Profile for Stephen Crawford > Reviews

Content by Stephen Crawford

Stephen Crawford "stephen_crawford1978" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Eastbound and Down - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Eastbound and Down - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Danny McBride
Price: 14.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible way to go out - what a shame, 5 May 2014
Eastbound has probably been my favourite comedy of the past few years (along with anything Alan Partridge) - I love Kenny Powers' delusions about himself and the beautiful American vulgarity in this show. Kenny is up there with Fawlty, Partridge, Brent etc in terms of a nightmarish character and I have rewatched the first 3 seasons loads of times because there are so many jokes and quips that you can miss on a single viewing. I couldn't understand why they did a fourth season given that they had wrapped it up so well at the end of season 3. This feels so tacked on and underwritten. I don't recall laughing much at anything in this season and by the end of it Kenny and Stevie were just annoying, stupid jerks without any redeeming features. I am so glad I bought the box set of the first three seasons so I can act like this abomination never happened (kind of like the last series of The Thick Of It!).

Man of Steel [DVD]
Man of Steel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd
Price: 5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, pleasantly surprised!, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
First of all I have to state that I am a huge fan of the old Superman movies and thought that this new movie would be ponderous and boring like the recent Batman movies (which I found very disappointing), hence I gave it a miss when it was in the cinema. I watched it on the train yesterday on a small screen with rubbish sound and I could still tell that it is in fact probably the best superhero movie I have ever seen (a title I previously gave to Superman 2, although I do tend to overlook that movies flaws based on some nostalgia for that era!). The script is great, Cavill is excellent as Superman and all the supporting cast are superb. A couple of minor criticisms: the character of Perry White and his scenes are pretty unnecessary in this film, although he will obviously play a bigger role in the sequel. Also there is maybe a bit too much repetition with the action scenes towards the end, but that's a small complaint as this is probably the first time that I was actually grateful for CGI in a movie because Superman's capabilities are pretty unlimited so it was cool to see some of the things he's capable of in great detail. At the end of the day when I go to a popcorn movie like this I want to be entertained, and I would say I was 100% entertained by this movie (the only other recent movie I've seen that did that was The Conjuring).

Can't wait for the sequel - hope there's not too much Batman though!

Steve Coogan Live - As Alan Partridge And Other Less Successful Characters [DVD]
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Coogan still the best, 7 July 2013
5 stars alone for pauline calf reading extracts from her book "she shat herself"! Tommy Saxondale is a tiresome character, doesn't work live at all. Duncan Thicket is one of my favs but too short in this show. Alan is good, but Alan is always good. Overall (so called) sub-standard Coogan is miles better than the rest.

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
by Steve Coogan
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Bouncing back - and how!, 27 Jan 2012
**Review of the audio-book**

I never thought Steve Coogan and his co-writers would ever top the first series of I'm Alan Partridge but the combination of Mid-morning matters and particularly this (audio) book has elevated Partridge to an even higher plane of comedy. I had read some of the book itself and it didn't quite work for me (to quote Rob Brydon!) but listening to Coogan read as Partridge is something else altogether - I was reduced to convulsions of laughter on so many occasions. I worried that Coogan might have gotten tired of Alan, but on this audiobook I'd say he actually loves Alan again (in a kooky, zany kind of way!). I recall Peter Baynham wondering, on a commentary track a few years ago, what it would be like to listen to a full radio show of just Alan yakking on - well this is as close as we will get I think; 7 hours of pure unadulterated Partridge. There are far too many funny lines/images to quote so i'm not going to bother but I will say that I have listened to the audiobook in its entirety around 20-30 times and it cracks me up like nothing else I've seen/heard in the past few years. I think Coogan is a genius and I hope he puts Hollywood on hold for a while and gets back to what he does best which is creating brilliantly observed hilarious characters. In my top three heros of all time I have in no particular order - Lennon, McCartney, and Coogan.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Matt Holness
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best British comedies in recent years, 16 Feb 2011
I've had this dvd knocking around for the last few years and whenever I come back to watch it, it always makes me laugh out loud. Matthew Holness is absolutely brilliant as Garth; he totally inhabits the role of the pompous, self-centred, bitter Merenghi and everything from his leather jacket and tie, to his tough guy walk makes me howl! The 80s production is spot on, and the music is so good that I can't believe it's not lifted directly from some naff 80s show. My fav episode is probably skipper the eye child. From garth's serenade to skipper on the roof of Darkplace (whilst reassuring the memory of his dead half-grasshopper son), to him bloodily battering skipper to death at the end of the episode (you'll have to watch it to understand what I'm on about, otherwise it just sounds mental!), it's original and hilarious. Matt Berry is great too as Doctor Sanchez, with his slightly-off overdubbed voice and arching eyebrows. The one weak link in the show is the Dean Learner character. Richard Ayoade is far too young and gormless to convince as some sort of gangster/playboy and, for me, most of his lines fall flat, especially in the interviews cut in to the show. Most of what comes out of Dean Learner's mouth is just not very funny and he's the weakest character in this, but hey, i'm nit-picking.

