Profile for Rachel > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Amendments
Amendments

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Amendments (Kindle Edition)
I was asked by the author to review this book after recieiving a free copy.

I really liked the idea of this book - having tow opportunities to change something in your life/past - as I spent a lot of my youth wondering what would have happened to my life if something had been different, and what I could change in my past if I could. This story focuses on Emelia and her sister Finola, as well as their friend Gabe, and how the amendments that Emelia chooses (or feels she has to choose), impacts on the rest of their lives.

The story itself bring up many different questions - do you love someone enough to go back and change things for them? Is your future mapped out for you to begin with and no matter how many changes you make the outcome is always inevitable? and this is what I enjoyed most about the story - it actually left things unanswered, but many of these questions are philosophical ones and difficult to approach and discus as no-one really knows. It kept you wanting to read more though and I liked to ease of the writing style.

I personally would have liked to know more about the background of the ideas to the amendments - how they came about, what the different colours of the envelopes meant as you only got an idea of one or two. This didn't take away from the story though and it was still very readable and easy to understand, with lots of plot twists and interesting characters to keep you reading.

Stress City : A Fairytale Gone Wrong
Stress City : A Fairytale Gone Wrong

4.0 out of 5 stars Escapism for the adult., 3 Mar. 2014
I was approached by the author of this book to read it and give and give an honest review.

It was a book I enjoyed immensely and I am liking more and more the fantasy type books and seem to be reading more of them. The book started out without any fantasy aspect that I could see, with people simply getting on with their everyday lives (even if some of them seem a little on the exaggerated form).

It then very quickly changed from quite a slow moving first few chapters which set the scene and location of the rest of the book – whilst hinting at previous problems that the town and its inhabitants had experienced – to the introduction of witches, living dolls and other mystical figures from fairytales and Celtic law. I had to re-read the chapters where this occurred as I missed it and became a little confused (maybe because I read in bed and am often tired), but when I had re-read things became clear and easy to link together. However, the fast paced action did not stop and the book moved very quickly through plots and worlds with plotlines and characters mixing together.

The book used a lot of Celtic/Scottish references and I must admit I did find myself reading different characters voices in accents in my head which I do not often do and I felt that this added to the humour of the book. I found it very funny and the idea of the more idiot like characters being the proposed ‘heroes’ simply added to the wit of the overall plot.

I did feel like it ended a little abruptly, without tying up the ends but after turning the next few pages it gave a list of the next books in the series so it makes more sense. Therefore do not be concerned if you feel like it ends too. It just fires up the imagination for what may be coming next. I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the sequels.

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors
The Woman Who Walked Into Doors

2.0 out of 5 stars Grim Reading, 20 Jan. 2014
I can't make my mind up about this book or not as to whether I enjoyed it. The story was depressing - about an alcoholic woman who is beaten frequently by her husband. It chops and changes from the past to the present describing her life before meeting her husband and after, almost trying to explain why he is like he is and why he committed certain crimes. I feel as though she blamed her past on why she is like she is and accepts no culpability for it, as this is all due to other people and the way she was brought up. In the same sense she doesn't seem to be able to accept responsibility for her drug addict son either. There is no happy ending in this book (although I am not sure there was meant to be), and while i'm sure it gives a relatively accurate portrayal as life as an alcoholic it made grim reading.

Possession: A Romance (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions)
Possession: A Romance (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions)

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Not Sure..., 20 Jan. 2014
I read this to see what all of the hype was about and initially I couldn't see it. I found myself skimming through chapters and passages and I occasionally couldn't see when it had changed time zones. However, I am writing this a few weeks after finishing it and I find that the story remains with me and in my opinion that is the sign of a good book. The story was interesting in places but at times it was tedious and I found many of the characters unlikeable, greedy and self-serving. The plot line was initially very simple, but then developed many layers which were difficult to keep track of in places. The language was very emotive and I think this is what stayed with me rather than the actual story (which I was a little disappointed with), but I feel it is a story that I may have to return to in the future to gain more from.

