept. 2013
This addition to the ranks of paranormal commentary is a measured and non-sensational work, and the authors take care not to reach for easy superlatives and stock responses to the cases they report. However, many of the cases, in particular the Enfield poltergeist and the Bluebell Hill phantom hitch hiker are both well chronicled already; I felt I'd learnt nothing new from these accounts. But fair do's, the book sets out to examine extreme cases and both certainly fall into this category.

All told, an extremely well written and gripping book, which manages the not-always-easy task of combining a professional approach with wide readership appeal. I'd be interested to read a book by the authors that investigated newer, less publicised cases as I feel that their style would make for a great contribution to the field. More please.

Dance On My Grave (Red Fox young adult books)
Dance On My Grave (Red Fox young adult books)

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 10 May 2013
I first read this book in my teens, attracted to it as it was set in my hometown, but not expecting too much as it was outside of my usual reading remit as a snarling adolescent.
To my great surprise, I loved it, recommended it to all my friends, and kept my copy until it mysteriously went missing at uni. I was delighted to find it available on Kindle.

The narrator, Hal, is hugely engaging and articulate, and his progress through love, then grief, madness, and finally self- awareness and hope is still resonant today in my own life, and Mr Chambers is a storyteller of excellence. If you know of a sensitive teen who can appreciate a no-holds-barred, intelligent and comic read, you'll find yourself extremely popular if you make them a gift of this book. I can't stress enough how world-enlarging this well-crafted tale will be to them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3