There are lots of extras, amongst them a very enjoyable cast commentary on each episode and extended interviews with the characters as well. On the whole, I'd put Darkplace up there with the likes of Partridge and Father Ted, and it could have been even funnier. I hope these guys get back together soon and either resurrect Garth or else get onto new characters because they are genuinely talented, creative and funny, unlike a lot of so called comedians!

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin : The Complete BBC Series Collection [1976] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Warwick
Offered by BIG Bargains
Price: 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Leonard Rossiter = comedy genius!, 13 July 2007
I saw this as a child but could only ever remember Reggie imagining a hippo when mention was made of his mother-in-law! I didn't really get the other humour in it I suppose but that joke did appeal to me!(I preferred Blackadder at that stage). Having revisited this show recently I have to say that this is one of the best comedy shows of all time. Leonard Rossiter is fantastic, a brilliant actor. The script, jokes, everything are flawless. Some of the office exchanges between Reggie and co-workers will put your head in a spin! Great supporting cast, but it's Reggie who steals the show (although honourable mention has to go to C.J. - "I didn't get where I am today without being honourably mentioned, Reggie!"). Also who'd have thought Audrey from Coronation Street could inspire such lust?! No extras but who cares when the show is this good. Buy this DVD and witness some gold old fashioned BBC comedy gold.

This Is Spinal Tap [DVD] [1984] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This Is Spinal Tap [DVD] [1984] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rob Reiner
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 4.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Boogie!, 6 May 2007
One of the greatest comedies of all time. Spoofing the pomposity of rock bands of the time, black sabbath, deep purple, zeppelin etc and getting it spot-on. Such accurate lampooning throughout - from the mini stonehenge, to the band images based on star signs, to the concept album based on Jack The Ripper 'Saucy Jack'!, and so much more. The whole cast are exceptional but of course Christopher Guest & Michael McKean are the standouts. The extras on the special edition are great as well, especially the commentary by the actors staying in character as Nigel, David and Derek. I actually find watching the movie with commentary as funny as the movie itself, so congrats to the boys for staying hilarious after all these years. Rock on and remember you can't dust for vomit!

The Benchwarmers [DVD]
The Benchwarmers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Schneider
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly funny and enjoyable, 6 May 2007
This review is from: The Benchwarmers [DVD] (DVD)
You know what? I actually liked this movie. And that is something I never thought I'd be saying about a Rob Schneider flick. Thank god it doesn't go overboard with gross-out like his other movies. The presence of children in this film probably prevented that. I saw Duece Bigalow European Gigalo before this and it truly was despicable. He's likable enough as an actor but previous movies just go totally overboard with the gross-out factor. David Spade and Jon Heder offer good comedic support, but as always the show is stolen by Jon Lovitz. The scene where he arrives up driving the original bat-mobile had me in convulsions, as did the postbox target practise. He just seems to be totally himself in every movie. No acting required. A total underappreciated genius at work. With the amount of rubbish in cinemas and on dvd today, i was shocked to enjoy this movie. It's no Spinal Tap, or Young Frankenstein but by today's standards, it is well deserving of 5 stars.

Rubber Soul
Rubber Soul
Offered by Not2day Media
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Beatles album ever, 6 May 2007
This review is from: Rubber Soul (Audio CD)
I love this album so much. Every song is a classic, even the normally skipable Ringo & George contributions. It's just bloody fantastic, I can't say much else. Drive My Car, You Won't See Me, Nowhere Man, In My Life ... absolute heaven. Total God-given genius at work throughout. My favourite album cover as well. Dylan influence can be felt throughout, but Dylan has never recorded anything this great. The harmonies on Nowhere Man just knock my socks off every time. Oh how I wish I was born in the late '40s to be a teenager when all this was coming out first time. I love the Beatles for giving me so much pleasure from all their albums. I'd probably put Abbey Road second to this but every album they had was miles ahead of their contempories so why choose? Buy the lot, and whenever you are feeling down or that we are alone in the universe and what is life all about, stick on Rubber Soul and know that everything is going to be just fine!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2008 2:12 PM BST

Physical Graffiti
Physical Graffiti
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaviest of heavy rock, 6 May 2007
This review is from: Physical Graffiti (Audio CD)
Great album from a band at their absolute peak. Disc 1 is pretty much relentless hard rock, side 2 slightly more acoustic - both brilliant however. I love Custard Pie, Houses Of The Holy (can't believe they left this off the previous album - great rocking tune), Kashmir, Wanton Song (fantastic live when Page & Plant opened with it on their last tour), Sick Again, so many classics. I'm just gonna name the lot really. Page & Bonham on top form throughout. Page really was churning out killer riffs like there was no tomorrow on this album and Bonham's drumming never sounded better. Do yourself a favour if you like rock this music - buy this album.

Page: 1 | 2