The Wavewatcher's Companion
The Wavewatcher's Companion

3.0 out of 5 stars A Misleading Title, 20 Jan. 2014
I think this book title is a little bit misleading as you automatically think it will be about ocean waves, in the same way the `The Cloudspotter's Guide' was all about clouds. However, it is about all the different types of wave that you can think of - x-ray, seismic etc. It was interesting and enjoyable but it did drag in places and I found myself becoming bored in places as information was repeated. Plenty of interesting images and diagrams to further explain what was happening and perfect for reading in small chunks with other books on the go.

Notes From A Big Country: Journey Into the American Dream (Bryson)
Notes From A Big Country: Journey Into the American Dream (Bryson)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but not one of his travel books., 16 Jan. 2014
Not really like the rest of his travel guides as he doesn't travel from place to place but instead writes a series of articles for a British Newspaper based on his comparisons of the US to the UK after moving back to the US. It is filled with his usual witticisms, random facts and statistics, but was broken down into much more random sections and seemed to have no flow between the articles (which wouldn't be necessary if published on a weekly basis). I did find myself relating to some of the articles and while in places it did have the same enjoyment factor as I found in the books where he travelled around it was very easy to pick up and put down due to the shortness of the different articles. A must for a Bryson fan but not necessarily the best introduction and don't be misguided. It is not one of his travel around the places book. All were written for the Mail.

The Secret Scripture
The Secret Scripture
by Sebastian Barry

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Secret Scripture (Paperback)
This was an interesting portrayal of both the religious and political changes which occurred in Ireland at the beginning of the 20th Century, shown from the perspective of a woman who has spent most of her life incarcerated in a lunatic asylum. She gives her point of view of her life and her psychiatrist gives a differing view based on historical records. There is no doubt that Rose has been hard done by but you never truly know if she is sane or not. The ending also came as a complete surprise and not one I had anticipated in any way. It was enjoyable if not a bit meandering in places and had a tendency to repeat itself occasionally due to the different narratives.

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy Book 1)
Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better towards the end, 16 Jan. 2014
I really struggled to enjoy this book. I felt it dragged quite a lot and while it became a little more interesting towards the end when the missionaries came I felt the book dragged a little with not a lot happening. While it was interesting to see how different cultures begin to interact and deal with other as they come towards a more modern world I feel the passion of the African tribes people didn't come through enough with some of them just letting the changes flow over them, which in some respects is a good things as culture and ideas are rarely static but you need to stand up for your ideas and beliefs. I did however enjoy the different traditional stories which interspersed the story itself.

Haunted
Haunted
by Chuck Palahniuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so enjoyable in places, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Haunted (Paperback)
I had read many reviews about how sick and twisted this book was but other that 2-3 of the short stories I really didn't find this. Many of the stories relate to how people react to different scenarios in life, and they serve to make you think about how you would respond. The style of the novel took a while to get used to - a short section about a group of writers at a retreat and their decline in to a form of madness, a poem about one of the characters and then a short story about the same character. Each of the poems and short stories give you an insight into each of the characters and how they respond to being trapped at the retreat. I couldn't bring myself to like any of the characters but I think this is the point. At no time are you meant to be rooting for any of the characters to escape - many of them are depraved characters in their own right and only applied to go on the retreat was to boost their own self serving nature. A good insight into human nature and a very interesting, if not always enjoyable read once you get used to the format of the book.

The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Classics)
The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Classics)
by H.G. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Read Before You Die, 16 Jan. 2014
I thought this was a brilliantly inventive book and allows us to think about what people are actually capable of when left to their own devices. The regression of the `creatures' on goes to highlight the inevitable hierarchy of the animal kingdom, but also shows that without human intervention we can all live harmoniously. It is only humans which cause the problems. Despite being over 100 years old, it is an easy to read, absorbing novel, which I devoured during a Sunday. I firmly believe that this is one book that everyone should read once before they die.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12